Sign in to follow this  
dca2

Question On Setup For Gold Ring

A friend of mine lost her gold ring playing softball. It was a family heirloom and she thinks it flew off when she threw a softball. We are sitting 2 weeks since the loss and the field has limited access so it’s unlikely that anyone has detected since the loss. We have a general idea of where on the field it was lost.

I have a 600 and have only used it a few times in my yard. Are there any recommendations as to which program to run and tweaks that will allow me to cover the field quicker and hone in on a woman’s gold engagement-style ring? I also have a Fisher f2 and f44 with a lot of hours. So  I guess the other question is would I be better off falling back on my f44? (But the Equinox is just so fun!)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I would use the machine I know best. It’s a surface target so the model does not matter as much as knowing what you are doing.

The more I think about it, that’s probably what I’ll do, but still bring the EQX in case I do find it and have time to play.

The equinox should work well. Dial back the sensitivity since it's going to be located in the stems of the grass or the first inch layer of mulch or soil. By turning down your sensitivity the detector is going to clue in to finds on the surface which should quiet the machine and make the ring stand out. You don't want to hear anything 3-6 inches down, just on the surface. Women's rings will likely hit between 8-13 so possibly assign a high tone to that area on the nox. 

I'm assuming she lost the ring in the outfield and if so she likely lost it while throwing a ball towards second base. I coached High school softball for nearly 20 years and I can tell you the most common outfield to infield throw is to second base and the area to each side of second. 

This should be an easier one to find as I doubt your competition is another detectorer as unless she broadcast it out there that she lost it, you're the only one looking for it. The only other issue is the mower. This is getting technical but maintenance always mow the fields the same way, same direction. Discharge is usually to the right so it could have been thrown a bit but still on the surface.

Good luck and be sure to post an update an a pic after you find it.

Skate

• Like 2

No luck finding the ring. We gridded the areas 2 times with 2 machines running wide open. That has to be the cleanest field I’ve detected on-hardly any iron, and just a few pennies. (It is very new) Either someone already found it, the lawn mower threw it, or she dropped it in another state!

Thanks for the help,

Dave

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Andreas Schwendener
      Hi everybody,
      I'm a swiss prospector. I use shovel. sluice, pan, pry bars and crevice tools in creeks in Switzerland and Alaska. Till now, I had a Whites GMT VLF detector, to check my spots after I worked them, i.e. to check if I missed some gold. I rarely go prospecting with a detector on large areas, like the aussie or US pros. Now I broke my GMT (after 10 years). I have three options for replacement:
      - a new Whites GMT, i.e. staying with VLF
      - SDC 2300
      - GPZ 7000 (I could buy a used one from a friend)
      It seems to me, the GMT and SDC are better for my application, as they have small coils and are light etc. When I check my spots in the creeks, its often narrow between rocks etc. and I'm not able to make large sweeps with the coil. But the GPZ obviously is far better in depth.
      My question: Is the GPZ also practical for detecting in creeks between rocks etc, as I described above? Or is it only practical to detect large areas like the aussie or US pros?
      Many thanks in advance for your appreciated advice!
      Andreas
    • By Creekboy
      Hi there folks, I have been prospecting for the better part of two years now (I’m 23) and have for the most part stuck to my grandparents property in California finding pickers and occasional small nuggets. I’m now living in Eugene going to school at the university and trying to find the time to get out and put my SDC to work. From what I have heard there is pretty great gold in Southern Oregon and I’m just putting the feelers out to see if anyone might have some useful advise or resources that could point me in the right direction. I’d also like to start making connections with folks in the community so feel free to let me know if you would like to let a young guy tag along or if you have a need for a big truck 
      -Hayden 
    • By phrunt
      I was out detecting with my Equinox and had a solid 21-22 on the VDI numbers, it never flicked off those numbers, it was down about 15 cm's.  I dug it up expecting a NZ $1 or $2 coin, both come up the same numbers.
      I was puzzled when what I ended up finding was a rock looking object
      This is it next to an older NZ 10c coin I found only minutes before hand

To me it looks more like a rock than a bit of metal, I tried to hit it as hard as I could with a hammer to see if it was a chunk of lead or something thinking that would flatten it, it didn't make a mark on it. I then hit it with the back flat end of my Log splitter thinking this will surely do some damage to it, but no, it didn't leave a mark, all it did is cracked the concrete under the mystery object.  This thing is extremely tough.
      It weighs 17 grams and feels quite heavy for it's size and not magnetic.
      What could it possibly be? 

• By Cal_Cobra
      Called my usual dealer, Backwoods, and no eta at all on when he'll get them.
      Anyone know any dealers to check with? 

TIA!
      Cal
    • By vive equinox
      I wonder that because i read To put sensivity To 1 before pump GB is better . 
      I dont belive but anyone know about that ?
    • By Happa54
      Hey everyone...
      There are horse paddocks a few miles from home. I stopped in once before a few months ago and got a merc, some wheats, modern clad, bits and pieces of jewelry and metal grommets or ornaments off of clothing. I dug a bunch of quarters there which tells me that no one is hunting the area. These digs came from the grassy areas surrounding the paddocks. 
      On my return yesterday morning, I decided to go into the paddocks (all the gates are open) to see if I could find rings, bracelets or whatever metal objects my Nox would pick up. The ground is an inch or two of crushed rock, not quite sand, and real gritty. It was like finely crushed gravel...lots of tiny rocks. Below this topping, is some sort of concrete floor or something rock hard. Don't know what it is but my Nox was getting high conduct signals from down under and I couldn't break through. I gave up on it. 
      Here is my scenario...
      I started in Park 1, factory settings. My audio was extremely choppy. No consistent signals. Took off IB, went to 50 tones... still choppy and erratic. I felt myself panicking a little. What to do? I put it in Park 2, factory settings. Still choppy and erratic. Did a couple of noise cancels and ground balances, to no available. I thought to myself, "I'm outta here".  
      Is this what beach hunting is like? No can't be. This was strange and I knew that I have to research and discuss with members on the boards.