Question On Setup For Gold Ring

dca2

A friend of mine lost her gold ring playing softball. It was a family heirloom and she thinks it flew off when she threw a softball. We are sitting 2 weeks since the loss and the field has limited access so it’s unlikely that anyone has detected since the loss. We have a general idea of where on the field it was lost.

I have a 600 and have only used it a few times in my yard. Are there any recommendations as to which program to run and tweaks that will allow me to cover the field quicker and hone in on a woman’s gold engagement-style ring? I also have a Fisher f2 and f44 with a lot of hours. So  I guess the other question is would I be better off falling back on my f44? (But the Equinox is just so fun!)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

The more I think about it, that’s probably what I’ll do, but still bring the EQX in case I do find it and have time to play.

The equinox should work well. Dial back the sensitivity since it's going to be located in the stems of the grass or the first inch layer of mulch or soil. By turning down your sensitivity the detector is going to clue in to finds on the surface which should quiet the machine and make the ring stand out. You don't want to hear anything 3-6 inches down, just on the surface. Women's rings will likely hit between 8-13 so possibly assign a high tone to that area on the nox. 

I'm assuming she lost the ring in the outfield and if so she likely lost it while throwing a ball towards second base. I coached High school softball for nearly 20 years and I can tell you the most common outfield to infield throw is to second base and the area to each side of second. 

This should be an easier one to find as I doubt your competition is another detectorer as unless she broadcast it out there that she lost it, you're the only one looking for it. The only other issue is the mower. This is getting technical but maintenance always mow the fields the same way, same direction. Discharge is usually to the right so it could have been thrown a bit but still on the surface.

Good luck and be sure to post an update an a pic after you find it.

Skate

• Like 3

No luck finding the ring. We gridded the areas 2 times with 2 machines running wide open. That has to be the cleanest field I’ve detected on-hardly any iron, and just a few pennies. (It is very new) Either someone already found it, the lawn mower threw it, or she dropped it in another state!

Thanks for the help,

Dave