Short Bursts Of Intense Static Or Interference

This has been reported by a few people and appears to be traceable to cell phones in pockets seeking a signal or some such thing. If you have a cell phone on you and are getting short periods of strong interference try putting the phone in airplane mode.

• Like 3

It does seem like a phone could be a possible source, (like a phone trying to connect to a wifi signal) some phones have an "extreme power saving mode" it allows for texts and phone calls, but cuts off all everything else. If airplane mode fixes the issue, maybe extreme power saving will also work and allow the phones basic features?

Steve may be referring to my Equinox beach hunt post linked below where I noted the issue as one of the examples.  I am sure there have been other similar reports that Steve has read about or has been informed of to demonstrate a likely link to cell phones as being an issue.

Unfortunately, I use a tracking program on my phone to document my hunts and finds so airplane mode hinders that functionality.  Simply slipping it in my pocket opposite from the control head completely solved the issue for me.  Frankly, the issue was a minor distraction when it was happening and did not really hinder my ability to recover targets, but it was nice to be able to easily resolve the issue just by switching pockets.

• Like 2

I agree, it is interference-by-smartphone. All you have to do is switch the phone to the pocket furthest from the detector. I did it and the "bursts" disappeared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dug D said:

It does seem like a phone could be a possible source, (like a phone trying to connect to a wifi signal) some phones have an "extreme power saving mode" it allows for texts and phone calls, but cuts off all everything else. If airplane mode fixes the issue, maybe extreme power saving will also work and allow the phones basic features?

A couple of days ago on the beach. A friend got close to me with a power mega phone......My Sovereign went nuts, chirping like a canary. So you never know.....

You might want to see if your Bluetooth setting on your phone see the Equinox.  I don't take my phone with me so I don't know.

I have hit a couple of beaches that will not noise cancel out.  I have gone to manual and autoed it numerous times and as I get closer to the road with power lines and underground 'stuff' I just can't get closer.  I think there are pumps and other stuff involved also.

Mitchel

Along those lines...anyone else noticing some kind of audio bug when in pinpoint mode?  The audio volume fades in and out on both my 600 and 800.  Doesn't do it all the time but does it enough I have noticed it.  Only does it in pin point mode, and has done it with both the wired headphones of the 600 and the wireless with the 800.  

• Like 1

I had erratic numbers all over the place with a Whites a few years back. It ended up being a loose ground wire for the coil I was told. It was fixed by an authorized dealer and worked fine after.  
My Safari goes crazy in my back yard under the powerlines and near the transformer pole. I was trying to find a property marker. I tried turning the sencitivity down but it still acted up. I ended up having to use the Pioneer with the small coil. emi can cause some interference.