Gpx 5000 Question

4 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Excellent. What settings were you using? 

4 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Excellent. What settings were you using? 

i have a question what kind of depth should i expect on a nickel size target using the 14 x9 nf evo and what setting would you recommend, my ground is weak i live in Alaska 

I got a .55 gram porous nugget with the 14x9 evo/4500 last may in nevada, at a solid 8" depth, it was not a bell ringer signal but was easy to know something was down there. This was on a thrashed old patch gone over by many machines.

IMG_0871.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mxt Sniper said:

I got a .55 gram porous nugget with the 14x9 evo/4500 last may in nevada, at a solid 8" depth, it was not a bell ringer signal but was easy to know something was down there. This was on a thrashed old patch gone over by many machines.

IMG_0871.JPG

why do i feel as if my gpx 5000 is not working as good as others

Hey Sourdoughmoe,

Glad you kept the NF 8x6, it will be useful in the future for bedrock hunting and working around a lot of rocks, brush and such.  It's one of the best clean up coils after working the area with a "prospecting sized coil" like the 14x9 you got.  My favorite all around coil for detecting is and was the 14x9 elliptical Mono.  If I located a good areas with nuggets, I would work it pretty hard with this coil and then come back at a later time with a larger coil like a 17x13 or bigger round in hopes of larger pieces at depth.  At some point I would return with a small coil or a high end VLF for the dinks.  

I would also recommend doing testing outside, away from the house EMI.  

Thanks once again for your business and friendship.  Wishing you much success with the new toys! 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Sourdoughmoe,

Glad you kept the NF 8x6, it will be useful in the future for bedrock hunting and working around a lot of rocks, brush and such.  It's one of the best clean up coils after working the area with a "prospecting sized coil" like the 14x9 you got.  My favorite all around coil for detecting is and was the 14x9 elliptical Mono.  If I located a good areas with nuggets, I would work it pretty hard with this coil and then come back at a later time with a larger coil like a 17x13 or bigger round in hopes of larger pieces at depth.  At some point I would return with a small coil or a high end VLF for the dinks.  

I would also recommend doing testing outside, away from the house EMI.  

Thanks once again for your business and friendship.  Wishing you much success with the new toys! 

Why does it seem that mine does not go as deep as others

Hey Sourdoughmoe,

Per our text message conversations, I believe depth is so over rated.  There are so many variables when it comes to depth, it's very hard to answer a question like - "How deep will my GPX 5000 go on a 1 gram gold nugget?"  However, this is what people expect is an easy answer to say, for sure it's 6 inches.  

First, without me seeing the test in person, we don't know how it's performed for starters.  The customer could be running the coil 2 inches off the ground, while another customer is scrubbing the ground.  One customer might be using high end headphones, while another is using an external speaker or el-cheapo's from Wal-Mart.  We have no clue what their thershold is, one could be running NO threshold, while another is running their threshold like it's the volume of the detector, full out.  Then you have ground mineralization, characteristic of the gold nugget being tested, settings, timings, coil size, coil type ....... 

As you can see, there are hundreds of combinations how someone might be performing a test to say you may or may not find a 1 Gram at 6 inches.  

Hope you understand, it's a complex question.  

• Like 4

Threshhold in the 2 o'clock position gb normal soil time is sharp coil mode is in mono tracking fixed head phones are grey ghost not the cheap minelab ones all other settings are in factory preset was able to pick up a 22 bullet 2.5grams nine inches was scrubbing the 14x9 evo against the dirt but was able to hear it 2 more additional inches off the ground.

18 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Sourdoughmoe,

I would be happy with those results on a GPX 5000.  Not sure why you get 2 additional inches when you raise the coil off the ground vs. scrubbing it on the ground for max depth.  

Yeah I was able to hear it clear scrubbing it than I raised it to see if I could still hear it and was able to get a noticeable signal 2 more raised inches