Hobbyists Dealer Introduction

Treasuredude

Hello All,

My name is Jeffery Sarvis, and I am a friend of Steve Herschbach. Steve is somebody that I have always respected because he tells it like he sees it...and I appreciate people who are open and honest. After talking with Steve today, he invited me to introduce who I am, as well to what I do. I started metal detecting in late 2006. It was something that I had always wanted to do, but never found time to do. After being married for five years, my wife said, that I needed a hobby other than her...and that how my dream began.

I bought an Ace 250, joined a local treasure (coin) club, as well as a Prospector club. I went to the meetings, took part in the hunts and events, played with my detector everyday, and learned how to operate my detector. After a year had went by, I had found a lot of clad, but nothing of value yet...so I started doing research on where to hunt for gold, coins, and relics...but had always wanted to find gold nuggets the most. So, one day at the prospectors meeting, a member who happen to be a Geologist, had a hand full of nuggets he had brought for show and tell. I was very excited about the gold he had (about 8 ounces). I asked him where he found the gold, and he said, Ganes Creek in Alaska. He shared with me who the contact was, and for the next six months we had a few conversations on where to look if and when I went.

At this time, I was ready to step up to a detector that had more options...so I traded in my Ace 250 and paid the difference for a White's MXT. For the next six months, I learned the MXT inside and out, continued to do research, talked with the Geologist, and waited until June of 2008 came to go to Ganes Creek. So, I got to Ganes Creek on a Sunday, and it was on a Wednesday afternoon that I found my first gold nugget, a 1.3 ounce of gold with quartz. I did my happy dance and was satisfied and content with what I had, but still had three days to go. So, the next morning, I started detecting and thinking about what the Geologist said, about where all the big nuggets were be found...in the cobbles piles. Off I went and got a signal that over loaded the MXT, I took a scoop with my pick, and two inches in the cobbles, I found a 12.3 ounce gold nugget. For the point I was hooked, and contined to find gold every year except 2013.

Now fast forwarding...I have been to Alaska every year since 2008. Ganes (2008, 10, 11, and the last year 2012.) Moore Creek, 2009, and Alaska Gold and Resort in Nome, 2013, 14, and three year in a row.) Three of the trips, Steve was in the group. Today, I am the Owner of Treasuredude Detectors based in Seattle, WA. I am a dealer that sells out of my home, and have a website. I have been a Garrett dealer for the past five years and have just become a Makro and XP dealer. I am not here to be a salesman, and I want you to know that I tell everybody, that I am a hobbyists first, and a dealer second. I am here like Steve to educate, facilitate, promote and protect our hobby. I am a active member of four Treasure clubs here in Washington, an active treasure hunter, offer free, full scope metal detecting trainings, (leave no trace) and will talk you ear off about detecting because this has become my passion

I did join the forum back in September and shared my story of finding just over an ounce of gold in 7 pieces...found at Alaska Gold and Resort... but have not been active with the treasure forums. When I started my business, I wanted to be like Steve and Charles Garrett who are hobbyists as well as dealers. I want to give back like all the people who was there for me in the beginning. Now let me say, that I do not profess to know everything about detecting, and I know that I am not a great writer, but I do know how to use both VLF and PI's. I personally, have found all of my Gold nuggets, gold rings, and silver coins with VLF's (MXT, G2, AT Pro/Gold, and now with the Makro Racer and Gold Racer when released). So, I can address questions in regards to VLF's more because of personal use and choice. However, it my duty as a dealer to know what I sell, so I make it a point to know a fair amount about PI's, but there are members on this forum who know way more then I do, due to their personal experiences. Please feel free to visit my website to see my pictures of my find, and do please visit the about section and you will see, that I am who I say I am. Last of all, I really enjoy metal detecting for the excitement of finding something that has be lost, having the beach to myself, for the exercise, for the freedom, for the hobby and most important, the people I meet. Looking forward to being and active member to this forum.

Thank you,

Jeffery Sarvis
Treasuredude Detectors
Jeffery@treasuredudedetectors.com
www.treasuredudedetectors.com

• Like 2

Nice intro!

Steve, I think you are on to something here. You are creating a space where those who make a living creating, distributing and selling the tools we use and are so generally fascinated by - can tell us about what THEY do. First Nokta, now an enthusiastic dealer.

Perhaps it would be worth an "industry" sub forum eventually.

One of the nice things about this industry is that, for the most part, the manufacturers and others in the sales and distribution chain have been respectful of their competitors. For example, just read some of the stuff Dave Johnson posted on the Tesoro subforum on the occasion of the passing away of Jack Gifford, founder of Tesoro.

Hi Rick,

Well, I was a dealer for 35 years. I figured out early on that a good way to promote myself and my business was to be active on the internet. But how to to that and not irritate people? Very simple, actually. I live my life by simple rules. Number one of course is to try to treat people the way I would want to be treated. Another is that if you give, you will receive. My solution was to just be as helpful as I could be answering questions wherever I could find them. No spin, no agenda, just help people. It is funny but if as a dealer you forget about trying to make money and just focus on helping people - the money just takes care of itself.

I am no longer a dealer but I long since found I just enjoy helping out if I can. I have a passion for metal detecting and that extends into wanting to share that passion with others.

I therefore encourage anyone that shares the passion to do the same. The fact is being a dealer can be a sweet gig because it keeps you immersed in something you enjoy on a daily basis. Dealers also tend to learn a lot and have a lot of facts available about products and pricing. So yes, I do indeed welcome any and all dealers to participate on the forum, as long as they are here first and foremost to share and be helpful. That does not mean never mentioning sales. If a dealer has a killer deal on a used detector, please tell us. Metal detector at half price? I would want to know. If the product or the price rises well above the level of what anyone would normally see, the true smoking deal, let us know. The Classifieds are open for dealer use.

That said, welcome to the forum Jeffery! Thanks for sharing your story and hope we can get details in the future. I am sure some gold photos (12 ounce!!) would go over well. Hope you are able to get out and chase gold again this year. You headed back to Alaska?

Oh yeah, and smart move picking up Makro!

Thank you Rick, Paul,.and Steve for the warm welcome and your comments. I really appreciate being part of such a fine forum, being able to offer help as well as learn from others. To answer your question Steve, I am going back to Alaska for and 8th year in a row...with my buddy, ezdave. We are going back to Alaska Gold and Resort where ezdave found just about three ounces with his ATX, and just over a ounce for myself with my AT Gold. This is really a good place to consider if your in to detecting tailings.

Happy hunting guys,

Jeffery - Treasuredude