XP Deus Vs Minelab Equinox Vs Makro Kruzer

My elliptical Hf Coil must be from the detecting gods. It was in stock beach settings no adjustments. Maybe it’s our sand locally I really don’t know but it sure did very well. I’ve read on other forums about how smooth and quiet the HF Elliptical Coil is from others that own and use it. I just updated to 5.21 last night and I hope it continues to perform as it did on the dry and damp sand in version 4.1.

• Like 1

On July 19, 2019 at 7:03 AM, goldbrick said:

That is interesting. Some detectorists have come down with Equinox derangement syndrome, much to their detriment I think (hint,hint,Strick. LOL). That elliptical coil on the Deus is deadly in pitch mode in relic scenarios.

Just now seeing this...been all caught up in the X coil and "Mans best friend" threads... Merton you are right something I really hate to admit lol I know the Deus is probably a better relic machine  (in iron) then the Nox...but I've never really clicked with the menu in the deus and then the updates seem to complicate things. I'm more of a cave man...beep and dig type of detectorist...The Nox menu and screen quality make the Deus appear more like Apollo 11 (deus) vs Space shuttle (Nox) so the Nox  clicks better for me...sadly I've been thinking of selling the Deus since I have not ever used it since the Nox came out. Anybody know anyone ? Have HF elliptical never used before. 

strick

• Like 2

That’s an excellent point strick. We are all individuals and different machines just “click” one way or another. The truth really is that a skilled detectorist can make finds with many different detectors. I was doing great years ago before any of these detectors existed, and if all I could have was a $400 detector I would still do well. Good locations and effort along with knowing whatever detector you have is the real key to success, not any one “magic stick”.

True story but the thing I like most about the Deus is the hand grip. That machine is extremely comfortable for me. And the way it just compacts down so easily. The Equinox hand grip took time for my hand to get used to. It was uncomfortable at first. Now my hand has adjusted with use (they actually do) and it’s a non-issue for me, but I know Deus users that tried Equinox and went right back to Deus just over that one factor. It’s the little things that often matter once you get to the point where any one of a dozen machines will work. 

In my case though I have been trying for decades to get to where I could use just one detector for everything and Equinox being waterproof out of box puts me in that camp, all other things being equal. I do like to get in the water now and then and have no interest in the Deus waterproofing kit. Again, that’s just me, but it’s things like that where many people make decisions and the scales tip one way or the other.

In a way the Equinox radically changed my detecting life. I have been trying multiple machines per year for the last 20 years and never had less than a half dozen and often many more. With Equinox I finally became satisfied. It’s not perfect but for me it hit “good enough” across the board. Good enough for coins. Good enough for jewelry. Good enough for relics. Good enough for gold prospecting. Good enough for water detecting. There are specialized machines that can edge it in certain area, like Deus in dense iron or maybe Gold Bug 2 on the tiniest of tiny bits. But across the board for somebody that wants to do it all with one detector? It’s the one for me until a better one comes out.

I still have a few machines sitting around just because I have not gotten rid of them yet, but doubt they will see much if any use before they go since I always grab the 800. The only one I have to keep is the V3i and that is simply because it runs my Bigfoot coil. It’s not the machine... I almost prefer the DFX really, but the coil that keeps it in the collection.

I am boycotting PI (or GPZ) type machines until somebody makes what I want. The PI models are all 20th century units and most are ergonomic messes or too low power. The GPZ costs too much, weighs too much, and Minelab dropped the ball on coils. Price I can bend on but I’m done supporting detectors that need harnesses with my purchasing dollars. Once I get that machine, if ever, I am pretty much done.

It will be nice when I get done weeding and cleaning house. I have had a large area devoted to metal detecting and prospecting gear for the last 40 years. Soon it will all fit in a closet or a trunk. Far better for my downsizing lifestyle! :smile:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW, Steve

that is quite radical. One detector for nearly everything rather than an entire herd.

I am down to two(Gpz and 800)...probably will sell the 7000 when I finally yield to good sense...

but the 800 stays to the end! Maybe......

thanks

• Like 4

The best detector is the one you have the most time and confidence in. I took the time to learn the Deus and I was rewarded greatly. When I used it it was the best detector out there.....for me.

When the equinox came out I invested hour's after hour's learning it, not the buttons, programs etc., but what a good and bad target sounded like in each of the programs. To this day all I do is select a stock program based on the location I'm detecting and do a noise cancel, ground balance and go. I wouldn't know iron bias other than to sit here and tell you I'm definitely against iron, always have been and always will be. I'm an ironphobe.

The best detector you will ever own and use is the one between your ears. The deus, nox or the makro just tells you what it thinks might be in the ground, it's up to your experience via hearing and digging that makes all the difference.

I don't want to be the best at knowing what a particular detector can do, I want to be the best at using that detector.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 4:24 AM, Skate said:

The best detector is the one you have the most time and confidence in.

The best detector you will ever own and use is the one between your ears. The deus, nox or the makro just tells you what it thinks might be in the ground, it's up to your experience via hearing and digging that makes all the difference.

Very well said!