Is There A Technique For Al Screw Caps?

dca2

I spent a couple of hours on curb strips in my area that date back to the late 1890’s. The houses are long gone, but the squared off curbs and sidewalks are still there. I can’t get a shovel down without hitting broken glass. I got fooled by more aluminum screw caps from cheap wine and liquor pints.

I’ve read and have a decent grasp on wiggle back giving an iron grunt on crown caps but is there anything for these stupid aluminum ones?

If you want Nickels and/or Gold, your best discriminator is your eyes and digging tool, unfortunately.  If you are willing to pass on these, then notch out anything less than 19/21 or notch in Nickels 12-15, too.  I am all in on all metal (Chase Goldman, right?), so I keep the aluminum recycling industry in business. Lol.  Aluminum is a cruel joke by someone upstairs who didn't want to make it too easy for detectorists to find lost gold at parks and beaches.

• Like 2

The smashed aluminum caps ring up nice for sure.. I’m not sure there would ever be a way to weed them out since there is no iron in them.  Sounds like you have a more then average amount of them in that location.. I probably average one or two per hunt so they really aren’t much of a problem for me..

The Equinox is an awesome curb strip detector even with the 11” coil on it..  The amount of aluminum in the average curb strip is so overwhelming that I usually only cherry pick silver and copper while hunting them..

Yesterday I set up a two tone program in Field 1 with my tone brake at 18, Recovery at 7 and pulled some silver dimes, IHs and wheats from a strip I had already hunted with my CTX.. Love this Detector!

Bryan

• Like 3

Damn! That means cherry pick and let the nickels lie in those curb strips. The engineer that comes up with the formula will gain sainthood!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been able to separate the screw caps from pennies and dimes.. I had a dime today lying on top of a screw cap and the dime gave the stronger signal even though I was picking up the screw cap as well

Guest Tnsharpshooter
On March 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM, dca2 said:

Damn! That means cherry pick and let the nickels lie in those curb strips. The engineer that comes up with the formula will gain sainthood!

No, you can dig nickel signals 12/13 without fear of the aluminum screw caps.

Screw caps usually come in 21-23 with warbly tone.  And are generally shallower.  So strength of tone and lifting coil you can weed some out.  Copper and silver expect 24 plus readings.

It will be zinc pennies mostly that could be missed by not digging the 21-23 signals. Zinc pennies like to read 20-21.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I will add a little tidbit here.

800 model users this will be easier to do.

Depth meter.

Not overly accurate.

So a tip.

Folks can experiment.  Get you a few dimes, pennies. And aluminum screw caps.

See if you can find a low sensitivity reading where say 3" or 4" coins and screw caps drop out tone wise.

Users may find level 8 setting give or take might work.  So set this in your user profile.

And use your user profile program with low Sens to be your eyes and ears for the deeper stuff.

So when toggling to user profile and the signal drops out, would mean deeper target.

Might even consider using 5khz too along with low sensitive, this way you can weed out those steel caps shallower too.

Just thought I would share.

20 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

See if you can find a low sensitivity reading where say 3" or 4" coins and screw caps drop out tone wise.

Users may find level 8 setting give or take might work.  So set this in your user profile.

And use your user profile program with low Sens to be your eyes and ears for the deeper stuff

I just tried this and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think sensitivity level can be saved in the user profile.  I think User Profile only saves local settings and sensitivity is a global setting.