For a long time the standard in VLF detectors was 12V operation. Eight AA cells, perhaps still the best example being White's Electronics and their AA battery pack.

There are a few detectors running a single 9V battery, like the Gold Bug Pro, but they are pretty rare. Tesoro is the main proponent on a few models. The new standard is 6V or four AA cells. Many examples there like the X-Terra 705, AT Gold, or FORS Gold.

Now we have the new Fisher F11, F22, and F44 running off two AA batteries. 3V operation.

There is no direct connection to battery voltage and depth in modern VLF detectors. In general I have always looked at more battery mass as simply meaning longer battery life. But even that appears to no longer be true. New low current designs are getting good running times out of fewer batteries.

Nothing earth shattering here, just a general observation. The main thing we are seeing is the overall reduction in weight possible by using fewer batteries.

Just a FYI. The main drain on batteries is the detector speaker system. Number one way to boost running time? Use headphones.

Great information Steve. I especially appreciate the heads up on the economy of headphones. I didn't know that.

It really is amazing the advancements of battery technology

Thanks,

Mike

The way to go with something as mobile as a detector is a kinetic energy or piezoelectric cell. Basically it is a cell charged by movement. So as you spend all day swinging that detector and wandering up and down a field your physical movements would be transformed by the cell into electricity, which can power the detector. These kind of cells are in their infancy, but are becoming more and more widespread. Runners can use them to charge their ipods as they are working out etc. In this latter case, I think they use sensors in the shoe which harness the pressure of the foot impacting on the ground.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Many years back, I suggested to one of the big dogs at Coiltek or one of those down under manufacturer/supplier/designer of Minelab

, that they needed to come up with a detector battery recharging means, by using a solar set up on a hat or even a small solar panel on the battery enclosure itself, and contacts within, that would complete the charging circuit, with the battery in place,to make it all happen.  The response at the time was "we'll have to put on our thinking caps on that one." The way things are going right now in regard to the battery systems that we have in the new metal detectors, I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the works where are solar might very well be utilized to recharge while we detect.                                                                                                                                                Gary