Sign in to follow this  
phrunt

Some VLF Nugget Detectors Compared

For a bit of a test of my VLF's I put the bits of gold I found on this prospecting trip into small plastic bags and put one at a time in a big bucket of gravel I got from one of the two creeks we found the gold at, I threw a handful of my daughters black sand collection into the bucket and mixed it around to make it a bit more realistic of a test. I also added a 2 gram test nugget I purchased on a local auction site some time ago for the test, in the hope one day I find one :laugh:, it is smaller than the nugget John found on this trip but it must be thicker.  I buried the nuggets down at around the 5cm mark, the same sort of depth we found them at as they were mostly in bedrock, one at a time and run each of my detectors over it, excluding the Go-Find as I knew it had no hope, started at the smallest nugget and worked my way up.  I put the most suitable coils for Gold prospecting on each detector that I had and put them in all metal mode when available.

IMG_20180318_205327.thumb.jpg.09ef1f3bf383f51cd1b4e4e481c7a0b4.jpg

IMG_20180319_131904.thumb.jpg.f1c2240aa184ab0936115ce751307ea7.jpg

Starting left to right

Equinox 800, GM1000 with 5" coil, Gold Bug Pro with Nel Snake Coil, Gold Bug Pro with Cors Fortune Coil (Nel Sharpshooter), I also used the GBP 10" elliptical on this one,  T2 with 5" Coil, Garrett Euroace with Nel Tornado Coil. 

I wanted to know which detectors I own would have found the nuggets I found with John to work out which are suitable to do the same job as my GM1000 in that situation with the size gold we found.  All were in default settings, sensitivity at max and the Equinox in Gold 1 and all were ground balanced to the buckets gravel.

Knocked out of the competition immediately was the Garrett Euroace. Nothing at all from it on all 8 nuggets.  All other detectors picked up all the nuggets except the T2 missed the smallest nugget of the 8 but got all the others fine. 

Moved down to 10cm and had the same results.

Moved down 15cm and the T2 lost the smaller nuggets and struggled on the bigger ones, the GM1000 got a erratic on its gold probability meter on the smaller ones and the bigger ones were getting harder to to get a stable probability,  The GBP lost the smaller ones on all coils and was getting faint on the bigger ones and the Equinox was really struggling and only signalled on them as the center of the coil past them, the edges of the coil got nothing at all on all nuggets.

Moved down 20cm, T2 was out, GM1000 lost the smaller ones completely, erratic on the bigger ones, GBP signal was getting faint but still a dig on all coils only on the biggest ones, smaller were still gone, Equinox lost all but the biggest ones. 

Down to 25cm, GM1000 was out, GBP still faint on the biggest ones on all coils, Equinox was faint but still there on the biggest ones.

At 30cm all were out except the most faint signals on the GBP with Cors Fortune and the 10" Elliptical which I wouldn't dig as sounded too much like normal ground noise, and the Equinox was the same but giving a slightly better signal than the GBP and maybe I would dig it.

These were the winners for me!  GM1000, then Equinox followed closely by the Gold Bug Pro's with various coil options.

IMG_20180319_131757.thumb.jpg.bdaadebae73ab4cd46388cb0fba0790a.jpg

With any of these combinations I could find the same size nuggets in the same ground, except the Equinox's big coil would let me down.

The T2 did surprisingly well and I see why it was a popular prospecting detector but prefers bigger nuggets, however it's still the most comfortable detector I own.  The GBP's are really good machines, I take back everytime I doubted their ability, it was my ability that was the problem, not the GBP, I was just in ground that didn't have big enough nuggets for them.  As for tiny nuggets the GM1000 and Equinox are the only suitable machines I own.

I really want Minelab to bring out that 6" for the Equinox now as I think it will do very well.

This was by no means an accurate test, I was just working out what detectors I have that can find these nuggets so if my wife or anyone wanted to use one I wouldn't be wasting their time using one as the Monster is firmly in my hands when I go detecting from now on until perhaps the Equinox gets a smaller coil.

The other reason I wanted to do this test was because I liked John's 6" GB2 coil so much for the task, and my Nel Snake 6.5 x 3.5 for the Gold Bug Pro is the same sort of size and shape.  I will try out my GBP at the same creek sometime with that Nel Snake and see how it performs in the real world.

08_2_nel_snake_en.png

Fisher-5-x-10-Inch-Elliptical-Search-Coi

Seeing his GB2 in action made me want a GB2 :laugh: but my next and possibly final detector for some time is going to be a GPX 4500.

• Like 6

Nice test i got 2 snakes 1 of my GMP and one my boosted lobo and i got the fisher same size coil on my f75 DST i only search in hight trash and i am having fun with those 3!!!

RR

• Like 1

I haven't really used my Snake yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a go now that I've seen kiwijw's similar sized coil in action.  It's a great shape for prospecting.

I'm glad you like your Snakes.

Nice test phrunt...., I have Tek. G2 -and 3 coils, for comparison , in discrimination -it cors schrew coil -nel snake is the most sensitive to thin gold chains- ..4cm  , 11 "DD coil-  2cm..., and 13" ultimate coil - 1cm ...

• Like 1

I bought the lobo ones when it came out cost me 114 english pounds then when i got the f75 DST i thought lets get rid of it but the f75 isn't as sneaky as the lobo.........so i bought another one .On the GMP i am loving it too,found gold at the first session.

3 years ago we did an archeological survey at the Royal Maritime College in Greenwich(UK) we were 5 of us plus archeologist and on a small area day 1 i took my deus and 9" coil on all metal found few bits

day 2 i took the vista gold with the 5" same few bits

day 3 i thought well won't find much took the lobo +Snake and then i smashed the day!!!!!!!!! ,one of my mate was wondering what was happening with my machine i found tiny silver coins and 3 nuremberg token which aren't small on a area pounded by other machine for 3 days .Snake on a good machine is a deadly combo.

RR

• Like 1