Facing Reality...the Equinox Indeed Has Obsoleted Single Frequency VLF Detectors

Most high gain VLF's can and will see much smaller nuggets than .4 and .3g. In VLF terms that is quite a large nugget.

As good as all multi frequency machines they do most things very well where as dedicated machines have one main objective that is their strong point, The ML GPX and the SDC are first class examples of this along with the GBII and the GMT and the GM1000 and the Gold Racers,

The down side to multi frequency machines is that they excel at a certain frequencies but not so well at others, The Eureka Gold was one such a machine as was the model it replaced and the one before that etc and I am sure that other brands suffered the same problem, This I think ? might be caused by the tuning of the coils and as to which frequency the coil is tuned to, IE a 7khz won't work on a 14khz but on a multi frequency machine the machine it's self compensates for that some how allowing it to use such a coil, companies like ML and XP have done amazing things in order to make them work, But in certain areas like prospecting Single frequency machines still have the edge. 

19 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

It has not made anything obsolete, My machines have not stopped working just because a company uses false claims in order to market a new machine

That is not what the word obsolete means. Making products obsolete does not mean the earlier products stop working.

19 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

It has been said a thousand times that the VLF market has not made any progress since 1998/99 and the fact still remains

I disagree.

4 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

But in certain areas like prospecting Single frequency machines still have the edge. 

That remains to be seen. I am seeing no reason at all why Multi-IQ will not supplant single frequency prospecting machines. They are at an inherent disadvantage to true multifrequency. The Eureka was not multifrequency but switchable single frequency.

minelab-multi-ig-frequency-range-diagram.jpg

I really don't see what all the fuss is about.   The Equinox doesn't add any additional discrimination ability,  it doesn't give more stable id, it doesn't go deeper than any of the other good units.  It doesn't even look good.   So I'm totally at loss as to the sudden attraction.   The only thing I can figure out is that the marketing job was so good that people are just being swept up along even if they really aren't that interested in it.   From where I stand, my F75LTD, V3, and new Etrac all outperform it for what I use them for.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment, either.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Now all the hype has all died down the equinox appears to be another very useable machine, the terminology "Obsolete" in many peoples mind paints a picture of ( The End ) or no longer needed when this is truly not the case, And I think that the use of such a word was directed to annoy other companies and users alike in order to get them to buy one just to see if it was true.

There are some nice machines out there but I would prefer a single frequency version of the CTX without the R2D2 sounds and with a normal 2 digit readout more like a high tech version of the musketeer, but using the CTX design/body allows for using larger coils, As nice as all these new machines are there is not one brand that I would buy, apart from one of Detech's models which has the layout of a GPX.

I don't buy in to the weight argument because the same people who discuss light weight vlfs are the same people who swing 7 lb detectors with 3 lb coils, Just because a machine is a VLF I don't see why it has to have a weight limit.

Back On Track,, Like the GM I believe the EQ is a great asset to detecting, it's too early to judge the machine but just like the GM before it the EQ is going to put the fun back in to detecting. 

13 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I don't buy in to the weight argument because the same people who discuss light weight vlfs are the same people who swing 7 lb detectors with 3 lb coils

As one of those people I don’t buy the argument that just because some detectors weigh too much that it should not be a goal to have lighter weight detectors. I don’t think ANY detector should weigh over 4 lbs, period, and that under three pounds is a worthy goal.

I guess the marketing spin I see everywhere is getting under my skin.  I'll have to start treating it like I do the mainstream news; Tune out and Turn off.    That and post more about what I care about.

HH

Mike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

I guess the marketing spin I see everywhere is getting under my skin.  I'll have to start treating it like I do the mainstream news; Tune out and Turn off.    That and post more about what I care about.

HH

Mike

It's easy to forget that this hobby is about the finds and good company and Awesome views, nothing else matters least of all the companies, give me a great bunch of blokes/Gals sharing the fun any day.  :wink:

• Like 1

Equinox has 8 different programs - it means 8 different multifrekvenci specialized detectors ...for one price-   the detector is very stable, so there is no problem to do a special type of coil, for example a small 6 ", 6x10" gold coil, or 12x15 coil on the deep equinox is a good detector piece - a physics and mathematics can not be deceived - and that's good ..

• Like 1

EL Nino, My F75 has 7 different programs.  Each one specialized.   My V3 has two different multi-freq programs that let me see what the target looks like in all three frequencies it uses.  I can zoom in and enhance it with one of the single frequency expanded looks or see what it looks like in various graph options.   Further more I can make almost anything I can think up with it.   Can't get more specialized than that.    My new to me Etrac has a special little feature called trash density high setting that combined with a two dimensional grid discrimination feature seems almost like magic.   From a pure discrimination standpoint, even my lowly Tek does better than the Equinox.  So all this hype about obsoletion is bogus.   

HH
Mike

• Like 1