Facing Reality...the Equinox Indeed Has Obsoleted Single Frequency VLF Detectors

The fact that early adopters of the Equinox are even debating ML's statement--really just an advertising slogan--that it renders single-frequency machines obsolete shows that the Equinox has so far been very well received. Assuming ML comes out with some reasonably-priced coils, it should provide stiff competition to other new general-purpose mid-priced machines including the Impact and multi Kruzer. I'm reasonably sure the Equinox tells us something about the next generation of the ET/CTX line.  But I doubt we'll see movement in the other direction; that is, ML probably doesn't plan to introduce a low-cost Multi-IQ machine to compete against the vast array of single-frequency detectors further down the price line, so that's probably where things will stop for now.

Steve,

None, nada, zip.     I'm just the guy on the sidelines throwing rocks because his friends all went off to play somewhere else. :wacko:

Where is my Gold Kruzer?    The wait is driving me bonkers.

HH
Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Now, no reason for new detectors, remember? :laugh: There are not many detectors I am interested in but Gold Kruzer is one of them. What the GMT or Gold Bug 2 could have been if they were ever updated. Equinox may be getting the buzz but it is Nokta / Makro that is poised to obsolete a lot of competitive product from slower moving companies.

Mike, I have no doubts about the multifrequency Spectra V3 is a very good detector, and I also know you are  very experienced detectorist - not just because of the Spectra ... I  wrote 1.5 years ago on fore whites. usa need new SpektraV4 and use 4-5 F multifrequency, to select 2-3 frequency for best data, or corelate-the type of search -3f multi is still a compromise. I use Spectra and 10 coils, and it's my detector favors ..- but I have my deficiencies due to the speed of multifrequency, and rapid separation = signal.... Equinox has brought several answers .... and that's just fine ...

1 hour ago, auminesweeper said:

That 12x15 coil is going to be a wrist breaker without a counter balance

Just shorten the length and move the sweep in closer to the body. Some people cause issues for themselves just by swinging too wide, even with a 3 lbs. detector. 

If that doesn't do it for someone, different folks on this forum have shown useful ways to put recharge batteries below the elbow rest.  There are more simple and creative modifications coming too, like stands and such that can easily counter balance to anyone's custom fit.

If none of that suits someone, there is always the route of using the weight assists typically employed for much heavier machines, those really work on any machine.

No need for anybody to break a wrist with any machine really.

3 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

Just shorten the length and move the sweep in closer to the body. Some people cause issues for themselves just by swinging too wide, even with a 3 lbs. detector. 

If that doesn't do it for someone, different folks on this forum have shown useful ways to put recharge batteries below the elbow rest.  There are more simple and creative modifications coming too, like stands and such that can easily counter balance to anyone's custom fit.

If none of that suits someone, there is always the route of using the weight assists typically employed for much heavier machines, those really work on any machine.

No need for anybody to break a wrist with any machine really.

Shortening the shaft only helps so much and you should not have to modify a new machine with after market battery packs so you can use larger coils.

• Like 1

Getting back to my original post let me pose this question that will need some objective and rational thinking.

In the next two years how many new design single frequency VLF's by the major manufacturers will be released?  And when I say new I don't mean cranking up the decal machine.  And even though the French Speaking Pulse Devil Jr. has been promised that should not be included in the mix because I have a better chance of hitting the Lottery.

Another way of thinking about the question.  If you could teleport the Equinox platform back in time to just before the design phase of a whole raft of detectors, i.e. F75, T2, V3, AT etc etc.  Would those designs have ever gone forward with the time and resources devoted to them, based on expected return against an Equinox platform?  If you are the CEO are you going to give the go ahead based upon whatever sales projections that you might have?

Remember the Equinox 600 price will be trending downward, especially since Minelab/Codan will be able to recoup their R&D and manufacturing setup costs very quickly with the amount of demand.

49 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Shortening the shaft only helps so much and you should not have to modify a new machine with after market battery packs so you can use larger coils.

Quibble about the minutia, and make small arguments against Equinox all you like.  If you are coming from a place like Mike...

2 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm just the guy on the sidelines throwing rocks

fair enough, experienced detectorists can deal with that for what it is.  However, there are also the less experienced/informed out there who are trying to make wise buying decisions about how to spend their hard earned dollars.  They can get distracted and confused more easily by the minutia.  So, it is important for someone to point out the broader perspective, like I did there, and many others do on this forum every day.  Nit picking is fine, as no product is ever 100% perfect, BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) muddying the waters for the inexperienced is not always helpful here. This is a learning environment for all of us at various levels, and for new people in a big way. 

There are MANY very good reasons why the Equinox is routinely compared to detector 2-3 times more expensive.  The other manufacturers KNOW they are in trouble now in the $600 - $1500 price range if they don't up their game.  Throwing pebbles from the sidelines only buttresses these larger realities (Is that what you intended all along??).  It is important for the prospective buyer reading here, for whom that amount of money is significant, that knowledgeable people point out how minor the arguments against Equinox are, and how strong the arguments for Equinox are. Yes, you might find some detector that is better at this or that response in this or that particular situation (the very reason I wouldn't use the word "obsoletes" if I was Minelab's  marketing director), BUT across the board??  No way. Equinox outdistances the competition by a good margin, if you don't already have a whole arsenal of detectors. In many instances, even people who do have a whole arsenal of detectors and tons of experience agree.

I own one, and I know it isn't 100% perfect, but for someone new, I don't see any competitors that even come close in Equinox's price range.  THAT is the bottom line newbies need to know and hear clearly before the noise and masking try to cover it up.

So, thanks, sincerely, Mike Hillis and auminesweeper for offering small ways Minelab might be able to up their game.  I want my next detector to be 100% perfect too.  I'm just glad I got my Equinox 800 before your arguments had any influence to dissuade me from a great purchase.

If it sounds like there is any vitriol to my words, don't take it that way.  I really do think the quibbling is important for all the competitors in this field to hear, so they all know what we want/like.  That way they know how to make products that will make us all even happier customers. :biggrin:  I agree the counter balancing could be better, but not to the point it would indicate anything like a different purchase decision. It is easily improved.

I'm not a Minelab fanboy either.  My wallet is ready to spend on whomever's product performs the best for me.  I advocate the same for everyone else, whether they agree with my assessments or not.

• Like 2