My Folded Equinox Modification

14 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

For the Equinox I would think not so much of a problem,

I'm pretty sure the bottom shaft of the Equinox is not metal.  It seems plastic, or it might be composite, but they are almost certainly keeping nonwire metal away from the magnetic field the coil generates.

The reason I would use carbon fiber is simply for aesthetics, not weight.   

If I bent the aluminum upper shaft, I'd very likely use carbon fiber as a replacement just for the strength/resilience of it. I'm guessing it's tougher than aluminum. Sexier looking too!

Maybe nothing if you dont hunt like i do a good many days a week IN the water.   That aluminum over time blisters inside which can lock a shaft up not cleaned and put up over night.   For me...... the 3 piece is great as a light weight travel shaft but in the water it takes to much torque and the locks will give out causing a lot of coil wabble.   use what you have of course..... but i change all of mine over to CF.   Mine are normally longer upper shafts using a shorter lower and i rarely take um apart.   I also drill a hole at the bottom of the lower shaft to let sand and water out as i come out of the water.  You'd be amazed how much sand stays in there.

A very clever mod Relicmaster. 

great for the traveller.

Maybe you should be on the Minelab design team ? :smile:

anyway,  well done .

I've been playing around with a few things myself. Added a visor to the control box, ☠ iron on to my arm cuff strap, and a flashlight/powerbank/pinpointer holder to the shaft for now. More to come. Ground was frozen on one of my permissions but I wanted to see if I'd get some high conductive hits since it was pretty well cleaned out before by many top machines. I did get some very promising new hits. Bummer I couldn't dig them.

IMG_9603.thumb.JPG.3d7026d5b763d2024147a633ee7459ca.JPG

IMG_9604.thumb.JPG.df0461f6e4f1df3d722b929e8e30d0de.JPG

• Like 2

Nice visor Cipher, I haven't had mine out in direct sunlight yet, but that's a simple sun shield and I think I might borrow your design. 

• Like 1