My Folded Equinox Modification

I discovered another benefit to the folding design. The folding mechanism has automatic detents every I think 18 degrees and if I lock the lower rod and coil one detent before straight, it mimics the feel and ergonomics of an s-shaft, by butting the coil center directly under the control pod and handle. Compared to straight shaft, it feels lighter and easier yet to swing.  It also places the swing of the coil about 6" out from my feet, as an s-shaft would.  I'll try it in the field next time out. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, relicmeister said:

I discovered another benefit to the folding design. The folding mechanism has automatic detents every I think 18 degrees and if I lock the lower rod and coil one detent before straight, it mimics the feel and ergonomics of an s-shaft, by butting the coil center directly under the control pod and handle. Compared to straight shaft, it feels lighter and easier yet to swing.  It also places the swing of the coil about 6" out from my feet, as an s-shaft would.  I'll try it in the field next time out. 

That’s very cool relicmeister.

• Like 2

Thanks, BeachHunterimage.thumb.jpg.a7cb31364ad93fc083f57b99662c102e.jpg

so I used the 800 today in the 6:35 configuration, and there is no doubt about it, its ergonomically superior to the straight shaft, IMO. The only drawback was that the detector didn't want to rest on the stand due to the bend. So in this case, it will benefit from a bigger stand. This is what I came up with using extra detectoimage.thumb.jpg.58c39067abefac8d46beac81ac871542.jpgr stuff. The stand tubes retract individually so the equinox fits into the racket bag. 

I ran it at a fishing spot used since early 1800s in park 2 recovery speed 8 and using GB tracking. Here are my finds. Coins mostly clad except for 1950 Roos. 

On 3/28/2018 at 9:41 PM, roddosnow said:

Did you thermoform your visor yourself? or did you buy it?

I made it from sticky backed foam from wal-Mart. It's in the arts and crafts section. It comes in a pack of basic colors. I cut two pieces to make it. One larger piece and one smaller piece. I placed them back to back, so that no excess sticky part would be exposed, and left the bottom third of the the larger piece exposed to adhere to the machine. It works very well and wil not leave any residue on a tear off. So far it has stayed put, but I'm considering ways I could put it on and take it off without relying on the adhesive. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:52 AM, ☠ Cipher said:

It works very well

What time of day is it effective?  Considering the angle of the screen in relationship to the sky it doesn't seem that a visor that small would offer much shading especially since one is moving in random directions?

I probably should've qualified that. When I say it works very well, I'm referring to the adhesive. My design is completely aesthetic. I'm not sure I'll ever have glare issues. I didn't with the V3i or the MX Sport, but liked the look of a visor on them. The CTX too, for that matter. The Equinox is a very plain looking machine and this I felt helped jazz it up a bit, that's all. I payed $3.50 for the material, of which I had a ton of excess, so if glare does become an issue, I'll make a taller version. Too tall and wind could be an issue for it, but I would imagine this design would work functionally well at dawn - couple hours past and again at a couple hours up to dusk depending on your orientation. Remember that the screen will be tilted toward you when in use as well. A visor only has to cast a shadow greater than the screen area and at these times the shadow should be longest. When the sun is directly overhead or thereabouts I don't know that visor would be completely helpful nomatter the size (without looking silly) but that's just a guess. There could be a design I'm not visualizing that would make a liar out of me. 

• 2 weeks later...

These arm rest covers for the Sovereign etc fit the Equinox well and look nice. $25-$30 on eBay, Amazon, Serious Detecting etc. IMG_9744.thumb.JPG.a9732f3b600937bff5a9e65d4cbd1928.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...