Depth Meter And Target Id's

Tiftaaft

18 hours ago, MPL said:

I stopped looking at my depth meter because mine doesn't appear to be accurate at all. Almost every target indicates 8-10 inches but when dug targets are usually closer to 4-6". Makes me wonder what coin they calibrated it too. I don't even use the pinpoint, I just drag the coil toward me until the signal stops. Easier for me.

I'm guessing the Equinox is calibrated to quarter sized coins, in neutral soil by what it says in the manual. The arrows on the Equinox scale = 2" (approximately) for each arrow. I started counting the arrows on the depth gauge as 1" for targets falling in the penny/dime ID range. This seems to be effective so far, and more accurate in my highly mineralized soil.  I'm still very new to this machine and learning everyday.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was searching around a abounded house ( built in 1946),  right down the street from me. I picked up a target mark of 34 at max depth with my equinox 800. i ended up digging down to 14 inches in the wet soil only to come up with a tin foil from an Easter egg from cad-berry chocolate.

has anyone else had this issue come up when the target ID is deep in wet soil?

18 minutes ago, Hammer&tongs said:

I was searching around a abounded house ( built in 1946),  right down the street from me. I picked up a target mark of 34 at max depth with my equinox 800. i ended up digging down to 14 inches in the wet soil only to come up with a tin foil from an Easter egg from cad-berry chocolate.

has anyone else had this issue come up when the target ID is deep in wet soil?

The size, quality, shape and depth of the aluminum will definitely cause larger, crumpled or wadded up aluminum to act like a mid to high conductor. If it read max depth, the Nox got that right. I have dug 12 to 14" deep, 2" square or so aluminum siding fragments, crumpled up into a blob aluminum cans and tightly balled up quarter sized aluminum foil that came in at 25 to 35. Did you check for iron before digging it?  Were the high tone or tones a little fractured and crackly? If you didn't hear any iron and the tones sounded fluty and nice well, that could have easily been a silver quarter, half or dollar or a really large silver ring.  I know it sucks but you gotta dig those. You and the Nox did good!!!!!! 

Jeff

• Like 5

I dig all the ID target number. since I am just starting out and one huge learning curve but I have to say it is fun as hell to be part gopher and to find coins that have been lost over time.

I feel like I am digging up pirates treasure that they buried long time ago in the ground.

by the way does anyone have a copy of the free target ID cards for a minelab 800. I am still not sure on the target ID numbers and it would be nice to have a cheat sheet to carry around to help.

10 hours ago, Hammer&tongs said:

by the way does anyone have a copy of the free target ID cards for a minelab 800. I am still not sure on the target ID numbers and it would be nice to have a cheat sheet to carry around to help.

Hey Hammer&tongs,

You can find a PDF file of the ID cards in the first message in the thread here:

Free ID Cards for the Nox 800

The file name is idcardfinal.pdf