OK, I'm coming from using an X-Terra 705 to a Nox.  I have hunted in all metal for many years now with  the 705 and have become accustom to all the mixed signals.  Is this feasible with the Nox, lets say in Park 1?  I know there are lots of options to opt out of all metal when needed but will all metal hunting be the best use starting out with this machine?  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

I've never used the Xterra, but the AM horseshoe button on the Equinox isn't a true all metal model in the traditional sense whereas it's a wide open, unfiltered all metals mode.  It basically leverages whatever search mode your utilizing and removes all the pre-set  notching so it's using zero discrimination.

I think it's a very handy feature to be honest, great to quick check a target, or for relic hunters flip it on to quickly locate the iron zones and then go into your search mode of choice.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I have hunted in all metal for many years now with  the 705 and have become accustom to all the mixed signals.  Is this feasible with the Nox, lets say in Park 1?

When you say all Metal I assume you mean hunting strictly by tones, no items rejected. This is very possible with Equinox, and mostly boils down to whether you prefer 5 tones or 50 tones.

1769B4BD-1EFB-4A45-B2CA-6F2AB29C2126.jpeg

The best tone setup for getting really customized is Equinox 800 five tone mode. You can make each of five segments any size you like, and you can assign each segment it’s own tone and volume.

Five tone mode can also be manipulated to create four tone and three tone schemes. Pages 46 - 50 of the Equinox Instruction Manual

A2C24AEC-00E9-46B2-BB2A-961DE38A5D6A.jpeg

50 tones is more of a factory preset mode but does offer a little more adjustability than most other models “full tone” settings.

From the Minelab Equinox Full Instruction Manual, page 48 (click to enlarge)...

minelab-equinox-50-tone-audio-explained.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks canslawhero, Cal-Cobra, Steve for the individual information.  I probably will learn the machine first as set up and then move into five tones with no rejection as I am accustom to.  So many ways to hunt with this machine.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2

I used the Horseshoe button quite a bit yesterday while I got in a solid 8 hours of detecting on my EQ800 (see my post and results here:

For part of the hunt we were trying to locate an old homestead site, and I employed the Horseshoe listening for iron to locate the homestead, which we never found, it was about as quite as could be on that mountain top/side.  I also used it to check some iffy signals, ones that would start to give you a high conductor whisper like signal (the kind that gets me exciting thinking there might be deep silver) but each time when I employed the Horseshoe check, I could tell that I was simply getting the tip of a nail or something similar that was falsing.  Very handy feature IMO.   

Still tons to learn, I need to start experimenting with the speed and iron bias settings.  To be honest, I have so much fun just getting out and detecting, that I frequently fail to start testing all of the advanced features as it just seems to work fine with the preset settings :wink:     I guess that's my next step, to start learning how and when to employ iron bias and change up the speed settings.

HH,
Brian