Wm 08 Wireless Audio Module Dropping Out

sdbirder

I've been having problems with the audio breaking up and dropping out on my WM 08 wireless
audio module. At first I thought it was my earbuds, made for Android phones which have an extra connection on the 1/8" plug. I've also tried Sennheiser sports earphones and Bose noise cancelling travel headphones both with standard 1/8" plugs. All have the same issue.

I keep the module in the back of my CamelBak and think the combination of the water inside and my body is enough to shield the signal. It was unusable at the beach yesterday until I put the module in my front pocket, but it still was dropping out pretty regularly. 

Another theory, cellular tower interference. There was a portable cellular tower erected at the beach yesterday for Spring Break. I also have a tower near my house. Both are transmitting on 2147.5 Mhz according to my Network Cell Info app. I've tried finding the FCC info for the frequencies on the WM 08 but haven't had any luck.

Anyone else having issues with the WM 08 wireless audio module?

My ML 80 Bluetooth wireless headphones work great, but I wish I could use the WM 08 so I can wear a sun hat.

sdbirder, I don't have much time on my Equinox 600 which I use the wm08 and Amazon basics 32 ohm headphones, because I'm alternating use with my 800 and Bluetooth aptX, but I've noticed some momentary drop offs. But since they're only momentary I havnt explored what may be causing it. 

I haven't experienced this problem with the WM08 and have a few hours of run time on it.  But if you need earbuds or backphones to accommodate your headgear, consider purchasing some BT APTX Ear buds(~$20 -30) or try regular BT buds if you have them to see if the lag is tolerable.  I have not found affordable APTX LL Ear buds.  I know you shouldn't have to spend extra $ since the WM08 should work but if external interference where you detect is the issue, you may not have a choice and since BT is working for you...

Being an amateur radio operator I did a little more digging, opening up the unit (yes, I know). The WM 08 antenna is located in the front, underneath where it says: "WM 08". It can be seen while illuminating the board with a flashlight. Behind the antenna is a fairly large, flat Li-ion battery which would act as a shield in the direction of the clip, especially in 2.4GHZ ISM band. Sure enough I had the unit facing outwards in my CamelBak pocket, radiating away from my detector.

Solution, I made a paracord necklace so it'll be at my front, closer to the detector and facing the right direction. Trying it around the house worked good. I heard a couple short dropouts, but I'm in close proximity to a high power cell site and it was 99% overall.

Here's some photos. Antenna is underneath the white area on the circuit board.

IMG_20180326_141813.thumb.jpg.8c9f0c8397843311029cd53f95e8e668.jpgIMG_20180326_142012.thumb.jpg.10f31f736d8cf84f55d7dc1096416056.jpgIMG_20180326_171007.thumb.jpg.11a660a7ab640a5f89980a447272cdf9.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdbirder said:

Being an amateur radio operator I did a little more digging, opening up the unit (yes, I know). The WM 08 antenna is located in the front, underneath where it says: "WM 08". It can be seen while illuminating the board with a flashlight. Behind the antenna is a fairly large, flat Li-ion battery which would act as a shield in the direction of the clip, especially in 2.4GHZ ISM band. Sure enough I had the unit facing outwards in my CamelBak pocket, radiating away from my detector.

In your opinion is this signal weakness a result of the 2.4GHZ band or the transmitting power or the head unit?  With a Deus I wear the module in a pouch on the back of my molle belt with my body, belts and metal buckles in the way without drop outs.

Do you see another solution other than wearing it on the front within two feet of the transmitter?

54 minutes ago, parkgt said:

In your opinion is this signal weakness a result of the 2.4GHZ band or the transmitting power or the head unit?  With a Deus I wear the module in a pouch on the back of my molle belt with my body, belts and bmetal buckles in the way without drop outs.

Do you see another solution other than wearing it on the front within two feet of the transmitter?

A combination of both. They need to keep the power low for battery life/regulatory reasons and 2.4GHZ isn't the best penetrator. Penetration gets worse as you go higher in frequency. The newer 5GHZ Wi-Fi band (802.11ac) can only penetrate a couple walls and it slows significantly.

In my case I'm getting saturated with 100W+ of Verizon's LTE Band 4 (2.147GHZ) at 150 feet away. It makes for great call quality, but not so good for detectors. The one at the beach Sunday was Verizon too. Life in the big city...

Never had any problems with my Deus. I think they mesh the headphones and controller together so it's not really an issue to keep one on your backside.

I use the WM08 with a pair of water resistant over the ear headphones in the event of inclement weather because the BT headphones supplied with the Equinox do not like moisture.  However, I would have preferred to use my APTX earbuds that are water resistant except the weather was cold, so I went with the WM08 solution and full sized cans.  Kind of for the opposite reason than why you opted for the WM08.  LOL.  I like the additional headphone options the WM08 opens up, but, coming from Deus also, prefer the complete wireless audio solution when possible.  The WM08 "pendant" looks like a viable and great "ready now" solution, however, realizing that the cell towers may be causing significant interference in your actual detecting environs (not clear if you tested it outside or just inside your house) and not just the orientation and relative shielding of the receiver, the BT APT X  earbuds might also be worth a shot down the road if you can't shake the dropouts - BT is apparently not subject to the interference issue you are having, BT earbuds solve the sun hat issue (reason you were turning to the WM08?) and, in the end, result in less claptrap to have to deal with out in the field.  Drawbacks are additional cost and possible lag (though BT APTX should be ok and I did some additional research since my previous post and found the two affordable earbud solutions that claim BT APTX LL compatibility.  Again just a suggestion if, in the end, WM08 is still acting up and for anyone else out there looking for BT APTX LL earbuds:

https://www.amazon.com/X-Buds-Metal-Bluetooth-Headphones-Sweatproof/dp/B01MRSUQAK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522112847&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=aptx+low+latency+bluetooth+earbuds&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-EC-Technology-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B072KVY42X/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522112847&sr=1-4&keywords=aptx+low+latency+bluetooth+earbuds

If you want to use your favorite buds, using an aptX-LL receiver may also be an option..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073DZMWD1/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1522168267&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=avantree

• Like 2