Wm 08 Wireless Audio Module Dropping Out

sdbirder

This is what I ended up getting. A lot of the aptX low latency earbuds and receivers only had 6 hours battery life. 6 hours is about the maximum I'd be out detecting, but after the battery gets older I'm sure it would be less than that. This one does 10 hours and had some really good reviews. It's about the size of a Zippo lighter.

TROND BT-RX S on $20 Amazon

5abb18998c327_61TLu6Zb3L._SX466_.jpg.4fb4eb5b7ef4a801e78bb7a7de54cca0.jpg

• Like 4

Update. I tried out my new TROND BT-RX S Bluetooth receiver today. It worked well and synced up using aptX LL. It was even smaller than expected, about half the size of a Zippo lighter. My only complaint was difficulty adjusting to a comfortable volume with two volume controls, most of the time it was too loud.

After 3 hours on the beach I switched to the WM 08 with my new frontside paracord necklace and it worked out great!!! With only one volume control on the EQX it was easy to set a comfortable volume. No dropouts!

IMG_20180326_171007.jpg.fbd96022893ed3b6e9e8e5ecfc814f4e.thumb.jpg.4029e7b4b7a73cc381def71951d3b192.jpg

I kinda feel like a dummy as the EQX manual directly addressed my original problem. I guess that's the problem with making a really user friendly device, some people just don't RTFM (read the frickin' manual)...

"Attach the WM 08 to the same side of your body as the detector to ensure the most reliable wireless signal."

wm08.jpg.8f8b3948fa9179dd5a5ca5521ca58c0c.jpg

I'll probably stick with the WM 08 now, with better battery life and lower latency. I'm sure I'll find a good home for the TROND around my shack.

I have used the wireless receiver in my left front t-shirt pocket with nothing else over it. I have drops when I swing to the right side. No, before you wonder, I am not 500 lbs. I would love to put in my right pocket, but there is not a pocket on my right side. Seems to me that it would be good if the detector would work on both side of my body with the wireless. I would clip it on my belt, but the point of the device is to minimize wires tangling other things. I will have to experiment more.

Mine works up to 8 ft away without any blanking.   I would recommend seeing if someone nearby has one or contact minelab.  I worked on cellular base stations for 7 years and know that they dont produce enough power to cause a problem at 100m plus.   Your phone is more likely to be a culprit and mine can cohabitate my hoody pocket without much issue.  Simplest explanation would be issue with unit in 800 or wm.  Try your stock wireless headphones to see if there is am issue with the 800 as i imagine the same rx/tx portion for the wm and wireless headphones should be the same in the 800.

I havnt had any drop outs during use. After a couple of snags with the module in my shirt pocket I found a better way. I zip tied the wire leaving about 8" slack and I cut a slit just above the visor of my hat and off center to my right. ( I stitched the slits edges so it won't fray. ) 

Now the wire is unable to get in my way:smile:

• 1 month later...

On 4/1/2018 at 7:29 PM, sdbirder said:

Update. I tried out my new TROND BT-RX S Bluetooth receiver today. It worked well and synced up using aptX LL. It was even smaller than expected, about half the size of a Zippo lighter. My only complaint was difficulty adjusting to a comfortable volume with two volume controls, most of the time it was too loud.

After 3 hours on the beach I switched to the WM 08 with my new frontside paracord necklace and it worked out great!!! With only one volume control on the EQX it was easy to set a comfortable volume. No dropouts!

I kinda feel like a dummy as the EQX manual directly addressed my original problem. I guess that's the problem with making a really user friendly device, some people just don't RTFM (read the frickin' manual)...

"Attach the WM 08 to the same side of your body as the detector to ensure the most reliable wireless signal."

I'll probably stick with the WM 08 now, with better battery life and lower latency. I'm sure I'll find a good home for the TROND around my shack.

I wonder if your trond  bt unit was faulty ? I am using the same setup with some standard earbuds , as the wm08 unit with earbuds didn't give me quite enough volume .Anyway  with the equinox set at full volume I had no trouble altering the volume on the trond unit from very loud to nothing...  very impressed