Is falsing still a problem on the Gold Monster? Reason I ask I'm currently in the market for a detector Im looking at a GB2 mainly but I think I might get a Monster later down the road to add to the assortment of gold detectors. I have read many posts on various pages and forums saying that the coil falses a lot when brushed against something which could be a problem for me. I currently hunt in really thick sage brush an I really dont want the detector going off all the time in the brush that is one reason I plan on picking up the GB2 first because I heard its stays really stable and you can put the coil to the dirt. Has the Monster been updated  since its release? do they plan on updating anything on the Monster like headphone jacks or keeping the sensitivity under control to reduce falsing?

Thanks for the reply Kiwi. Yea I guess its sensitivity could be an operator problem in these cases I hear about. It's always nice to be able to run the detector as sensitive as possible if the ground will allow it luckily the mineralization isn't too bad where I prospect here in Wyoming either but the dense sagebrush is definitely a problem for swinging a detector for me. Yea I have heard the headphones are really uncomfortable quite a few times it seems to be a very common problem. Its a shame that the detector didnt come with a better set.  Yea the GB2 is probably going to be my best bet for the main area I prospect. But who knows maybe I can run into someone with a Monster out detecting who will let me test it out and see how it handles an if it is capable of working through the brush effectively or not.

4 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Simon had something happen to his GM 1000 that he hasn't mentioned.

Actually he posted about it here.

4 hours ago, kiwijw said:

phrunt (Simon) his GM 1000 coils dont false as badly as mine. We still haven't swapped coils over to see how they respond. I don't know if maybe my detector runs hotter than his from factory, or if my coils might be a bit faulty.

So basically what you are saying John is your Gold Monster may have a bad coil or some other problem that could be solved, but rather than dig into that you want to continue to advise people on this issue, as if what you are experiencing is normal for all Gold Monster owners. What if you have a coil issue, and therefore everything you are saying about this problem is misinformation based a particular unit? Don’t you think you have a responsibility to make sure you have a properly operating detector before advising everyone that the problems you are experiencing are the norm?

There have been no updates to the Gold Monster that I am aware of. Most people reporting this problem early on got coils or units replaced under warranty. That said, I am very interested in hearing if falsing is an issue for a lot of people out there or not. The Gold Monster has been selling very well, with many now in the field. If this problem was widespread I would expect we would be hearing more about it.

Anyway, given the uncertainty it does make a Gold Bug 2 appear to be a safer bet. Yet many former Gold Bug 2 owners are now swinging a Gold Monster, so what to make of that? Hopefully more people will chime in on the thread so we get a better picture of the current situation in the field.

Having little time on my GM (12-15hrs?) and no real experience hunting nuggets but 26yrs detecting old coins all I can ad is my GM also bump falses.  I just deal with it and haven't had any problem being able to work around it?  When it bump falses I also feel a bump at same time so it's real easy to determine from a false...imo?  I did notice with the 5" under water that just moving the coil under water back and forth would make it false.......   If I thought there was a real problem I would send it back in but so far, with my limited experience, I just deal with it and understand it's a very sensitive machine and try to work on my coil control....????

Most detectors false if you bump a rock hard enough so the question here is a matter of degree.

From https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/understanding-the-sensitivity-control-on-the-gold-monster-1000 on 5/12/2017:

”To manually set Sensitivity, we suggest backing all the way off to Manual 1, then gradually increase the Sensitivity whilst swinging the coil over ground, clear of metal targets, until you hear noise being detected. Then back off the Sensitivity slightly to select the highest possible level before too much noise makes the detector unstable and unusable.

The Gold Monster was designed to be silent search. In all cases where noise is encountered for any reason, including coil falsing, the solution is to reduce sensitivity until the noise goes away or is manageable.

The problem is not a problem for anyone using the detector the way it was intended as outlined in the article above direct from Minelab. Assuming there is no hardware issue, the problem only occurs if the instructions above are ignored.

The bottom line in my opinion is the 45 kHz Gold Monster running DD coils is not a 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 running concentric coils and trying to get it to be a Gold Bug 2 instead of using it per instructions as intended is the root cause of this “problem”. The issue is further complicated by some units having unaddressed hardware issues.

16 hours ago, nolan_dusty said:

Is falsing still a problem on the Gold Monster? Reason I ask I'm currently in the market for a detector Im looking at a GB2 mainly but I think I might get a Monster later down the road to add to the assortment of gold detectors. I have read many posts on various pages and forums saying that the coil falses a lot when brushed against something which could be a problem for me. I currently hunt in really thick sage brush an I really dont want the detector going off all the time in the brush that is one reason I plan on picking up the GB2 first because I heard its stays really stable and you can put the coil to the dirt. Has the Monster been updated  since its release? do they plan on updating anything on the Monster like headphone jacks or keeping the sensitivity under control to reduce falsing?

Hi Dusty

It depends if your talking about User Error or an actual issue with the detector itself?  which I’m guessing your talking about.

Nothing in life is perfect and sometimes things are not as they sound be, and Minelab haven’t had a recall on the machine for this issue, so it obviously not an issue that the majority or a lot of user’s have had.

I unfortunately did have one that had this problem and it was sent back they throughly checked it out and tested it and confirmed there was a problem so they sent me another one, and I have recommended them to others as they are a great detector on tiny gold and obviously bigger stuff.

As mentioned above if you run it’s sensitivity to high as any high frequency VLF machine it’ll false, but if ran correctly for the conditions it’ll be fine and you’ll do well with it. Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers

• Like 2

Well thanks guys for the insight on the detector I appreciate all the replies maybe I'll grab one up in the future and try it in some new areas I do like the turn on and go feature. It that really makes detecting a lot easier than always tuning the manual ground balance on a detector but I tend to run even my GMT in manual and have luck with it. I will probably use the GB2 and the GM for cleaning up areas an use my GMT for areas that are more covered in overburden with the 10" coil on there for maybe larger deeper targets since it has always done well for me in that department maybe I can one day grab me up a nice PI later down the road  and go a little deeper in some areas. Hopefully everyone gets their problems sorted out with their detectors its never any fun to deal with faulty equipment which does happen from time to time. Sometimes it can be the users and sometimes the parts everything takes a little bit of learning but sounds like you guys have it figured out if your getting the gold. Thanks again!

Kiwi....  PLEASE keep posting on the GM!  ALL you guys have helped me with your info.  

Phrunt....  Only had my 5" in the water once and first thing that came to mind on falsing under water was the current on my coil wire as it's not tied down secure?  I don't think my GM is faulty in any way and like I said before, I just work around any bump falsing. In the short 12-15hrs I've used the machine I've dug plenty of lead and SMALL lead fragments along with shell casings, a 1906 V nickel, and modern aluminum so I know I'm on the right track and will find gold eventually. A little bump false here and there doesn't bother me.....

Keep the info and the finds coming if you will?????

Got out today for the first time this year for 3.5hrs.  Had a blast even tho no gold for me...YET!  If lead, and very small fragments of lead, shell casings, 1 pull tab, 1 nail were nuggets I'd be rich!!!!!!!!!!  NO problems what so ever with falsing except a few bump falses. Put it in auto and started swinging ground balancing once in awhile doing figure 8's or re-working a target. Still a little too much snow but found some spots I could play in and may return tomorrow?????  Got snowed on but just a spring squall.  I did find one target solid in the bedrock that I just couldn't dig out with my rock pick no matter how hard I chipped away?  That GM is an absolute pleasure to swing and as much lead (some really small frags too) as I dug I'm sure it's just a matter of time until I find some yellow...........

I'll surely secure that coil wire...thanks!!!

• 3 months later...

Finally got out with the new Gold Monster at Jack Wade Creek in AK for 3 days over the 4th.  Ran it mostly as ML states in the turn on and go default settings.  I was surprised with it's ease of use and accuracy.  Dug bullets, shell casings, scrap brass, misc. iron and steel junk,  2 penny's and a dime, but no gold.  Only ran the large coil and did notice what at times seems to be excessive falsing when bumping large rocks and even at times foliage.  The falsing is more of an issue when using headphones.  I could live with the falsing but it seems strange to me that ML would produce a detector that would have excessive falsing  issues at the default turn on and go setting.   Anyway, I plan on using it more and with the small coil before passing judgment on the falsing issue.  Also plan on tying the wire to the shaft as recommended by phrunt to see if that helps.  Really like the auto ground balance, hot rocks were not a problem.

Neal