Excalibur At The Beach

Great job both on the mods and the finds! I was hoping to get to Hawaii this winter but it just never happened.

The lead weights get a bit crazy at times - pulled quite a few pounds of them out myself over the years. You beat me for most lead found on any one trip though! 

Thanks Steve, not only do you deserve a vacation but I really like your post on surf detecting. They give me a lot of ideas on what to do to increase my success at the beach, plus they are fun to read.

Yes, the lead was a bit much this trip. But the small 1/2 oz. weights sound really close to the large 14 kt. gold rings so I'm ok with digging them. Also, I would have thought the area I picked would have been heavily detected but with the lead and jewelry I found it wasn't as bad as I thought.

The surf was really strong this year and I know I left two gold rings wedged in the cracks as the surf was too much for me to deal with. Next year I plan to bring a pry bar. I have some notes on the location of those and a few unknown potentials.

I did have three ladies approach me to look for lost items, one lost her car keys but the other two lost their diamond wedding rings, the pictures of the rings where impressive. I did look a bit but the surf was too much for me and the search area they gave me was large. Might have to poke around those areas next trip.

I did get a Fisher F-Pulse pin pointer to take this trip. My vision isn't the best and I thought that would speed up my recovery on the small stuff. those pull tabs are a pain for me to recover in the surf.

I didn't have much time to test it out (figured I'd do that in Hawaii) and of course I got a lemon. Locked up on me every time I tried to use it. Had to pull the batteries every time to reset it. Oh the great joy of getting a fist run product!

But on the flip side I learned you can get prescription goggles, next year I will be sporting a pair.

We'll see how I do on finding change this year, if I get enough I might be sporting a Equinox next year!

• Like 1

That s a lot of lead well done you can always flog them to fisherman or at the scrapyard:) 

RR

On 3/28/2018 at 1:43 PM, Rivers rat said:

That s a lot of lead well done you can always flog them to fisherman or at the scrapyard:) 

RR

It is funny. Seems a bit silly to include that into my treasure  hall, and there was a time I would have discarded them as garbage, but I actually earn a few hundred extra dollars a year scrapping or selling on Craigslist.

Last year I sold about twice that amount on CL for a 100.00 and that has me thinking about the value of the minor stuff a bit more.

100.00 here 100.00 there and soon I have Enough for a new detector.

It would be interesting to know if others save and sell odd finds or interesting ways to make extra profit from the hobby.

HH SM

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yup... send me all the lead weights. Saltwater fishing is one of my passions, and lead gets expensive when you are losing them all the time to the ocean!
I'm perfectly happy when hunting beaches to find lead along with jewelry and coins!

• Like 1