Dealing With Surface Targets?

My 800 arrives tomorrow. 

Question. My etrac has a volume gain setting that controls audio modulation and has a 'boost' point near max beyond which all shallow and deep signals basically sound alike. Does adjusting the volume or tone volume on the equinox have any impact on perceived modulation? Does the sensitivity setting?

Many detectorists set volume to max on the machine and control volume at the headphones is why I ask.

if I am reading reports correctly, there is little to no modulation in discriminate mode until approximately 6" depth on coin sized objects.

Rich

25 minutes ago, Rich (Utah) said:

My 800 arrives tomorrow. 

Question. My etrac has a volume gain setting that controls audio modulation and has a 'boost' point near max beyond which all shallow and deep signals basically sound alike. Does adjusting the volume or tone volume on the equinox have any impact on perceived modulation? Does the sensitivity setting?

Many detectorists set volume to max on the machine and control volume at the headphones is why I ask.

if I am reading reports correctly, there is little to no modulation in discriminate mode until approximately 6" depth on coin sized objects.

Rich

I haven’t done a lot of testing to see how much modulation can be improved.. If it gets better with either volume or sensitivity, it’s not by much.  I would say the sensitivity has more affect on the modulation then the Volume..

It does get easier each time out as you get more familiar with the Equinox.  There is some modulation but I rely on pinpoint for for depth gauge more so on the Nox then I did on the E-Trac..  Very deep coins definitely have a nice, distant sound..  It’s just that first 4 or 5 inches were it’s harder to judge.. Surface is actually very easy.. Double beeps and screaming pinpoint..  Great for passing on the surface zincs if that’s your thing..

Bryan

Oddly I wasn't getting the double beeps on most of the surface cans.   Need to experiment more with the pinpointing, I do like the pinpointing on the Equinox although I am now experiencing the low volume bug others reported.   I guess I always was and just didn't realize it.   

Although given Minelabs track record for releasing firmware updates, I won't be holding my breath for one, but it would be fantastic if Minelab would remedy some of the lingering issues that weren't resolved during field testing.