Canadian VDI Numbers

Looking at the chart it appears that modern Canadian coins would be discriminated out like a nail or screw, what would be the best setting for these? Any Canadian Equinox hunters out there? I’m a retired complete newbie with a 600 looking for any tips to help me along. Also plan to do some snorkeling in lakes and ocean. Thanks

simply not the right machine if you want to dig Cdn clad. I've had mine for a while now and have only found a few of the earlier 'nickel' based clad coins, some by accident, ie co-located with a copper penny.

if you really want to try to ID them then hit the horseshoe button and experiment with where they show up in the ferrous T1 area. I believe the nickel coins bounce around 16-17 or there-a-bout....

sorry I can't help more but I use a dedicated machine for clad....cheers

1 hour ago, canslawhero said:

simply not the right machine if you want to dig Cdn clad. I've had mine for a while now and have only found a few of the earlier 'nickel' based clad coins, some by accident, ie co-located with a copper penny.

if you really want to try to ID them then hit the horseshoe button and experiment with where they show up in the ferrous T1 area. I believe the nickel coins bounce around 16-17 or there-a-bout....

sorry I can't help more but I use a dedicated machine for clad....cheers

Thanks for the tip. A bit disappointing to have this cutting edge machine with all the different modes and not be able to utilize them. Hopefully beachmode will be fun and not too frustrating. Now for waterproof headphones.

it is a cutting edge machine for non-ferrous items.....modern Canadian clad is steel core, ferrous....

and the older 'nickel' core coinage has a ferrous component, hence it's being magnetic...bouncy readings...

now the deeper, older silver/copper coinage is where it will shine, ask me how I know, lol

• Like 1

Hi Voyager32,

I have tested in my backyard in Park 2 and All Metal. The results were pretty well identical in both modes. Coins were buried in 5 to 6 inch plugs. Not entirely the VDI's you would get in an actual dig, of course, but it's likely better than an air test. I am in the Kelowna area of British Columbia. My backyard soil is similar to what I would get in any local parks or schools. Therefore low mineralization. And as you know Canadian coins vary in composition with vintage. I suggest you check on the "Canadian Mint" website for composition vs year of mintage. Here are a few VDI's:

Penny:1942-1979: 25; 2000-present: -4

Nickel:1955-1981: 12,14; 1982-2000: 12; 2001-present: 7,11

Dime:1920-1967: 27, 28; 1968-1999: 3; 2000-present: 2,3

Quarter: 1920-1967: 30; 1968-1999: 8; 2000-present: 2

Half Dollar: 1920-1967: 35; 1968-1999: 8

Loonie: 1987-2012: 8; 2013-present: 2

Toonie: 1996-2012: 13: 2013-present: 6

As you can see in my soil, only the "steel" penny (a 2007 penny) is in the Iron zone. Your soil may give you different results. Hope this helps you to get started.

Tyran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tyran

Thank you so much! This is just what I was looking for, I’ve done some testing in my backyard with newer coins but the numbers seem all over, but I may be doing something wrong to cause it, noise cancel and auto ground balance then have a go. I’m a 68year old newbie in the sport lol, should be a lot of fun. Thanks again.

Tyran, big thanks, I was too lazy to do what you did...

I'm going to incorporate this info into my park 1 settings and give it a shot today, cheers

heck, enough loonies and toonies and it'll pay for itself, lol

• 2 weeks later...

In the low mineralization of the Kelowna, British Columbia Canada school and park grounds, the modern Canadian coins do not fall in the "Ferrous Zone" as stated in the Manual, but fall in the "Very Low and Low Zones". However, this could change in the rest of the Okanagan Valley as volcanic rocks abound. The older coins with silver and copper composition do fall in the High to Very High Zones, just like the US Coins, other than nickels, of course.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Well, I think I did pretty good on Canadian modern coins using my equinox 800 this year in 2021, l found $211 dollars in small change.  And I also lots of old coins on a different setting. For Canadian clad coins,  I set the machine at 40 kHz , all metal and sensitivity no more than 12 on 5 tones, the vdi get higher numbers. And usually do some test on Canadian clad coins before to start the search just to remember the vdi.

• Like 3