Equinox Ground Balance

If you read between the lines on the various search modes, Minelab seems to imply that the ground balancing is done automagically, regardless of whether you do a ground grab or not.

For example:

Park 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighting of the multi-frequency signal, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio.
Hence Park 1 is most suited for general detecting and coin hunting.

Park 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multi-frequency signal while ground balancing for soil.

Field 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighted multi-frequency signal, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting and coin hunting.

Field 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multifrequency signal while ground balancing for soil.

Beach 1 Multi-IQ processes a low frequency weighted multi-frequency signal, and uses special algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt.

Beach 2 MultiIQ processes a very low weighted multi-frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt.

Not to be confused with auto tracking, but it appears that the Equinox is doing some ground balancing specific to each search mode irregardless of whether you do a ground grab (auto ground balance in EQ speak) or not. 

Not that I would skip doing a ground grab, but I find it interesting that Minelab seems to be implying they process the ground balancing differently for each search mode, even if you don't do it.

Steve do you see this as the case? 

• Like 5

It has a very forgiving ground balance point and at the same time a very correct ID. Compared to the single frequency VLFs that we are use to that is sort of a contradiction.

The CTX when ground balanced is spot on, deep. And slightly annoying when trying to do undulating terrain. It really likes everything just wright.

The Nox 800 with a ground grab feels like you are hitting it in the ball-park. And what those little Minelab electronic fairies are doing on the inside is super fast tuning it to the actual conditions. Funny thing is they don’t mistake faint signals for ground. Truly amazing!

Have had a few targets not ID-ing, but... it hit them with the wright tone. Something to think about.

• Like 5

Guest Tnsharpshooter
55 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

If you read between the lines on the various search modes, Minelab seems to imply that the ground balancing is done automagically, regardless of whether you do a ground grab or not.

For example:

Park 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighting of the multi-frequency signal, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio.
Hence Park 1 is most suited for general detecting and coin hunting.

Park 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multi-frequency signal while ground balancing for soil.

Field 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighted multi-frequency signal, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting and coin hunting.

Field 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multifrequency signal while ground balancing for soil.

Beach 1 Multi-IQ processes a low frequency weighted multi-frequency signal, and uses special algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt.

Beach 2 MultiIQ processes a very low weighted multi-frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt.

Not to be confused with auto tracking, but it appears that the Equinox is doing some ground balancing specific to each search mode irregardless of whether you do a ground grab (auto ground balance in EQ speak) or not. 

Not that I would skip doing a ground grab, but I find it interesting that Minelab seems to be implying they process the ground balancing differently for each search mode, even if you don't do it.

Steve do you see this as the case? 

Try the following, this may give you better idea of what's happening.

Do auto GB over clean ground using multi freq- note number.

Then over the same spot of ground do GB with each single freq- note GB number in window.

You can do this for each detect mode if you like.

But .i think if you will just compare park 1 and 2 and gold 1 and 2 that'll do,

The GB numbers are quite different, TN...the "2" modes balancing with a higher number in my dirt, than the "1" modes.  I had noticed this before, but didn't attribute anything significant to it, other than the balance is simply "different" at different frequencies/frequency combinations.  So?

Cal Cobra -- I've been thinking/pondering the very same things you are.  Look at Explorers; you simply do NOT "ground balance" them.  The "ground" is "handled" by the multi-frequency somehow -- my guess is using data from the different frequencies for "comparisons/differencing" in the algorithms.  Then along comes the CTX -- which is the same as the Explorers, EXCEPT, the manual tells us, in EXTREME ground, we "can" ground balance, "if we wish to."  But otherwise, "don't worry about it."  So now, along comes the Equinox, which seems to make the ability to ground balance a bit more "prominent,' (i.e. each mode has a ground balance setting), but curiously the balance number is set to default at "zero."  HMM.  And this, taken with the verbiage you pointed out above, which I've been pondering, all seems to suggest to me that the Equinox may not be all that much different than the CTX -- i.e. ground balance isn't all that important, except in more extreme ground.  ???  I don't know, but I sure would like an engineering answer to this.  A Minelab "treasure talk" blog on this from someone like Mark Lawrie would be AWESOME!

Steve

• Like 7

Steve also consider that their quick start guide, and the Quick Start procedure on page 11 of the manual gives these four steps:

1) Turn On

2) Select a Detect Mode

3) Noise Cancel

4) Begin Detecting!

Thats Minelabs words, and exactly what I did my first couple of hunts, and the Equinox performed perfectly.  TID was solid, machine was quite, plenty of power as it detected deep targets.  So something is going on under the hood that almost makes me wonder if it's at all necessary to GB at all (not that I mind, mind you, it's very simple and I'm used to doing it on my other detectors).  Just something that struck my curiosity more than anything, especially as you noted their previous Multi frequency machines did it on the fly.  

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter
1 hour ago, steveg said:

The GB numbers are quite different, TN...the "2" modes balancing with a higher number in my dirt, than the "1" modes.  I had noticed this before, but didn't attribute anything significant to it, other than the balance is simply "different" at different frequencies/frequency combinations.  So?

Cal Cobra -- I've been thinking/pondering the very same things you are.  Look at Explorers; you simply do NOT "ground balance" them.  The "ground" is "handled" by the multi-frequency somehow -- my guess is using data from the different frequencies for "comparisons/differencing" in the algorithms.  Then along comes the CTX -- which is the same as the Explorers, EXCEPT, the manual tells us, in EXTREME ground, we "can" ground balance, "if we wish to."  But otherwise, "don't worry about it."  So now, along comes the Equinox, which seems to make the ability to ground balance a bit more "prominent,' (i.e. each mode has a ground balance setting), but curiously the balance number is set to default at "zero."  HMM.  And this, taken with the verbiage you pointed out above, which I've been pondering, all seems to suggest to me that the Equinox may not be all that much different than the CTX -- i.e. ground balance isn't all that important, except in more extreme ground.  ???  I don't know, but I sure would like an engineering answer to this.  A Minelab "treasure talk" blog on this from someone like Mark Lawrie would be AWESOME!

Steve

I know they are different.

But what single freq GB number lines up closer to multi freq GB,,that was what I was referring to.

Each detect mode view (differently) on each's merit.. Not compared necessarily.

But do notice the park 2 and field 2 act more similar.

And park 1 and field 1 act more similar.

So is there a connection with weighted freq and auto GB  number over the same ground, assuming ground not inert?

Just something to ponder.

I tried the turn on and detect the first few times out and it was a chattering messing. I detect in deep south gumbo clay and once I performed a GB it was very quiet, almost thought it was not working. My finds got much better and deeper after that. I think it is very dependent on soil etc...

Guest Tnsharpshooter
3 minutes ago, dirtyntx said:

I tried the turn on and detect the first few times out and it was a chattering messing. I detect in deep south gumbo clay and once I performed a GB it was very quiet, almost thought it was not working. My finds got much better and deeper after that. I think it is very dependent on soil etc...

You'll hear a flutter usually when  sweeping if out of balance.

Actually I just got back  from fresh water beach.  Park 2 actual GB reading doing auto GB  =0.

But I inadvertently started of with 46 GB number in window, sure enough I heard that fluttering when sweeping.  Performed Auto GB, back to nice and quiet.  And remember this is deemed pretty much inert sand.  Still made a difference though.

The quick start guide also says in the inset note to GB if you are experiencing excessive ground noise.

I totally agree that despite the fact that each mode grabs a widely different number on the same patch of ground, possibly indicative of different GB algorithms, I also noticed that the ground grab appears to not be a critical component of detector performance, per se, (compared to other detectors I've used) as it really just incrementally improves signal to noise ratio (something Steve H has been emphasuzing a lot lately btw for this and other adjustments).  I also agree that another way to look at it is that Equinox is indeed more forgiving of a less than exact GB.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

The quick start guide also says in the inset note to GB if you are experiencing excessive ground noise.

I totally agree that despite the fact that each mode grabs a widely different number on the same patch of ground, possibly indicative of different GB algorithms, I also noticed that the ground grab appears to not be a critical component of detector performance, per se, (compared to other detectors I've used) as it really just incrementally improves signal to noise ratio (something Steve H has been emphasuzing a lot lately btw for this and other adjustments).  I also agree that another way to look at it is that Equinox is indeed more forgiving of a less than exact GB.

Yes even as it was chirping and chipping, signals from actual targets still came through clearly. I just have a lot less fun if my ears are getting bombarded all the time :-)