Equinox Ground Balance

On 3/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, cladzilla said:

Yes even as it was chirping and chipping, signals from actual targets still came through clearly. I just have a lot less fun if my ears are getting bombarded all the time :-)

Sounds like a normal hunt on my F75 :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was never ever going to look at how they work as I knew it would mess with my head . Thanks Steve now I need to know more . Or if I leave it a couple of days the urge might go and life will be as I knew it ??

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I have made mention several times that every search profile has its own ground balance and so it is critical in bad ground to ground balance each search profile separately. Again, in milder ground just leave it be. How to know when to ground balance? In any mode, hit the horseshoe button and detect over metal free ground. If you get lots of puttering in the -9 and -8 and possibly -7 area that is the ground signal as is shown in the phase chart above. This is another reason why running full tones (no items rejected) can be beneficial as you do hear the ground signal. You might eliminate that signal by dropping the sensitivity a notch or two. But if it is persistent it does indicate you probably should be ground balancing the detector. Even when you notch out this region the ground signal is still there and so trying to get that negative range to settle down is the best bet for most people to help eliminate ground masking effects. For shallower targets you might also ground balance, then jack the sensitivity up and block out the negative numbers. This will make shallow targets like perhaps small gold nuggets pop but does risk deeper items going missed due to ground masking.

Absolutely, positivity 100% true Steve.  Amazing how you put technical data in layman terms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

For shallower targets you might also ground balance, then jack the sensitivity up and block out the negative numbers. This will make shallow targets like perhaps small gold nuggets pop but does risk deeper items going missed due to ground masking.

Cool tip, Steve, thanks!

• Like 1