Best Method For Cleaning Unrecognizable Coins

Bhogg

Hi All

I’m in an area that’s got some pretty sandy ground and some of the coins especially the copper coins are pretty much unrecognisable and even the slivers are very badly stained with a blackish look to them.

So I’m just wondering what seems to work the best to bring them back to life so they resemble what they should look like?, I don’t expect them to look fantastic due to how bad there condition is in now but it’d be great to at least be able to recognise what they are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I use plain water to clean coins. A 10x Nikon loupe for identification if coins are in really worn condition.

• Like 1

We find lots of beach clad and stick it in a tumbler with beach sand.  Small tumbler came from Harbor Freight.  This makes it ready for Coinstar/Amazon certificate at 100%.  You can add some cleaner and they will brighten.

If you had a little more valuable coin you could use a bit of baking soda.  We use that on silver and of course you can clean a ring with aluminum foil, vinegar and baking soda.

Mitchel

• Like 3

And copper cleans up with a little salt and white vinegar.  Use a toothpick to remove any loose dirt/crud first.  Basically, you want to leave any "collectable" coins as is.  You also might try posting in the coin shooting and jewelry forum for general coin cleaning advice from those who don't have a reason to visit this forum because they don't have or plan to get an Equinox (I know, gasp! Lol)

• Like 1

Chase,

You are right about the salt. (I forgot to mention it above.)  Use plain salt without iodine and you can get a chemical reaction which will reverse the tarnish on silver.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-and-polish-silver-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-216832

• Like 3

If, If, IF your silver coin has NO numismatic value, i.e. just the base metal value, and you want to clean it, make a paste of baking soda and water, coat the coin with the paste, and then rub it between your fingers.   Then rinse; you may have to do it again a time or two, but this takes the tarnish off the coins, most of the time.

Do NOT do this on any coin that has numismatic value, or the "micro-scratches" will ruin the value (PCGS will grade it "cleaned.")

Steve

• Like 4

There are several ways to restore coins since there are many different alloys they are made of.  Join this groups: https://www.facebook.com/groups/356723144661356/

Post a picture of the coin and people will give you ways to restore that particular coin.

• Like 1