Aside from the fact you might find gold jewelry in the nickel range, why do you hunt for nickels? I also am a detector nut myself and do understand the concept of detecting for anything just for the fun of it.

When I do coin hunt however the fact is most older nickels I find are in such poor condition that it’s doubtful they are even worth face value. Yet most silver coins I find look as new as the day they were dropped. Many silver coins found will grade out decently, but that is very rare for old nickels. This means the chance of finding high value silver coins is vastly better than the chance of finding high value nickels. Or so I believe. Newer nickels are in better condition, but key date Jefferson’s are not exactly worth a fortune, and they are few and far between.

Then there is the fact that going after nickels usually involves more trash per coin, at least in my experience. If I focus on silver dimes and higher there is very little trash that ends up in my pouch.

Anyway, is anyone digging nickels for any real reason other than that finding an old Buffalo or V nickel is a fun find? What’s the highest value nickel anyone has found? I have some War nickels that might be worth a few bucks, but that’s it for me.

• Like 3

I have had this same argument with myself several times Steve :).

But for me, I dig nickel tones at a new site for the information they provide me.  Yes, they are also in the range of a few selections of gold rings, but I look at it on a larger scale.  If I have a site that I am pulling multiple nickels from, that tells me it hasn't been detected much for gold jewelry at all... so I start paying more attention to the TID's just below and above the nickel id.  Especially if there are few high tone coins, but several nickels.  At least that is my approach, it isn't the nickel ID itself, but what it represents for that area. 

Having said that, I have pulled three War Nickels since I got my Equinox E600, and I am pretty stoked about that too.  Not a lot of value, but cool finds :). 

And Cabin Fever's post reminded me why I dig zinc pennies too. :)

Tim.

• Like 3

I only started metal detecting last year, so I haven't found many good finds or even many nickels for that matter, but I did find a 1939 D (key date) in good condition. At that point I hadn't found any silver yet, so I traded it with my Dad (who has been collecting coins nearly his whole life and didn't have one of these) for a few silver coins.

• Like 3

My Nickel digging is definitely site and mood dependent..  If I’m hunting an aluminum infested parking strip, I’m not wasting my time on Nickels..  Key date Nickels are hard to come by in my area compared to the Wheats and silvers.. I got a 16 D Buff this year and a couple 17 S last year.. Lucky if their worth $20.00 in dug condition.. Probably closer to the $5-$10 range..  Some Nickels with meat left on them clean up nice with steel wool and look pretty cool if not cleaned to far..  I usually only chase the deeper nickel signals to keep the tab count down.. The only gold rings that I have found were all Nickel signals since I’m not a jewelry hunter..

Im already working on my Equinox Nickel skills trying to find a strategy to cut down on the the trash..  I do this knowing I could be missing some good stuff.. I’m trying to find a balance of time, quality of finds and fun.. 

In Park 1 I have yet to dig a Nickel that has either bounced down to 11 or up to 14.. Not saying this can’t happen but it hasn’t yet..  If I get even one flash of 11 over several sweeps it has always been a rolled up or broken Beaver Tail, or in one of yesterday’s digs, an old junk kids ring.. I’m thinking a Silver War Nickel could bounce higher, but I haven’t found one yet with the Nox and they really don’t excite me much either..

This all being said. In a park that I know well, and where old stuff is real deep. I will dig almost all non ferrous signals that lay beneath the aluminum zone..  That’s how you get the cool pins, buttons, tokens and such..

Bryan

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I’m thinking a Silver War Nickel could bounce higher, but I haven’t found one yet with the Nox and they really don’t excite me much either..

All three of mine were 13-14, or solid 14.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

When I do coin hunt however the fact is most older nickels I find are in such poor condition that it’s doubtful they are even worth face value.

I'm sure it depends upon the ground conditions.  I dug a 1949-D (common date+MM) in VF condition a couple weeks ago and except for discoloration it cleaned up quite nicely with soap and water.  That came from the lot I've been so successful finding Wheat and silver.  Come to think of it I can't remember finding any clad in the upper part of the lot (where I found the nickel) and hardly any Memorials (thankfully no Zincolns).  My conclusion is that this nickel was in the ground a long time, probably 50+ years.

The one Shield Nickel I found (1867 w/rays) in another location was very badly deteriorated from the acid in the ground.  From the details on the coin I was able to deduce that it hadn't been in circulation a long time so likely dropped well over a century ago.  The extra time plus likely a higher soil acidity than site 1 really did a number on it, unfortunately.

As far as Warnicks, which were minted in large quantity and thus shouldn't be as hard to find as some of the semi-key date Jeffies, they contain 78% as much silver as a silver dime.  At today's $16.55/tr.oz price that makes a (not too badly worn) Warnick worth about $0.90 (silver content).

I can't bring myself to skip digging nickel TID signals, particularly if they're tight on the 12-13 TID of the Eqx.  It's certainly a numbers game as far as finding collectible dates, but I've been pleased with my Wheat finds so far and, besides, it's just fun for a few hours (until I get them soap-and-water clean) wondering if this time I got a good one!

• Like 2

Sometimes something beautiful comes up.  This did with my ctx in a park at 8" this past Monday.  Thanks fpr the writeup Steve :)

20180326_173554.jpg

20180326_173609.jpg

• Like 6

Just finding old coins is what I enjoy, so far this year I have found a 1867 shield nickel 1907 V nickel 1918 Buffalo 1943 war nickel

plus after over 40 years of detecting my first 3 cent nickel 1865.  And 2 two cents a 1866 and 1864. The war nickel is the only silver coin I found this year so far.

Stick.

• Like 3

Must be related to the soil conditions where one hunts.  My local park reveals clad dimes and quarters a dark reddish color and copper pennies a dark brown.  Nickels have a purple coating but in good condition. I recover about 1 pull tab to every 10 zinc pennies, the zincs are usually totally corroded.  My take is about 50/50 clad to zinc.

2 hours ago, Vez said:

Sometimes something beautiful comes up.  This did with my ctx in a park at 8" this past Monday.  Thanks fpr the writeup Steve :)

20180326_173554.jpg

20180326_173609.jpg

Nice!   Better take a very close look at that date Vez..

There is a rare Doubled Die version of that coin running around that start in the 4 figure range..

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By normmcq
      Went for an afternoon hunt yesterday to an area that had several music festivals over the years. I didn't expect to find any silver coins, and I didn't.
      A relatively small area produced a good number of coins, pull tabs and other miscellaneous junk along with a Swiss Army knife that was in three pieces. The handles had become separated from the knife.
       After getting home and inspecting my finds,I discovered the knife handles are 925 sterling with an engraved name on one of them.I will try to contact that person. A very expensive little knife

• By Happa54
      Hey everyone,
      I get out on Sundays. Some half days and some full days. Half days you don't get much except a lot of clad, and full days you will work your butt off literally, for a few worth mentioning finds.
      You really gotta work these parks. You have to find areas where there aren't crowds so driving around finding that right spot takes time from your day. Leaving the house at 6am or earlier is the norm for me. 
      I'm still on a buffalo/V nickel quest and averaging 20 -30 nickels per hunt. Got a buffalo this past Sunday, 2 silver dimes and a few wheats. I come home dirty/sweaty due to the heat but I'm liking every minute of it.
      I hope everyone had a great weekend hunt.

• By Buzzard
      I got out for a little bit , so I took my Nox out to see how the new update worked.
      So far UI am happy with it, and to me it seemed a little more sensitive.
      My finds.
        First pic is ll I found on the walk , 2nd pic is close up of an earring I found

• By phrunt
      Yesterday started as a day to find gold, I went to the place I went last weekend with Kiwijw where he found 12 nuggets or something, seems to be his norm lately that he gets into double digits.  I only had my Nox with me last weekend and I was getting overloaded with pellets so this weekend I decided I'd take my GPX to avoid getting so many pellets and hopefully a little nugget, but no such luck, the GPX was still getting lots of pellets, only they were deeper ones, missing some of the surface pellets, but not all.  Now instead of digging pellets 2 cm down, I was digging pellets 10 cm down.
      I am sure if there was a nugget there I would have found it, the GPX was running like a dream, even with big high voltage power lines nearby, some days they mess with it, others they don't... and this day was perfect.  I followed everybody's advice and took my time, covered the area completely at a slow pace, digging everything, after a couple of hours once I'd covered the area completely with the GPX and Nugget Finder 14x9 Evo I went back over it with the Nox and 6" in Gold 2 with Iron bias 0 and sensitivity 24 and the horseshoe button pressed, ended up digging another 14 pellets the GPX missed although it had got 21 pellets and about half of them were 10+ cm and old brown looking things, not the usual pellet I get with the Nox as they're usually still grey or shiney silver.  It was starting to get dark and my chicken and chips from lunch was starting to wear off so I thought I'd go get a burger for dinner.

These are the pellets, the larger rusty looking ones are the type the GPX was getting down deep, they look very old.  the tiny ones below are some of the smallest pellets I've ever found, The GPX was able to detect them as a slight change in threshold but I really struggled to find them with the large coil so used the Nox to pinpoint where they were.  I am surprised just how small the GPX can detect with the 14x9 EVO when my settings are fine tuned for small gold.
      I really didn't want to go home with my second skunk in a row, I hate doing that as my wife questions why I bother, she just doesn't understand so while eating my burger I decided I'd go hit a local playground as I read on here often how well people do in playgrounds and I knew this one had at least one ring in it as my daughter was playing there one day about 6 months ago and a lady and her friend were wildly digging in there searching for a ring one of them had lost, she was quite upset at losing it but they eventually gave up as the fine little pebbles in the playground were about 30cm deep and so easy to lose something in.  I went back the next day at 4am as this playground is on the lake and is full of people from first daylight until late at night but I was new to my Nox at the time at the 11" coil was just going nuts with all the bottle tops and ring pulls and alloy wrapper bits and so on I had no hope with my Nox ability to use it in this junk filled gravel.
      Now I am much better at using and understanding my Nox and I was armed with the 6" coil which wouldn't overload so much on the junk so I was eager to give it another try.  I got to the park only to find out they've ripped the entire park out and are rebuilding a new bigger better park, all the wonderful pebbles filled with treasures were gone!!!!! 
      I was determined to go home with something so I started detecting the waterfront and coins were popping up all over the place

I didn't dig too much junk at all even though the gravels on the waterfront are filled with bottle caps and pull tabs as I was exclusively cherry picking coins and only left the coin numbers available on the VDI, all other numbers were discriminated out, I will go back one day and hit the area without the discrimination just in case there is some jewellery to be found but on this particular trip I didn't have time to mess around, I just wanted to go home without a skunk.
      The oldest coin there is a 1937 NZ threepence which is 50% silver, and it was on edge 🙂 The Nox update worked   A lot of these coins were on edge, It must just be how the lake gravel lets them sink down.
      The little LED on my Garrett Pro Pointer AT was a life saver and made detecting in the dark possible, it's so bright I was able to use it as a torch, the Carrot was also used to quickly recover all the coins, I really like my Carrot for coin hunting, I couldn't imagine doing it without it.  The 6" coil is brilliant for trashy areas and the Nox is so versatile, gold prospecting by day, coin shooting by night!  
      All the modern coins are now in my daughters money box, so she's happy as can be and I turned my skunk around in their eyes.

• By Dan(NM)
      I hit a couple more permissions on the street I've been working for the last week and half. They did not fail to produce enough finds to keep the hunt interesting all day long. I was using my 800, which made it back from Minelab in 11 days after needing to be replaced. To be honest, I couldn't tell a bit of difference from it and the 600 I was using while the 800 was being replaced.
         The Nox was made for this type of hunting, tone break ability along with being able to adjust the tones to make the higher conductors really jump out. Couple that with being able to swing relatively fast and still hear the good stuff makes this machine a permission slayer.  The permissions have been good to me this month, 1 Walker...3 Washington quarters....11 Rosies....75 Wheats
         I'm able to cover the yards twice in different directions in less time than I could if I was swinging the FBS machines. Anyway, I'm absolutely sold on the machine 🙂
       My settings:
      Sensitivity....18-20
      Recovery speed.....6
      Iron Bias.....0
      2 Tones
      Ground Balance....0
      Tone Break at 21
      Pitch....-9 to 21  Pitch at 1
      22+  Pitch set to 25
      Full Volume on both tones

• By Dan(NM)
      I was invited by a buddy to hunt a permission that he scored a couple of weeks ago while out sight seeing with his wife. So, today we headed over to the place about an hour from my house to see if this old place would produce. The pictures tell a little history about the old house, our excitement was tempered by reality within the first hour 😞 
         The majority of finds were modern trash and clad, nothing what we had envisioned finding at a place surrounded by so much history. I finally scored a wheat which told me the place hadn't been hunted completely out by previous metal detectorist.  Three wheats and 40 minutes later I finally score a silver rosie, 1964 🙂 Well, it wasn't a complete loss after all. I hunted my way closer to the house and picked up a couple of Colorado tax tokens, it's always a treat to score a token or 2. 
        While my buddy was talking to the owner of the place I decided to go back over an area I had hunted before and was rewarded with a 42 Washington quarter. My partner was not having a good day at all, he could not get his coil over anything worthwhile the entire morning. The owner had given us permission to hunt the old place next door, so we decided to go ahead and see if it might improve his luck somewhat. Well....it did for me anyway  lol...first target was a wheat and within 10 minutes I dug my second Washington quarter.
        I was scanning along the side walk and got a nice soft repeatable 28-29, down at 8 1/2"  out comes what I thought was a Mexican coin, turned out to be a large brass token.  A couple more wheaties were found before we needed to head out for the hour long drive for me and 2 1/2 drive for my buddy.
        We think that this small old town has been targeted in the past, especially the Dolan house, not one find dated the place and nothing there was deep. We did see a picture of the house back in the day, could be fill was brought in at some point and the older stuff was buried beyond the range of the machines.
       Not a bad day overall, went home with some silver and some cool tokens to add to my stash. My settings were what I normally run when my time is limited and I want to maximize my hunt time.
       Sens....20
      2-Tone,
      Tone break set to 22
      Pitch set at 2 from -9 to 21
      Recovery 3
      Iron bias 0
      Field 2
      I'm debating whether or not to sell the 800 and just use the 600, for my type of hunting the 600 performs like a champ and gives the 800 a run for it's money.