2 hours ago, strick said:

Funny how one is red and the other is green.

Yeah, that was weird. Nickels turn red in this soil. The green one was under some trees, about 8” down in some roots, and although it’s been raining popped out of the ground green and dry. It was like in this little air pocket under a root. Unfortunately it was a very worn coin when dropped so being protected did it no good. The red one has much better detail. I am going to try some of the cleaning tips on this thread to see if I can get some better contrast.

The penny is in great shape except for some weird corrosion blobs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

One reason - my wife seems far less impressed by a few old coins than by a vial of gold nuggets!

:laugh: So true.  Ever since I brought home my first gold ring, my coin finds are much less interesting to my wife.  haha.  Tim.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, that was weird. Nickels turn red in this soil. The green one was under some trees, about 8” down in some roots, and although it’s been raining popped out of the ground green and dry. It was like in this little air pocket under a root. Unfortunately it was a very worn coin when dropped so being protected did it no good. The red one has much better detail. I am going to try some of the cleaning tips on this thread to see if I can get some better contrast.

The penny is in great shape except for some weird corrosion blobs.

The red one will clean up for sure with steel wool....other green one looks pretty ruff?  Just remember that it's easy to overdue it on cleaning those old buffs and V's, especially if you go with the chemicals. Stick with the steel wool and you'll be pretty safe.  Modern nickels I clean with vinegar & salt and throw a bunch in a small container and shake the piss outta them. ALWAYS keep your nickels separate from other dug coins when cleaning, don't mix them with any other pennies or clad......

I don't know why (?) but I love digging V's/buffs even tho they usually are in bad shape.............

NICE coins!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh man...that one is really pitted....but still a big improvement over fresh dug red.  Keep em coming!!!!

• Like 1

I like a good ol nickel just as much as any other good ol coin.  Value is a different question.  You have to dig em so you don't miss gold.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...

I was out doing some metal detecting looking for that fist elusive siver coin, I was at an older park that I felt may give me some luck on the older stuff. After a bit of no luck and not much of anything including junk, I hit a solid 58 VDI on my F19 and a short distance from that a second solid 58. Well knowing this to be a defiant nickel sign I dug them up. I like nickels anyway. Date on the first was 64 and the second was 54. Now I know that is not impressive to most but its getting to the age of silver and that is exciting for me.

Before moving on I checked the spot and got a solid 47 VDI thought that was odd but it was really solid so I had to see what it was.

Turns out to be a happy dance:smile: 12 Safire and 5 Diamonds at 10 KT.....................

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.1ca62476bbb8b106ebd417b2ef88b66d.JPG

HH, SJM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You can definitely find rings in the nickel range. The reality is the nickel range is a weak spot for rings with most women’s rings falling in the foil area below where a nickel reads. Conversely, most men’s rings show up in the pull tab area above where nickels read. Anyone who wants rings has to purposefully focus on the two most trash laden areas of the target id scale!

Ring Target ID Numbers

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I love finding nickels. My area here in northeast Texas was settled 1850’s. My oldest coin to date is a no date shield nickel.  I hunt an older park quite a bit and around one old oak I have pulled 14 V nickels and the shield. Don’t know what the people were doing around that old tree but they lost a bunch of nickels.  

• Like 2