This topic got me digging through my Nickels which I usually don’t give much thought too.. My two 1917 S Nickels might have a little more value then I first thought.. My rough grading puts them at EF-40 and F-12 which equates to a Red book value of $200 and $75..  The real question is what are they REALLY worth after they come out of the ground and I clean them..  I’m guessing 25-50% at best.. I don’t sell my coins but might eBay a Nickel some day out of curiosity.. 

Clean coins at your own risk, but for those of you who want to try and bring some life back to a crusty old red Nickel just for enjoyment, try Steel wool.. I use SOS pads and rub the Nickels while under a slow dribble of water in the sink.. just do a little at a time and try to just put a shine on the high points.. Leaving some red in the background helps give the coin character and makes the details stand out.. 

Nickels that are smooth don’t benefit much from the cleaning.. More detail the better..

Don’t try this with copper and silver of course..

77B8CF35-7247-40AA-A1F9-C700D69E25E9.jpeg

D4EE1C26-0A86-4381-8489-660D24DAEAAF.jpeg

A1BF148B-9BB4-41AD-807F-3327E20DD5F7.jpeg

1B74C177-FD74-4D19-9FFB-9FE9E74B1FF7.jpeg

18552A9B-4C47-4D88-B684-338D0005D799.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Nice!   Better take a very close look at that date Vez..

There is a rare Doubled Die version of that coin running around that start in the 4 figure range..

I cleaned it as much as I am willing to and it doesnt look like a DD.  

20180329_222748.jpg

• Like 2

I LOVE digging nickels mainly because there are so many out there and I love old coins even if not worth anything?  Most guys don't have the skill/patience or a machine that ID nickels well so they don't want to mess with a little extra trash/effort, etc?  Etrac, in the right hands is KILLER on nickels and trash to nickel finds tilt in your favor so digging 4-5 trashy beaver tails for 3-4 nickels is a small price to pay imo?

When a park has been pretty well cleaned out of silver to YOUR best abilities and pickens are slim....try some "nickel knocking" as there are still a LOT of cool old nickels to be had!  Most guys just don't chase nickels.....

Only nickel I've ever found that had any value above 5 cents was this 3-legged Buffie in good condition for a dug nickel. Even after using chemicals and abrasives on it to clean I still "think" I might be able to get 50-$100 for it possibly on that auction sight?

I've only dug 4 gold rings with the etrac and they were all got chasing a nickel signal so there could be a payoff so to speak?

This pic is my last season "keeper" nickel totals (2016).  200+ regular nickels that got cleaned and put back into circulation.........

P1200007[1].JPG

P8090009.JPG

• Like 6

Steve,

A couple reasons..

I have a coin type set that I have worked at purchasing over the years, and also a coin type set that I am filling out with dug coins.  It is rewarding to dig the tougher ones, although I probably have no shot at some of the oldest silver, but the dug book isnt missing too many any more.

When I am out in the farm fields with few targets, everything gets dug except hot rocks and the lowest of iron...it is amazing how many times nickel area numbers turn out to be partial pewter spoons, and other farmer dropped stuff.  I love trying to research them..if I stay to high numbers/tones, I would never get most of that.

It is  sometimes a bit mentally challenging to dig even lower numbers, knowing that to get a 3 cent nickel or 1 dollar gold at depth...have to do it.

More importantly, my young daugher loves to help me "clean'" the old coins i get, so most nickles, being in such lousy shape anyway, give her the ammunition she needs to happily work on them while keeping the more delicate IndianHead cents for me.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rod-pa said:

More importantly, my young daugher loves to help me "clean'" the old coins i get, so most nickles, being in such lousy shape anyway, give her the ammunition she needs to happily work on them

I'd say that alone could make digging nickels, and a whole lot more, well worth the effort.

Got out this morning for an  hour and a half with my equinox 600. Got 25 coins mostly clad, but did dig this clip, almost thought it was junk, but saw the rim of a coin in it. Once home pulled the coin out, turned out to be two, a well worn standing liberty quarter and a buffalo nickel! This is my first dug buffalo nickel.

20180330_161530070_iOS.jpg

20180330_161540017_iOS.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

That 3 leg is a beauty Oneguy.. How are you cleaning your Nickels?

Thanx guys!!!!!  

I use steel wool first, then depending on how pitted the nickel is depends on if I take it further?  If not pitted too bad I'll then scrub by hand with an abrasive like Comet or Bon-Ami.  If not pitted and in real good shape (for a dug nickel) then I might QUICKLY run some Santeen with a Q-tip on the coin trying to lighten up the field of the coin...coin has to be in REAL GOOD shape before the Santeen as it'll really ruin the looks of a badly pitted coin so be careful...........

Here's the best looking 1910 V nickel I've ever dug so it can happen.  I did use steel wool and a little Santeen on the coin. It was found under a Doug Fir tree in a pile of needles and for some odd reason was in exceptionally great shape?  A rarity for sure......

Unfortunately my Etrac just sits and I'm not sure whether to keep it or sell it?  I'm so far out in Podunk and have to travel too damned far to coin shoot so I switched to prospecting the yellow stuff closer to me instead.  Hate the big city and the crap that goes with just being there, hate door knocking, hate people in the parks giving you the stink-eye or calling cops, etc.  I truly love and miss coin shooting but I'm better off out in the brush chasing the yellow metal by myself with nobody around to bother me......

P6130003[1].JPG

P6130004_1[1].JPG

• Like 4

Very nice..

I’ll do some experimenting with some your techniques.. I have pretty much just used the steel wool but you are getting some good results with what your doing..

Your V Nickel story reminds me of a 1937 Buffalo I found in an old park, just under the grass roots but sitting on top of a large tree roots.. Because It wasn’t in the soil I just had to rinse it off with water. Looks like it had been lost that week..

Here it is.. 

BD258843-3FA5-4249-882E-2C7FC21F9069.jpeg

• Like 2