I only dig when I get a solid 13 on my Equinox. I have tried a few times when the signal was mostly 13 but maybe bounced to 14 on occasion but each time it turned out to be a tab. It seems as though on some days I hit a lot of nickels and other days none. It could be the moisture in the soil or even the park I am hunting but the park I been working I have only 2 nickels out of $40 in clad. The funny part about this park is I only get maybe one penny for every ten dimes or quarters. Unusually low penny count. The last two hunts totaling $12 in clad I have found 2 nickels and 11 pennies. 

Due to an Easter Egg hunt I am going to a hunted out soccer field where I have found a lot of nickels but I may have hit it one to many times recently because my last hunt only produced about $2.50

My reason for digging nickels is because of the gold rings.. I have never found a nickel older than say 1950. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oneguy said:

Only nickel I've ever found that had any value above 5 cents was this 3-legged Buffie in good condition for a dug nickel. Even after using chemicals and abrasives on it to clean I still "think" I might be able to get 50-$100 for it possibly on that auction sight?

You might want to grade that (in the long run pay a professional service to do it) since I think your value estimate is rather low.  To grade yourself:  https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Buffalo/Grades

One thing to note from the reverse photo you showed is the horn detail.  This looks to me like close to a full strike.  I don't know the likelihood of a full strike on the 1937-D 3-legged variety but if it's like typical Buffies that would add considerably to the value.

Yes, cleaning (because of scratches and potentially change to unnatural color) does reduce the value but from the photo you show it's still quite attractive.  Assuming it's authentic (probably easier to larcenously alter than many similar error coins...) don't even think of accepting $100 for this coin (unless you want to sell it to me :laugh:).  This is the kind of coin I can only dream of finding.  Great job!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You might want to grade that (in the long run pay a professional service to do it) since I think your value estimate is rather low.  To grade yourself:  https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Buffalo/Grades

One thing to note from the reverse photo you showed is the horn detail.  This looks to me like close to a full strike.  I don't know the likelihood of a full strike on the 1937-D 3-legged variety but if it's like typical Buffies that would add considerably to the value.

Yes, cleaning (because of scratches and potentially change to unnatural color) does reduce the value but from the photo you show it's still quite attractive.  Assuming it's authentic (probably easier to larcenously alter than many similar error coins...) don't even think of accepting $100 for this coin (unless you want to sell it to me :laugh:).  This is the kind of coin I can only dream of finding.  Great job!

PM me if you want the coin for $110 ($10 extra to cover ins. & ship).....  I have a couple other pics I can send of the coin.  I also did some research after I found the coin and from what I read they say that the way to determine a real from a fake is to look for the "stream" where it looks like the buffalo is peeing that was caused by bad dies (common on the real 3- leggeds)? Mine has the "stream" and also a dug coin so I highly doubt a fake?  I also understand grading and dabbled in coin collecting for many years before I realized the difference between the Grey Sheet price and the retail price (I think coin dealer premiums are WAY too high, etc.).  Coin is a dug coin so you have enviremental damage, cleaning damage with physical and chemical.  But yes....the coin would have been a damned nice coin had it not been in the ground?  The obverse looks pretty good also.  If you can make a buck off it...fine with me?  I have nobody to will my stuff to and all my coins would end up getting sold for nothing to a dealer in the end anyways?  Here's another....see the "stream"...???? Coin was dug in Missoula, MT........

P8090005_1.JPG

• Like 1

chuck....PM sent

1195 nickles last year. one war nickle, another dozen or so keepers, but no buffs. However, I recovered four gold items at nickle range totalling 19+ grams gold content. For me digging nickles is well worth the trash/nickle ratio. Gotta do your own thing!

• Like 5

I like Nickels, especially if its the only old coin ya found for the day. Beats going home skunked :smile:

Went out a bit with Monte today and a nickel was all I was able to snag.

20180401_182230.jpg

• Like 3

Because I don't do much coin detecting, I think I have found almost as many gold rings as nickels!  A couple years ago, I cashed in maybe 15 or so rings..... don't think I've found a nickel or ring since.

Nice Liberty Head.  I suppose you would have told us if it had a mintmark, but given your location I'm still hopeful.  Not counting the infamous 1913 (5 specially made), the 1912-D has the 4th lowest mintage and the 1912-S the lowest mintage in the series.  The 1885 and 1886 (2nd and 3rd lowest mintage) are more valuable than the 1912-S (#3 in value) while the 1912-D unfortanately isn't worth much more than the common dates.  Hope yours has an -S!

Yesterday I pulled a 1906 V and better yet a 1913 S Type 2 Buffalo.. This is my most rare Nickel to date..

The 13 S Type 2 is big bucks but this one is pretty ugly and probably a fraction of what it could have been If didn’t sit in the ground for a hundred years..

Bryan

0C78A26A-BB48-453B-AFBB-92415AF8838A.jpeg

6A4465E0-C451-4D6D-A350-9959F4FFD03D.jpeg

• Like 4