I may be missing something here but I'm inquiring to see if someone might clear up my question?  I believe mining reports of gold recovered are quoted in ounces per ton processed. My question is 'what is the physical dimension of a ton'?  I've done some research and came up with the general consensus that one cubic (3'X3'X3') yard of dry dirt is approximately  2000 lbs. However one cubic yard of dry sand is quoted as approximately 2800 lbs. and a cubic yard of mixed gravel is quoted as approximately 2600 lbs.  Do these figures seem correct?  I would think quoting ounces per cubic yard more meaningful.   If drywashing I guess the weight for dry dirt would be close enough to figure the approximate recovery rate per yard?

If you are working with yards, ounces per yard would be good. (As in placer mining)

If you are working with tons, ounces per ton are good.(As in hard rock mining)

A ton of material can be any size depending on the density and moisture content of the material.

• Like 4

Drywashing according to Jim Straight requires less 5% moisture content for efficient recovery. Theoretically figuring then I would assume that desert dirt ground assayed at an ounce per ton, processing a cubic yard (3'X3'X3') should yield an ounce. I guess this would follow logic if the gold was evenly distributed?    My thought is going back to the early years when an old drywasher miner up in the desert would stake a claim to run material. He had to conceive some method of calculating how much yardage he would have to process to justify his labor effort.  Hopefully more than just putting beans on his plate.

Thank you Steve,   I've got some reading to do.

HH,  Don