Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Compatibility

Bhogg

8 hours ago, randomman123 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Great general purpose review links, unfortunately, these reviews are geared towards general wireless earbud usage and lack information in one key spec/parameter that probably matters most for detectorists.  Namely, whether the buds are APTX or APTX low latency which is extremely important as latency is perhaps even more important and noticeable to detecting as it is to those using wireless phones to watch video.  Bookmarked the links, nevertheless, thanks.

• 4 months later...

On 3/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Bhogg said:

Hi All

I was just wondering if there’s a way to use other Wireless Bluetooth headphones/ Earbuds instead of the one’s that came with the detector?.

Just asking as my ears can get quite sweaty with the over ear headphones on during summer months and it’d be great if I could use another option. 

As I’m sure many others I’m guessing would be in the same vote as myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Folks, looks like technology has become more affordable. I searched the market for APTX Low latency earbuds and came up with these very affordable at £25 approx $25 from Amazon UK:-

Q12 Plus SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones Magnetic Wireless Earbuds IPX6 In-Ear Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Earphones (9 Hours Playtime, APTX-LL, CVC 8.0, 10mm Drivers),    They sound good, (I could not tell the difference from the NOX headset) and easy to synch with the Nox. I can now wear a hat in the cold, and not worry about my headphones getting wet in the rain (IPX6), and good backups if preferred. Also, a tip for those with doubts about their hearing, download one of the hearing testing apps such "Hearing Test" as and test your hearing using different headphones and earbuds. It is a way to check your hearing sensitivity across the frequencies, and compare devices, (reassure yourself about quality). There is even some earbuds that allow you to check your hearing and adjust their responsiveness across the frequency range to compensate, the setting are uploaded into the buds. They are the MEE audio EB 1 Bluetooth® headset, but at £152 at bit expensive unless you really need them.  Happy Hunting, Cheers Clive

• Like 1

Great - let us know how it turns out.  Earbud APTX-LL phones are hard to find at any price.  Last supposed APTX - LL headphones I ordered online did not pair up with the bluetooth "+" mark on my Equinox. You never know for sure until they are paired up and you see the plus sign.  I have not found any non-APTX-LL BT phones to be usable due to the delay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been checking in on this thread for the last month. I greatly appreciate all of the information this site has on the Equinox. In that time I have order 4 different pairs of bluetooth headphones to go with my 600.  I have ordered the Soundpeats Engine, the Soundpeats Q12+, the Dudios Zeus, and the Aukey Latitude. I think Amazon is going to drop my account with all of my returns.  Every pair have had the same issues.  They connect, but I get a crackly sound and they cut in and out.  I had an old pair of Taotronic TT-BH23 (now discontinued) that I have been using and got good sound out of them even though they were not low latency but this last week they decided to quit taking a charge.

I contacted Minelab and they suggested I do a factory reset, which I did and have done each time I switched headphones, or possibly meeting up with someone that has the factory bluetooth headphones, which is not possible because I don't know anyone that has them. 

Has anybody had any issues similar to this?  Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I have only had latency issues, phones not pairing up as APTX low latency even though they claimed low latency.  Any headphone I have paired successfully as low latency has performed fine audibly.  I wonder if there is not an issue with your machine's bluetooth transmitter.  If you want to take a chance on another Amazon headphone purchase, look at the Miccus phones linked here - ML apparently uses a cloned version of the Miccus phones as the basis for the Equinox ML branded phones.  Even though I have an 800, I purchased the Miccus phones as backup early on, but just kept using them as my primary phones for the last year and have kept the ML phones pristine.  The Miccus phones have performed flawlessly and have held up to a year's worth of detecting abuse.  I even use them with my GPX that I have fitted with a Trond APTX LL BT transmitter so I can go wireless.  I have been trying out a new set of noise cancelling APTX LL phones here which sound great with the NC feature cancelling out ambient wind noise, but they are pricier and the jury is still out on durability.  These Sound Peat Engine buds work great for me also, better and less expensive than tge Soundoest Q12's.  HTH.

• 1 month later...

I ordered the Q12 Plus SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones Magnetic Wireless Earbuds IPX6 In-Ear Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Earphones (9 Hours Playtime, APTX-LL, CVC 8.0, 10mm Drivers) same as CliveHamy. They arrived in 2 days from amazon $28.  I paired right up after charging.  They are very nice.  They come with 4 different wings and 3 different buds.  I buried a penny and a quarter at 4 inches and swung my Equinox 800 over them.  They sound just like my head phones.  Spot on and pinpointed right on.  I went on a short hunt where my grand daughter tossed my Christmas present ( several modern coins) and I hit a quarter and a nickel.  So far the earbuds are comfortable and they are APTx Low Latency Bluetooth 5.0. I recommend them for someone looking to use earbuds instead of head phones.  These will be my go to wireless earbuds from now on.

• Like 3

I am glad to share my experiences and hopefully all of us can benefit.  Keep us posted Againstmywill on how these earbuds stack up and I will be doing the same.  Happy Hunting Everyone

Had the Q12 Plus, too. They pair with AptX-LL, no problem. They sound great, but they simply don't hold up in my ears when moving... so I had to return them :sad:

Aukey has some AptX-LL in their lineup now, but they're 3x the price. Avantree has a new in-ear model coming .. but my ear's don't seem to be in-ear compatible :ph34r:

https://www.aukey.com/products/hybrid-dual-driver-bluetooth-earbuds-key-series-b80

http://www.avantree.com/dual-driver-bluetooth-earphones-avantree-clari-air-ll.html

Without spending huge amounts of money, I've yet to find a single pair of wireless ear buds or head phones that will perform as well as the stock headphones that come with the EQ800.  On some of these units the lag time is totally unacceptable, way to slow, not useable.