Iron Bias

strick

4 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

those low settings, you are one of the first I have seen where it has markedly increased depth performance, so glad that is working for you.

Yes.  My experience has shown, if anything, the opposite effect.  I occasionally notice greater depth with a faster recovery speed accompanied by a faster swing speed.  It seems strange, but I chalk it up to the machine's speed??  On the flip side, I have not yet observed greater depth with slower recovery speed and swing speed, which is what one might (I did) expect.

• Like 1

It’s all soil and trash dependent but lower recovery speed can mean more depth.. Simple air tests prove this but when the ground and trash comes in to play everything changes..  You have to test on your sites to see what’s best..  

Bryan

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Nuke em, Recovery speed is deep and mineral, and separator filter - in low mineralization like mine, I can use RecS 1.2, medium coins and big coins, 3-4 on smaller coins .... You use in your terrain Rec.S-which gives you the strongest signal and is still well ID ...

I have to have low reactivity on my beaches , a lot of the time most targets are deep . My beaches fill up or empty between 1 and 10 feet of sand shingle in a tide at times . Some of the worst beaches and trashiest about .

• Like 1

High recovery speed and depth, faster sweep-it's deep, but it separates well in slow sweep ...

I sweep slow and i notice less depth with high recovery speed . Thats why i have lowered it .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

I first started running my Equinox on 0 Iron Bias but have lately been floating in the 2-3 range.. A couple of the parks I have hunted had some tiny, almost wire size nails in them that were falsing and giving some pretty good dig signals.. That slight bump in Iron Bias has seem to clean those up without affecting my unmasking abilities around the bigger nails..

Recovery Speed does affect depth.. The higher speeds are still deep though..  I float between 4-7 depending on site and trash conditions.. I’m really starting to get a feel for the Detector and I can sense when It’s getting sluggish and adjust accordingly.. You need to run full tones including iron for this though..  Most of my time is spent in 5-6 but I drop to 4 in cleaner areas where I know the deep coins reside and ramp up to as high as 7 in parking strips or around picnic tables for example..

still very early in the learning curve so this could all change, but that’s where I am at this time and doing well..

Bryan

Of course depth is affected to a degree (actually it is more signal to noise ratio as I mentioned previously, you are trying to minimize ground noise but not to the extent you minimize the signal to an inaudible blip).  But the affect is so slight, I have seen very little reason to go below 4 myself and usually keep it at 6 or above, but that is just from swing experience, I have not done exhaustive test garden demonstrations with various recovery speeds and of course have not encountered every possible situation in the field.  Again, my reference is Deus where you want to hang out at 2 to 3 where the setting goes from 0 to 5.  ML has seemed to favor the high end of the range, at least as far as the defaults are concerned.  I guess my situations call for more separation than depth.  Nuke's situation seems unusual, but there is a reason ML did not make 4 the minimum recovery speed and Nuke seems to be the poster child for that reason, so I am glad he is able to put those low settings to good use.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

Musím mít nízkou reaktivitu na svých plážích, hodně času je většina cílů hluboká. Moje pláže se naplní nebo vyprázdní mezi 1 až 10 stop písečného šindele v občasném přílivu. Některé z nejhorších pláží a nejhorší pláže.

Try on deep signals, change Recovery speed from 1 to 4 ...- but everything will depend on terrain-mineralization .. if the recovery speed is very low - so when sweeping you get a signal from the ground ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

Try on the deep signals, change the Recovery speed from 1 to 4 ...- but everything will depend on the terrain-mineralization

I would add to that, test different swing speeds along with testing different recovery speeds.

As Steve and others here have said, test, Test, TEST.

So much in detecting is local ground, mineralisation,  and trash conditions.  It really is a balance of learning the machine and environment together... plus personal preferences matter too.  More time spent detecting and more testing help the fog to lift, but also hearing others experiences in their environments.  Thanks for sharing your experiences everybody.  You're helping me see beyond my own experiences.

I have a set swing speed . Used to slow ET and Explorer's . Fast reactivity isn't important but depth is . High reactivity kills depth , makes the machine faster instead of deeper . Its the reason i had so much trouble on my first search .

Unless in very bad iron i wont use high reactivity again .  Or maybe a ploughed field .

54 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

High reactivity kills depth

How much depth were you losing when you compared the 6 recovery speed to a 1 recovery speed?