ATX Beach Coil

I have the ATX with new DD enclosed coil.  It's a killer on dry sand, wet sand, shoreline.  But when I get into water more than a foot deep, it wants to float.

Question - which would be better water coil for Southern California beaches - 8" mono coil or 12 x 10 open DD coil?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I have used both and it is basically a ground coverage thing, so I am guessing for you the 12" x 10" will suit you better. The 8" gets about the same depth and is great for rocky areas or other locations the larger coil would not maneuver in well. I favored the 8" in Hawaii for this reason. I used the 12" coil up at Tahoe and other more open beach type scenarios.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/102-garrett-atx-review-beach-detecting-in-hawaii/

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/867-garrett-atx-return-to-hawaii/

Thanks Steve.  

The beaches here are hit pretty hard and I need to expand my range.  As always, your advice is the best I've found anywhere.

Happy Easter and Happy Hunting.

I was hoping to take my enclosed coil snorkling this summer, is it real bad for floating, was thinking 3 feet avg and thought maneuvering an enclosed coil in water would be more of a problem than the floatation. I guess the eq800 will have to be my underwater machine if its that bad...just need the headphones to be released for it...

undersc0re,

It was a wrestling match the whole time.  Take it to a pond or fill up your bathtub and try it!  Happy Hunting!

• Like 1