Still Killing Clad With 800, Wondering If I Should Grid The Park

Norm S

I been hunting this park for 2 hrs a day since last Sat the 24th. Anyway I have pulled out in excess of $35 - $40 in clad and a cpl silver rings and a few worthless tokens. This morning I pulled out  $6.37 in two hours and only dug one tab and had on mystery 25 signal that I quit looking for at 12". I already had an 8" diameter plug and at 12" I just quit. There were a bunch of women show up and started exercising in the same area I was detecting but I was getting ready to quit so I headed toward my truck and on the way I decided to make a cpl passes of areas I already hunted. Well to my surprise in less than 50' and two passes 4' wide I picked up 85 cents and that got me to think that maybe I should grid it and cover the area again. I will admit when I swing there is a good chance I miss an area 6" or so between swings as I move forward but in the past when I tried gridding all I did was wear myself out and found very little or nothing. 

Since this park is such a producer I am thinking when I finish the last 3rd of the park maybe I should go back and start over covering the park in a horizontal search  of what I been hunting. I am also wondering since I turned up the sensitivity yesterday if that's the reason I should go back over what I have hunted. I got the sensitivity turned up to 25 with no chatter or interference's. 

I been using park 1 and other than turning up the sensitivity I am in factory pre set. I have hit few bottle caps and I know  colt 44 rings up but Bush beer don't. Tokens been ringing up 31 & 32 but I recognize them after digging a few. 

The separation between trash and good signals is beyond by belief. Three times this morning I hit signals that went from 23 - 30 and I kept swinging to see which signal want the most prominent and when I dug I got a quarter, dime and penny. One time 2 quarters and a penny. Also in the holes I found rusty nails and a lead sinker. 

I may not be right on the amount of clad I have dug because I haven't counted it exactly but I know I have a pile of clad not counting pennies of $93 and about $35 of it is E-Trac finds. 

Maybe someone can answer this. Often times when I pin point for say a quarter that's ringing up at 29 when I start to pin point the detector shows 13 while I am pin pointing. It don't bother me because I am listening for tone but always wonder why the detector don't show 29 when I am pin pointing a 29. 

All I can really say is I am one happy detecting dude with the 800. My E-Trac may go to rust unless I find a good reason to use it for anything other than back up. 

One last thing. I have charged it twice and get almost exactly 12 hours per charge. When the battery is almost dead the 800 with shut off on it's own. 
I do think that Minelab should halt production of the 800 so others don't get one and that would reduce the competition. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Wow, I can't imagine getting that much clad! I got 25 coins this morning in about 1 1\2 hrs. Including a standing liberty quarter and a buffalo nickel and was super happy about that. I do agree the separation is incredible!

The good thing about clad sites is that they typically replenish.  Been hitting a local sports field for the last year and a half and have pulled $50+ in clad and some silver jewelry out of it.  The fresh drops are practically all that remain, but they are productive.  Just had my first session finding two separate multi quarter spills with the Equinox.  Always fun to find those...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norm S said:

Maybe someone can answer this. Often times when I pin point for say a quarter that's ringing up at 29 when I start to pin point the detector shows 13 while I am pin pointing. It don't bother me because I am listening for tone but always wonder why the detector don't show 29 when I am pin pointing a 29. 

Not sure if this is the reason Norm, but the Equinox doesn't ID in pinpoint mode.  So it basically just "freezes" the last ID that registered on the screen when you pop it into pinpoint.  I usually get an odd number like that when I am in pinpoint because I pull the coil to the side, then hit pinpoint, then sweep back across the target I want to pinpoint.  If there is another target/id off to the side, that is the ID that remains on the screen while I'm doing my pinpointing.  

Hope that helps,Tim

Tifaaft that is how I pin point too. I pull the coil to the side as well. I thought that maybe the last thing the coil picked up is the ID I see when pin pointing but wasn't sure. 

• 2 years later...

Norm, I use 4 wire marking flags to make a 10x10 square. Just keep moving 2 corner flags to maintain the next box. I find alot of missed stuff that way.