10 hours ago, strick said:

How about the back yard? did you try the back yard area? 

strick

Strick, I hit every area at least twice.  The dirt next to the gravel driveway is where the wheats were hiding so I spent most of my time there.  I did find the old shoe buckle in what was the backyard. You couldn't cherry-pick by depth either, since it seemed to have been all pushed around by the bulldozer.  The oldest wheatie was actually laying right on top of the ground!  And then there were tons of 1 or 2 square inch white pieces of what looked like aluminum siding that rang up between 23 and 30 and nearly drove me nuts.

Gary, I probably qualify as a local since I grew up in this area.  I think that permission was probably just a one-time thing and I was at the right place/right time, like you said.  I really don't see the owners letting lots more people detect it, since I didn't find much.  I could be wrong, though. 

I think we're going to the Civil War site tomorrow, still waiting for the owner to call me back.  I'm taking the 800, of course,  and the Infinium as a back up.  The dirt here is not heavily mineralized,  but if the 800 isn't finding anything I'll try the PI machine.  I think I'll start out in Field 1, 50 tones, all metal, with the sensitivity as high as I can get it, threshold up where I can hear it, and the recovery speed on about 3 or 4, since I don't believe this will be a target-dense location.  I'll be digging everything except probably big iron.

Ya'll please wish me luck!

Ammie

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MontAmmie said:

...It seemed to have been all pushed around by the bulldozer.  The oldest wheatie was actually laying right on top of the ground!  And then there were tons of 1 or 2 square inch white pieces of what looked like aluminum siding that rang up between 23 and 30 and nearly drove me nuts.

Yep, it's too bad you couldn't have searched this site before they brought the house down, backfilled, and reworked the yard.  I was lucky last year that I got into a site where the only thing backfilled was the house's footprint.  We take what we can get, though.  Four Wheat's are..., well..., better than four Zincolns.  Did you check the dates+MM's?

Good fortune at the CW site.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Yep, it's too bad you couldn't have searched this site before they brought the house down, backfilled, and reworked the yard.  I was lucky last year that I got into a site where the only thing backfilled was the house's footprint.  We take what we can get, though.  Four Wheat's are..., well..., better than four Zincolns.  Did you check the dates+MM's?

Good fortune at the CW site.

Yeah, GB, I checked them.  Nothing special, so I gave 'em to a friend of my dad's who collects them.  I kept the Cougar Whiskey token, it seems to be a fairly nice one. Thanks for the good wishes.  There will, of course, be a long, full, probably boring, term paper on the whole experience. ?

20180506_162435.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Ammie… demolition sites are a tough proposition for the reasons you described, the elevated trash levels masking good targets and no doubt some desirable targets were buried beyond detection depth. Moreover, the soil movement (disturbed soil conditions), plays havoc with target ID on coins deeper than roughly four inches depth in our soils, and we keep that in mind when detecting urban renewal projects. 

Searching in such difficult conditions, those wheaties could just as easily have been silver and obviously had to be dug. The Whiskey Good Luck token is an unusual and interesting find, a keeper. For a first time visit, I think you did as well as could be reasonably expected, especially considering your limited time on site. 

As you continue traveling to new areas, if at all possible (and I realize that it is easier said than done when you’re on the road) keep an eye out for old schools and ballparks, and especially the old picnic groves. (Any sign indicating “something Grove” is liable to be a picnic grove of long standing with the local community). These are great places to find older silver coins, tokens, and occasional jewelry items without having to deal with excessive junk. 

Incidentally, I don’t know for sure, but that the CSA belt buckle you posted above would probably read somewhere in the copper penny / silver target ID range. When relic hunting that three-acre property adjacent to the civil war site, it is also possible that a very deeply buried buckle might produce a questionable target ID signal. Target ID will depend on just how deep it is, the soil moisture and mineralization present, and the buckle profile presented to the coil… something to keep in mind when detecting deeper, but reasonably well defined target signals that are indicative of non-ferrous targets despite a possible iron target ID. 

Thanks for keeping us updated Ammie, and again for those illustrative photos, it’s been fun reading about your travel / detecting adventures. Good luck if you get to detect that civil war site tomorrow!!! :cool:

Jim.

• Like 3

Hi Ya'll!

Well, I didn't get a plate or even a button at the Civil War site. ?   It was a beautiful place to dig,  but I think it was just too far from the actual battlefield (pic 1).  What I did get was some assorted lead (pic 2) and what I think is a copper percussion cap (pic 3).  I know? some of this is not Civil War era, like the cone-shaped bullets, at least according to my dad.  I think some of it is Civil War lead like the small lead round balls?, some of which look like they hit something, sorry about the Tennessee clay still on them (pic 4).  I have no idea what the tiny little fuse-looking things are (pic 5), but they look old, I think they are lead, and they were found in the same area as the round lead balls. I was amazed that my 800 could pick these tiny little things out of the iron trash in that area. I used Field 1, all metal, sens 23, rec speed 5, everything else default.  Most of the lead was down 3-4 inches ?, which had me scratching my head and thinking there was no way any of it could possibly be that old, UNTIL the owner told me I was digging in the area where he dumped dirt from excavating the small pond.  OK, that made more sense!  Even though I didn't find much, I still had fun digging it (pic 6).   So if anyone knows anything about this Civil War stuff, enlighten me please!  I know what a 3 ringer looks like, since that is about all I have ever dug, but as for the rest, I'm clueless.  I'm fairly confident that all of this is Confederate, if it is old, since there were supposedly no US troops in this area.  Thanks a bunch and I'm looking forward to any identification help you guys would be kind enough to provide.

Happy Hunting!

Ammie

CW 6.jpg

CW 4.jpg

CW3.jpg

CW 1.jpg

CW7.jpg

CW5.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ammie… well you didn’t find a plate or button, but still... you did find some nice relics, even I can recognize those three-ringers, definitely keepers. The copper percussion cap is a real nice find too. Can’t help you with identification, hopefully someone else will do so.

I think your readers will agree that we admire your enthusiasm and willingness to get into the field and give it the old college try. I think you've done very well. Thanks for the excellent photos, and for this latest update to your detecting adventures. 

WTG :smile:

Jim.

• Like 1

Hi Ya'll!

We're leaving Obion County tomorrow and going to Louisville, KY.  My baby girl's getting her Master's Degree on Friday!  Then we're finally heading west.  The Polaris and the 800 can't wait.  Check out my throne on the back.  ?

20180430_163615.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

We're leaving Obion County tomorrow and going to Louisville, KY.

Good news about Louisville:  been there since the 18th Century.  Bad news:  md'ing in city parks is forbidden.  ?

Enjoy the graduation.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good news about Louisville:  been there since the 18th Century.  Bad news:  md'ing in city parks is forbidden.  ?

Enjoy the graduation.

No time to metal detect with all the family festivities anyway.  Our hobby is going to be outlawed in every city park in a few years. ☹️

• Like 2

On 17 May 2018 at 11:25 PM, MontAmmie said:

No time to metal detect with all the family festivities anyway.  Our hobby is going to be outlawed in every city park in a few years. ☹️

Great to follow your adventure and we did the same thing 11 years ago and are still RVing full time . Here in Australia we have a lot of younger people out detecting with no respect for private property . They are going in on school grounds which have signs of no entry and onto church ground and they are private property . It is everywhere here so I think it is going to cause  our hobby a lot of harm . Keep enjoying your travels

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By CPT_GhostLight
      Last Sunday I got a call from my detecting buddy. He's a member of the same detecting club I'm in and known as the guy you call to find lost rings. He said he got a call from a lady who lost her wedding ring somewhere on her property between the house and her chicken coop and wanted to know if I wanted to help him search for it. I said sure!
      I had only done that one time a few weeks before when we were detecting in a park and a parks supervisor came up to him. He thought we were in trouble and promptly started showing the supervisor how we take great care closing our holes, but the supervisor said he didn't care about that. He said he had gotten a call from a lady who had lost her wedding ring a week before at a playground and he wanted to know if we would look for it, which we promptly did. Unfortunately we didn't find that ring.
      So we headed out to the mountain property and met the lady and she showed us where she thought she had lost her ring the day before. I thought it must be laying on the ground in plain sight somewhere and this should be easy. Then I saw the chicken coop. Oh boy. I hit inside and outside the coop while my buddy took the trail from the house to the coop. The chickens were pretty well behaved except the rooster who kept giving me the stink-eye. I had a feeling he was just waiting for me to turn my back on him. 
      We covered the 200x30 foot area pretty well for several hours, double checking each others search areas. We were about ready to throw in the towl when my partner decided to check the wooden walkway between the house and the garage. There were openings between the slats that the ring could have dropped into so the home owners offered to pull a few slats up to allow the detector access underneath. While they were ripping up the floorboards, I decided to wander back down the path toward the chicken coop to check any areas I may have missed. As I neared the door to the coop a garden hose caught my eye about 25-30 feet down hill from the path. I was going to sweep that area earlier after finishing the coop area, but the owner said she hadn't been down there so not to bother with that area. For some reason the hose intrigued me so I started searching down the hill from the path. When I reached the hose I was picking up the brass fitting with loud and clear 25 on the Nox but also with a lower fainter tone mixed in. I pushed the hose fitting back a bit and got a solid 7 from multiple angles. I couldn't see anything on the ground, so I pulled my pinpointer thinking it was probably foil of some kind while gently scraping away the pine needles and a little dirt and there it was, the ring! A beautiful Platinum wedding set with a 1 ct. center stone surrounded with 2 baggettes and 6 smaller diamonds.  I yelled out, "Bingo!" and the owner and her husband ran down the hill. They were overjoyed and so was I. My first ring recovery! They offered a reward but we politely refused so they insisted that we take a donation for the Metal Detecting Club, for which we were very appreciative. What a day that was!

• By Cal_Cobra
      Tom_in_CA and I have been itching to get out detecting! We decided to hit some of our old "back pocket" sites and check out a couple of new sites as well.

Reales, several Phoenix Buttons, flat buttons, some nice pre Civil War eagle buttons, seateds, relics, and the usual suspects were found this trip!
      https://youtu.be/pHhVseSHWac
    • By kac
      Hit the beach yesterday and noticed a bunch of large vertabrae then found some dentures. Vertabrae seem human size but could be from a large animal. One the local residents said they would call it in and let the authorities figure it out. Also found 1 wheatie and 80 cents in clad!

• By mn90403
      The waves have been small but the tide went out far so I had to have a detect and get my fix.  Well ... surprise, surprise ... something I could never imagine.  It will be my most unusual find of the month at our metal detecting club meeting.

In case you can't read it it says:
              ADVERTISING CLUB
                  OF NEW YORK
      ANDY AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
    • By abenson
      Last week I spent the whole week in Virginia at the Diggin in Virginia Event. DIV 50 was spread over 4 different farms which comprised of thousands of acres. 5 days 10 hours a day metal detecting, what a dream. I don't attend too many metal detecting events, it's just not me. But DIV is different and offers sites you just can't get on otherwise. Now although some of these farms have been hit by DIV upwards of 10 times, they are still giving up relics. Most of the DIV digs take place in Culpeper County Virginia and is known for it's very hot dirt. VLF detectors struggle in this environment so a PI like the GPX, TDI or ATX are preferred. But you always get the person that can't afford or is unwilling to spend the money to rent or buy a PI and will take a go at it with a VLF. DIV 50 was no exception. I saw many people metal detecting with VLF's I even had a gent check a target for me in the woods that was using a White 6000 DI. I had just dug part of a Shako hat pin and got another signal under a tree root and couldn't tell if it was big iron or big brass (the rest of the hat pin) so had him check it for me, it turned out to be iron. So VLF's will do ok in the woods or in thick iron patches, but out in the fields it's GPX all the way. Right tool for the right job, so come prepared. I always take the GPX and either the Deus or Equinox as backup. If you decide to go, make sure you know your metal detector well. We talked to a group that all had GPX's and didn't find a single relic. They spent their time digging nails. It doesn't matter if you have the best metal detector in the world, if you don't know how to use it, chances are you aren't going to find good stuff. That goes for VLF detectors as well. If you know your machine you can find stuff in the hot Culpeper dirt. Knowing your machine and how to make changes for the soil can mean the difference between success and failure.
      On this particular DIV, it being 50, some of us figured it may be the last. So my group decided to concentrate on the fields where we knew the Confederates camped prior to the Union Army moving in for the Winter of 1863-64. Other than going to a Union Camp for a day where you have a chance at digging some nice bottles of finding a whole Shako hat pin. We spent our time on a strip of land that boarders a creek where the Confederates camped. On day 2 we went to a part of the farm we hunted last Fall and was finding Gardner, ring tail sharps and 69 caliber round balls. These are all considered bullets used by the Confederates. the camp was located on a hillside that sloped toward a wash that ran into the creek. Last year I hunted that wash and was finding numerous 69 caliber round balls in and amongst the modern fencing and wire pieces. So I decided to hunt my way down the hill towards the bottom of the wash. As I approached the bottom of the wash I started hearing all the wire signals on my GPX and slowed down to investigate each one. I finally got a good solid signal and dug a ring tail sharps. Next signal not more than than 2 feet from the sharps bullet I got a signal that sounded like wire but wouldn't break up so I decided to dig it. When I got down about 12 inches I got my pin pointer out and got a signal in the bottom corner of the hole. I though due to it's orientation in the hole it was most likely a piece of wire. But got my hand digger out anyway to complete the recovery of the target. To my surprise it was a CS tongue, I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would find one. To make things even better I got the excavation of it on video.
      Some other highlights of the trip were finding fuses for artillery shells, artillery shell fragments and one of the other guys in my group found a pewter CS saddle shield which is also a very rare find. I had a great time and have made some good friends at DIV over the years. There are a great bunch of people that put together DIV and an even greater bunch of people that attend them. Some of these people have been attending since the very first one and are willing to share their knowledge with anyone who asks.

• By LuckyLundy
      The Florida Clan wanted to come for a visit and try some of that Arizona Sweet Tea.  Haven’t seen them all in a group for close to 30 years.  But, Robin’s and I trip started on Halloween Day from our home in Reno to Laughlin, NV.  That’s about as far as I can drive in a day!  We cut through Searchlight, NV and passed a couple washes I’d like to revisit.  Next morning we cut out to Wickenburg, AZ for a visit with Friends that just moved there a few months back.  Mike & Yvonne formally from Rural Oregon made the move to Wickenburg for the love of Team Roping and the Hunt for gold.  Didn’t take Mike long to find a Welcome to Arizona Patch which currently is close to a 2-oz patch! (Below in my hand are the fat ones).  Mike took me when we arrived to their home for a short swing!  It was a hill side small drainage wash that feed into the big wash.  I explored the patch and several nearby spots in the Reno Summer like temperature of 87 degrees.  I was roasting when I noticed a Cholla stuck to my Boot which I removed with 2 rocks with a dozen or more of its spears stuck deep into the leather!  Well 1/4 mile more and they worked their way thru the leather and now poking my foot!  We had to leave with no tools to remove needles.  Well off to my Folks and a week of fun with my Family traveling the sights from the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Tombstone.  Heading back we stopped at Mike & Yvonne’s again for a longer hunt and then hit the local Rodeo grounds for dinner and some cold beers.   Again, it was more than warm for this Northern Nevada guy.  We seen some likely hills with some colors we liked.  I was 3 gullies over (1/2 mile). I just worked up the side hill wash to the top of the hill and swung over to the next wash to work down it and repeat.  I heard Mike say, hey the old timers worked this one!  Sure enough old dry wash piles.  I was up at the head of the wash and he was midway swing up.  I pulled a dink nugget out and then Mike got on a string of nuggets.  Sure there was some trash, but there’s 9 little nuggets the old timers left us!  We know there is more to find at this spot, but water was getting real low and cold beer was at the Rodeo Grounds.  Off we went leaving the new patch to catch it’s breath after a 30 minute beating.  There’s still plenty of ground to explore in this old placer area(s) of Morristown!  What a great Vacation and yes, we are home to nice and cool Reno 😂. Until the Next Hunt
      LuckyLundy