Garrett ATX Guts, Possible Dry Land Modification

Guest Paul (Ca)

Ok Paul...

I was digging through the parts bin of junked detectors last night and the old big box Whites were about perfect...

But if you have a metal brake you can bend out your own pretty simple...and heck you dont need any holes for the knobs...

I enjoy modding myself at times...to me finding the battery box's is the biggest challenge...

But yes bend out a box and swipe the door and battery tray and channel slide system off a junked classic 2 or somehting and mod it into the hand bent box and SWEET!!

One thing that really grabbed my attention in a modding way on the Nokta boxes was the way the endcaps held the sheetmetal sides...When I opened one up for a headphone jack swap all kinds of things ran through my mind LOL!!!

Also the Battery box is 12 volt recharge.. High Quality Lipo...and it hip mount's and connecte's through a microphone coiled cable type system and mic jack...I sort of liked that..

Even the circuit board was held secure inside by a channel system... very unique Box... Well really all you need is the end cap and rails for top and bottm and cut out the 1/8 aluminum sheet metal to fit...

I hear you on the falling over Steve...they are quite tall..

Whites does have the best stability of about any machine...

Hey paul When I modded My Explorer to the S-Pole I wish I could got hold of one of those Deeptech battery boxes...that was my only piece of the mod i had to scrimp on...I actually had a 1266 battery box in the bin and sold it right before I did the explorer...Man I could of Kicked myslef !!!!

Keith

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Keith for the housing tips,  Sounds like we're on the same page good to see others with outside the box type of vision.

With the land version ATX housing, Going with two different housing chopping up a portion off one then connecting it to the thinner stream lined housing.  you guys are going to like it, The front portion of the hosing will have a built in hump elevating the front portion of the detector off the ground will look really cool when it completed. 

Steve,  Here's something you may want to consider for your ATX land version mod and this housing fits perfect, It's the older Whites TR housing the longer version type and is perfect.  After gutting out the box reverse the housing so the holes are on the bottom repaint the box & slap on home made decals and you're good to go after mounting the Tee handle with the push pad above the handle you're set.

Housings are not really an issue, With what's available out there skies the limit.

You two take care,

Paul (Ca)

post-1-0-78513600-1416780244_thumb.jpg