4x4 Vans For Prospecting

tvanwho

I am waiting for the 2015 Mercedes/ Dodge Sprinter 4x4 van with 6 cylinder diesel engine and low range transfer case myself, can't justify megadollar metal detectors anymore with retirement just around the corner. Am sure the van won't be cheap either especially if converted to a 4x4 camper van...No real details on the van, ,just test drives for reporters at their distribution center  in South Carolina. Has anybody else got more info on the van? Seems like it would be the ultimate gold prospectors camper van...

-T

I am waiting for the 2015 Mercedes/ Dodge Sprinter 4x4 van with 6 cylinder diesel engine and low range transfer case myself, can't justify megadollar metal detectors anymore with retirement just around the corner. Am sure the van won't be cheap either especially if converted to a 4x4 camper van...No real details on the van, ,just test drives for reporters at their distribution center  in South Carolina. Has anybody else got more info on the van? Seems like it would be the ultimate gold prospectors camper van...

-T

I just checked out the Sprinter 4x4 vans. Cargo model is $49,900 Passenger model is $57, 300.

Gold fever is making me want to drive long distances now a days.  I have bought used since 1987. Mostly diesel trucks with under 50K miles on them. And I have not been disappointed.  I usually retire my work trucks into pleasure trucks. Recently I was looking for another truck as my pleasure truck (a retired work truck) had over 300K miles.  Used trucks (2 years old) in the class that I was looking for ran in the mid to high 40K range. And most of them were at dealers out state. I could buy new close to home for 52K and get exactly what I wanted so that's what I did. Back in the 80"s you could get a diesel 4x4 truck in the high 20's...seems its about double now.  Bottom line with trucks is similar to detectors.....if you want to play you have to pay.

strick

I have thought a 4WD van would make a nice compromise for prospecting and camping. For that kind of money though I would probably invest in a small house!

Another sign of getting old I guess. I just can't believe what new vehicles cost.

agree, I have felt that way for a many number of years, it's a shame that a good new vehicle now cost as much as a small home, I have never bought a new vehicle, if it isn't at least 3 to 4 years old and has depreciated substantially, I'm not interested.

That being said, I could change my mind if I hit the lottery!!

My standard prospecting rig now for many years is the Toyota 4-Runner. True four wheel drive, narrow, goes about anywhere, 21 mpg, and yes, I sleep in it all the time. The passenger seat can fold back down level with the back seat and with a mattress on top makes a decent bed. I bought my last one used with 50,000 miles on it and drove it ten years, sold in great condition at 170,000 and just got a used 2005 with 70K miles for $17,000 and frankly I thought that was too much money! With any luck it will take me the rest of my serious prospecting years.

I am looking around for a little 16' pull behind though I can park and leave as a base camp.As much as a van and the concept of having it all in one rig appeals to me I think a two piece operation suits me best. I can go light and hardcore when needed, or upgrade to a little luxury if I feel like it. In just the last year I went to too many places there is no way a van would have went, just for being too wide.

But that is me. A van sounds like a great idea Tom, and I am sure it would be for a lot of people. Maybe even me one of these days.

Here is my prospecting ride and daily driver. I needed a way to move all of the dredging equipment and I know other dredgers with flat beds. I love it but probably not ideal for detecting. Last year a friend modified a trailer for my 6 inch do it could be put directly on the back and towed behind a four wheeler. Here is a photo before all of the other equipment is loaded.

post-550-0-99415900-1422726314_thumb.jpg

post-550-0-14221900-1422726375_thumb.jpg

I guess this topic deserved a new thread. Does Steve have a photo of his 4 runner and the sleeping bed setup? I'd like to see that. The 1995 4 runner was the last one with the electric rear window and fold down tailgate if I remember right? I  always wondered how a guy was sposed to get up to the roof rack to stash things without having that tailgate to stand on?

The Sprinter van is a narrow van compared to say the Ford Econoline which is actually no longer being made I understand?

I would go for a used 4x4 rig when the time comes to retire my tiny little 2010 Subaru Forester. I barely have room for a baby dredge and baby highbanker plus camping gear and food but she does get almost 28 mpg highway on a good day,always a tradeoff and is all paid off which is a BIG plus since I lost all my work Overtime a year ago.

What did that little trailer run you Fred? Got any inside photos?