Threshold Adjustment

TripleT

I'm still quite new to metal detecting, only a couple of months so bear with me.  I figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread, since my question is about threshold.

Take the threshold you hear on a sovereign gt:  Is the equinox vdi just a translated version of that into beeps and boops?

I tried using it today in all metal, threshold did not blank when I came across a target.  

Marc

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Simply put, there is no blanking in all metal because nothing is being discriminated in all metal mode.

Only discriminated targets will cause the Threshold to blank. If you go out of all metal, the Threshold will blank over most iron, as well as any non-ferrous targets that you have notched out.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, stevejhgla said:

I'm still quite new to metal detecting, only a couple of months so bear with me.  I figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread, since my question is about threshold.

Take the threshold you hear on a sovereign gt:  Is the equinox vdi just a translated version of that into beeps and boops?

I tried using it today in all metal, threshold did not blank when I came across a target.  

Marc

Sorry I just saw this post. How I missed it????? The threshold on the Equinox is a reference threshold. It is my understanding that the Equinox reference threshold is separate from the target audio/VDI responses unlike some older detectors where the threshold audio and the actual audio target response were the same audio circuit.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The threshold on the Equinox is a reference threshold. It is my understanding that the Equinox reference threshold is separate from the target audio/VDI responses unlike some older detectors where the threshold audio and the actual audio target response were the same audio circuit.

Jeff, would you please elaborate on this distinction?  Particularly what are the implications (e.g. advantages and disadvantages) of each type of threshold.

• Like 2

I am particularly thinking about pulse induction detectors, some Tesoros and some earlier VLFs that had a threshold based all metal mode. I am not an expert on those types of detectors, I just know that there was very little ability for iron discrimination on those PI detectors except for "low, high, low" or "high, low, high" tone sequences and that the threshold tone would momentarily cease and change amplitude over a target. Something similar would happen with VLF threshold based all metal mode detectors too.

On the Equinox, the threshold tone in all search modes: can be used to indicate that the coil is passing over a notched out or discriminated out target by going silent over those targets, it can have its pitch adjusted separately from the target tones, it can have its volume level adjusted separate from the target tones, and it can be turned off or on without having any effect on the intensity of the target tones.

It can also indicate whether the Equinox is becoming unstable due to changing ground conditions while also nulling out on EMI if it is being detected in a numerical ID range that has been discriminated. 

It has to be turned on to do all of these things and some numerical target IDs have to be discriminated.

Some people have reported that while using the Gold modes, the use of the threshold will enhance the ability to detect and hear deeper non-discriminated targets. I don't have any in the field proof of that. If a little bit of discrimination is being used in high mineralization, deeper gold, brass and lead targets that are having their numerical target IDs pulled down into the iron range by mineralization could be detected due to this nulling. 

• Like 2

I did some testing recently and actually did notice that the use of some threshold in the Gold modes will boost the volume of faint signals. Even when the threshold is set on 3 or 4, which for me is inaudible, small mineralization masked gold and lead targets are easier to hear. With the threshold set on 8 or so, which is where I like it since for me, it is only barely audible, those same targets are much easier to hear. I learned something new about the Equinox thanks to this great topic!!!!

The use of the threshold in Park, Field and Beach did not boost the same faint signals however, so I won't get too excited.........

• Like 4

Setting .. the height of the threshold value depends to a certain extent on the mineralization of the terrain ... which means that on less mineralized terrain you can increase the level of the threshold more .. and this level will still be acceptable for detection ...

my favorite treshold setting is normally somewhere between 4-8 ... and I give a maximum of 10 ...

• Like 3

On 12/27/2020 at 3:34 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I did some testing recently and actually did notice that the use of some threshold in the Gold modes will boost the volume of faint signals. Even when the threshold is set on 3 or 4, which for me is inaudible, small mineralization masked gold and lead targets are easier to hear. With the threshold set on 8 or so, which is where I like it since for me, it is only barely audible, those same targets are much easier to hear. I learned something new about the Equinox thanks to this great topic!!!!

The use of the threshold in Park, Field and Beach did not boost the same faint signals however, so I won't get too excited.........

Unless I am missing something, sounds like you simply rediscovered this (from earlier in this thread when it was started in 2018) that Steve extracted direct from the manual:

Glad you verified, with certainty, what ML was saying regarding threshold enhancing weak target signals.  I always wondered about it, but use gold mode primarily as a psuedo all metal relic mode rather than for small gold searching so have not really explored the usefulness of gold mode's true threshold feature.

• Like 1

I did not remember seeing any reference to this different use of the Gold mode threshold in the original manual. Maybe it was there all of the time. It is definitely in the latest manual for sure. I also can vaguely remember testing for this audio boost using even low threshold settings in the Gold modes back in the distant past before Covid 19 but I don't remember hearing the major difference or any difference like I do now....................

• Like 1