I Guess I‘m In.. Kind Of Logbook

Not sure, if I understood the question right - we have a law which regulates what to do with found things, who remains the owner and so forth..

If you find an item worth more than 10€, you have to bring it to the lost and found office.. if nobody fetches it within 6 months, you can pick it up within a 3-4 week time frame. If you miss that time frame, the item gets sold and the government gets the refund.

The silver rings don't really worth much, so I don't bring them to the office :wink:

You know exactly what I mean lol.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, I'm just saying for consistency sake shouldn't you turn them all in?, after of course they are appraised to be over 10 euro lololol.

I'm just having fun but human nature is funny isn't it?

Don't go out looking specifically for new stuff and your conscience should remain clear. ?

I think this whole law is pretty stupid... It's too complicated for me to explain what I mean in a foreign language.. but - would you drive 40km to bring a 10€ banknote to the lost and found office? You even have to bring it to the office where you found it. So if I found a ring 100km from home in the middle of the night.. should I drive to that office 200km next day?

None of my silvers did worth more than 10€ material-wise, so I don't bother, anyway :biggrin:

If I found a nice silver weddingband, I'd probably turned it in, but as long as there's no name on it, or it's corroded to death... nahhh..

• Like 1

First day on the field with our mentor tomorrow - no clue which settings to use - it‘s going to be an interesting day :ph34r:

5 hours on the field today. Mostly theoretical stuff: How to identify, if you can expect human activity, how old  keramics look like, how stones used as tools look like and so on. How to grid the field, take notes, identify archeological worthy finds, note Gps positions. 

We‘ve grided out an area and markted dig-worthy signals, checked them with every detector and digged them together.

Afterwards we had half an hour freestyle hunt. I‘ve found an old bronze flat button, one lead seal and a coin of some sort. The others didn‘t find anything:cool:

D484A40C-E600-45C6-BF5E-2F4B76886BE6_zps

Used Field2 first, but I really have to tweak that.. changed to my trusty beach program. We haven‘t used headphones for educational reasons - I‘m really not used to run the speaker and I had to raise my iron volume to notice trash.

All in all a very interesting day!

• Like 6

Jeez.. I've striked a 14k goldring again:

FE6E8157-7C20-4AFE-AF91-4E677418B904_zps

7AD34515-496B-461C-A788-2646F03D96F6_zps

EE565EF2-C76D-4719-98A8-78D998D56BE9_zps

This thing is so thin, it doesn't even weight 1g! Yet, it has got a very little stone in it. It came in at ID 2 - I still wonder, what made me dig it:ph34r:

It was a short hunt on my hunted out local beach. Found some crusty clad, too:

B8F5F4F9-3B4C-4003-84C5-E21278D3AEE4_zps

And one badge, probably a pilot's badge from WWII, but in bad condition.

• Like 6

Did you find the targets with beach?  Beach is so compromised on normal and especially mineralized ground because of salt compensation and Beach 2 transmit power   rollback. I would never think of using beach modes other than on the beach, especially with their high iron bias settings.

You really need to tweak field 2 to your liking as it will hit mid-conductive targets like the button and lead seal harder.  But hey you did well nevertheless.  Just goes to show you that experience and familiarity trump tools and settings.

In other words, an experienced detectorist familiar with a less capable machine will always have the advantage over an inexperienced detectorist with the best machine money can buy.  Once you get used to Field 2 you will have more success than beach mode.

• Like 1