I Guess I‘m In.. Kind Of Logbook

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I've dug countless bottletops the last two weeks .. some of them have a pretty stable ID and while I know the "tricks" to recognize them, it always wastes plenty of my time! I have beaches with 5 false bleeps per swing in certain spots.. that's no fun at all. My fisher is completely silent if I discrim iron only.

Why not just ditch the Equinox and go back to using the Fisher then?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Why not just ditch the Equinox and go back to using the Fisher then?

It's an entry level machine (great one imho by the way) .. no wireless, too small coil for me, audio pitch control, adjustable tonebrake and so on...

I do love the nox for it's features, it has pretty much everything I've been missing so far.

But:

I've thought it'll do at least as good as a detector, which is less than 1/4 the price in terms of something "simple" as bottlecaps.

It took me 1 1/2 years to get the money together to buy this machine (retails for ~ 1150$ over here) + 7 month waiting for delivery .. I guess I am simply disappointed with its discrim capabilities. Even an analog 100€ detector does better.. seriously.

Maybe the european market is just too small.. I don't know - see 2€ coin problem .. I can live with that one, cause I'll dig 15-16 signals anyway..Hm, they should have given me a testmachine :happy: just kidding..

How ever .. as I love the other features, I am searching for answers and solutions to make the machine work better in such conditions - if possible.

5 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Even an analog 100€ detector does better.. seriously.

Maybe I'm just having the wrong point of view and the nox is the only machine which "sees" no non ferrous components of the bottlecaps :blink: .. I've dug many of them with the Teknetics T2, too.. I think it has something to do with the coils.

Find of the day on the beach:

26FDC136-B313-47AF-81E5-014BF82FE71A_zps

You will dig more bottle caps with the Nox for sure but it's the speed that makes up for it. If you dont like digging  bottle caps the CTX will completely ignore them. Choose the right machine for the environment you target. 

strick

Here's the roundup after ~4 weeks noxin':

E7B72079-6864-4903-95EE-512E34C5BEE1_zps

51€ clad ~ 60$

42137952-A030-439A-9155-4827E4A38DED_zps

> 28DM old-school clad and two foreign coins.

65DC5483-D1D2-4DB9-94A1-7335C0D224F8_zps

15 pcs very old clad (one missing on the photo). Oldest: 1905

7A10B008-56D0-4422-B502-A68AF2DAE6C5_zps

3x silver and some junk jewelry

C3559DD0-8758-41B3-8717-CF09A430DA3B_zps

At least one bucket full of trash...

All in all not too bad for my beaches. The season didn't even start.

Here's an example of what I have to deal with on some of my beaches:

Problems so far:

Loose lower rod. Grip shows some signs of wear on the rubber. Bottletops + IDs for Euro clad are sub-optimal.

• Like 1

Sell the Nox while the demand is high. Get a CTX or perhaps the Kruzer. The Kruzer would probably be a in line money wise from the Nox sale.

Dean

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

28DM old-school clad

Are you able to cash in or convert those obsolete coins to modern Euros?

IMO the 'score' really comes down to what you are looking for.  Modern coins have their own nemeses, but so do collectible coins.  (I see aluminum drink can lids in your junk bucket.  Those fool me, too.)  Jewelry and native gold -- ditto.  The Eqx does seem to pack a lot of targets into the 12-13 region (nickels here in the US but apparently modern Euros over on your continent), but are there tricks to maximize the reward vs. the risk?  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you able to cash in or convert those obsolete coins to modern Euros?

Afaik it is still possible, not sure which condition they must be in - never tried it though.

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The Eqx does seem to pack a lot of targets into the 12-13 region

Foil seems to have a pretty wide range. 1-11 most of the time, but I had some ring at 21. Old german coins range from 11-17, so does Gold, pulltabs, Euro coins, bottletops and so on..  19-22 are Euro coins most of the time, but I've also dug small small aluminium lids, silver, lead and copper in that range. The bigger aluminium lids are in the 24-25 range, but so are brass nuts and peaces of copper for example. Yesterday I had a smashing 33-35 signal and instantly thought: Silver - but it was i big chunk of molten aluminium. To me it looks like the size of the target also changes the ID by a good amount and I am not used to that.

Imho the ID system is not very usefull - at least for beach-hunting over here. You can't really predict targets or even the type of metal. On the beach digging many targets may not be an issue - but if I would have to dig every nice signal in a park .. holy cow

Sometimes the numbers are not as stable as advertised, but are accurate on very deep targets - I'll give it that - and the nox is a very deep machine. 90% of my finds seemed to be things, others have missed.

10 hours ago, bado1 said:

Sell the Nox while the demand is high. Get a CTX or perhaps the Kruzer.

The CTX is way too heavy for me. If they'd come out with a CTX with the speed and weight of the nox, that would probably be my machine!

At the moment I only have the permission to detect on beaches. Everything is pretty restricted over here, still waiting for my course to detect fields (been waiting nearly 3 years now!) - woods are absolut taboo in northern germany.

Second problem:

There's no shop nearby where I can get my hands on some detectors to try out and I don't have the money to buy and sell detectors untill I got the right one. I will probably keep the nox, because it has many features I do like a lot. But the lesson I've learned is, that I'll not pre-order an unseen/tested machine again anytime soon..

Today I've installed some Wilson Pro Sensation overgrip tape on my nox. It's super thin and feels super comfy. I think it'll probably won't hold up very long, time will tell. I'll try to wear no gloves on the swinging hand (finally warm enough :happy: )

B7FC4144-AFFC-4938-8097-F36F919F3821_zps

Some trash analysis... and the winner is...

4160637A-02DF-4CE2-9E0B-7E0A5C28D56F_zps

... bottletops! OMFG :wacko:

Afterthoughts:

25°C tomorrow - hopefully some people get themselves  on the beach :biggrin: .. Watertemperature 10°C :blink: .. waiting for the season to come..

• Like 1

Believe me you are not alone..The Nox has plus and minuses like any other detector. Bottle caps have been discussed in detail. They can be avoided for the most part with a little detective work but you will still dig some here and there and that cant be avoided. Do a search on this site for more info on bottle caps and the Nox

strick