Radio Shack Mini Speaker On The SDC 2300

~LARGO~

Hi all,

I have been thinking about the directionally challenged speaker on the SDC 2300.  Yes, I tried the mini speakers, but that is a story you don't want to hear, as it deals more with principles, and less with utility...

Here I am wondering if there is a way I can utilize some of the box full of gear I have bought in the past 25 or so years?  There must be a way.

I dug around and found a little Radio Shack Mini Speaker, that I had used on my Whites Goldmasters.  I also have a Depth Master, as well as a Barrie Johnson Nuggett Finder Signal Enhancer, MKIII (Yes, that is the way Nuggett is spelled on the label...lol)  I am pretty sure I can strap that thing on, using some gender benders...yeah, there is such a thing...  So I do have a pretty good supply of "stuff" to toy with. 

I know Digger Bob was a fan of the Radio Shack Mini Speaker, but I don't know if he has tried an SCD 2300 yet...  So if it's good enough for Digger, it will be good enough for me, depending on if I can make it work on the 2300. 

Here is a link to it...http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-mini-audio-amplifier/2771008.html#.VNEQ1mfwugw

I know the dealers will hate me for this, if it works!

Give me some feedback if you have tried a Radio Shack Mini Speaker, or at least some thoughts on how well you think it might work...

Thanks,

Gary/Largo

I guess the main problem you would have is connecting the speaker to the weird headphone port on the SDC 2300. Or do you have the adapter? Or do you mean to open the box and change the actual speakers inside?

Ooo! I just became silver!

Yep, used one of those for years on my old 2100.  It's an amp as well as a speaker.  But then Coiltek came out with one that was better suited and have used that ever since.  I still have one of those Radio Shack speakers, brand new in the package.  I was afraid they would discontinue them so I bought two.

• Like 1

Hi all,

RE Digger:  I did the same thing, bought extra..."just in case"  the new ones don't have the nice "s" clamp on the back, so that needs to be dealt with. If you can, let us know what you did to manage this...

I do have the adapter cable, that is almost a "must have" unless the stock headphones work for your situations.  I normally use Detector Pro Black Widows headphones, or Jimmy Sierra Maxi-Phone II, which are made by Detector Pro.  Those headphones are very well made, have a good warranty, and are rebuildable by Gary Storm.  They do seal out outside wind sound quite well, which is so important in the North Nevada area where wind is pretty much a constant.

For the RS Mini-speaker, I intend to make a mount of lexan, which is my go to plastic, as it is so durable, and won't crack for any reason, as Plexiglas will, guaranteed...

I do like the price of the RS Mini-speaker, as with everything, they have gone up a bit in price over the years.  You may have to buy a 1/8"male to 18"male electrical cord/cable, as well as a 1/4" male to 1/8" female plug adapter to make it all happen, but I have found I have a most of that stuff left over from other projects.  I have all of this with stereo plugs, but not sure if that is necessary, but I'll let someone else chime in on that.  I did this, as my headphones are all stereo: 2 bands on the male plugs.

One other thing I noted in a photo from "Prospecting in Australia" forum, the SDC shown appears to have some tennis handle wrap on it to make the detector handle a bit larger to grip, while also making the grip a little softer in the "feel" department...

Give me more thoughts on the matter, it is fun trying to make our detectors "our own"...

Have a good day!

Gary/Largo

gary,

I had a picture up on this forum or robs with my 2300 using a radio shack speaker....it was functional.

little weird sounding somtimes, but functional...

got the smallest piece ever with it and it was plenty loud for my deaf ears...

the rig I put on also is a mount for my bungee cord....it pulls the toe of the coil up and out front...

post-420-0-40577500-1423036616_thumb.jpg

After looking at my setup...I am going to take this rig off and see if it is the cause of the incessant warble I get.

Maybe that speaker and aluminum are being picked up by the coil....

All I have to do us cut loose the rubber tape and try it.....so no grief there.

Will report back later...paul