Radio Shack Mini Speaker On The SDC 2300

Hi all,

I have been thinking about the directionally challenged speaker on the SDC 2300.  Yes, I tried the mini speakers, but that is a story you don't want to hear, as it deals more with principles, and less with utility...

Here I am wondering if there is a way I can utilize some of the box full of gear I have bought in the past 25 or so years?  There must be a way.

I dug around and found a little Radio Shack Mini Speaker, that I had used on my Whites Goldmasters.  I also have a Depth Master, as well as a Barrie Johnson Nuggett Finder Signal Enhancer, MKIII (Yes, that is the way Nuggett is spelled on the label...lol)  I am pretty sure I can strap that thing on, using some gender benders...yeah, there is such a thing...  So I do have a pretty good supply of "stuff" to toy with. 

I know Digger Bob was a fan of the Radio Shack Mini Speaker, but I don't know if he has tried an SCD 2300 yet...  So if it's good enough for Digger, it will be good enough for me, depending on if I can make it work on the 2300. 

Here is a link to it...http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-mini-audio-amplifier/2771008.html#.VNEQ1mfwugw

I know the dealers will hate me for this, if it works!

Give me some feedback if you have tried a Radio Shack Mini Speaker, or at least some thoughts on how well you think it might work...

Thanks,

Gary/Largo

Gary I used the radio shack amp on an old SD2000 and it worked just fine.

• Like 1

I guess the main problem you would have is connecting the speaker to the weird headphone port on the SDC 2300. Or do you have the adapter? Or do you mean to open the box and change the actual speakers inside?

Ooo! I just became silver!

i used those on several detectors and with the old coiltec enhancer-double amplification! If you have the adaptor it should work fine. They have their own power and a volume control...and a long cord.

fred

• Like 1

Yep, used one of those for years on my old 2100.  It's an amp as well as a speaker.  But then Coiltek came out with one that was better suited and have used that ever since.  I still have one of those Radio Shack speakers, brand new in the package.  I was afraid they would discontinue them so I bought two.

• Like 1

Hi all,

RE Digger:  I did the same thing, bought extra..."just in case"  the new ones don't have the nice "s" clamp on the back, so that needs to be dealt with. If you can, let us know what you did to manage this...

I do have the adapter cable, that is almost a "must have" unless the stock headphones work for your situations.  I normally use Detector Pro Black Widows headphones, or Jimmy Sierra Maxi-Phone II, which are made by Detector Pro.  Those headphones are very well made, have a good warranty, and are rebuildable by Gary Storm.  They do seal out outside wind sound quite well, which is so important in the North Nevada area where wind is pretty much a constant.

For the RS Mini-speaker, I intend to make a mount of lexan, which is my go to plastic, as it is so durable, and won't crack for any reason, as Plexiglas will, guaranteed...

I do like the price of the RS Mini-speaker, as with everything, they have gone up a bit in price over the years.  You may have to buy a 1/8"male to 18"male electrical cord/cable, as well as a 1/4" male to 1/8" female plug adapter to make it all happen, but I have found I have a most of that stuff left over from other projects.  I have all of this with stereo plugs, but not sure if that is necessary, but I'll let someone else chime in on that.  I did this, as my headphones are all stereo: 2 bands on the male plugs.

One other thing I noted in a photo from "Prospecting in Australia" forum, the SDC shown appears to have some tennis handle wrap on it to make the detector handle a bit larger to grip, while also making the grip a little softer in the "feel" department...

Give me more thoughts on the matter, it is fun trying to make our detectors "our own"...

Have a good day!

Gary/Largo

gary,

I had a picture up on this forum or robs with my 2300 using a radio shack speaker....it was functional.

little weird sounding somtimes, but functional...

got the smallest piece ever with it and it was plenty loud for my deaf ears...

the rig I put on also is a mount for my bungee cord....it pulls the toe of the coil up and out front...

post-420-0-40577500-1423036616_thumb.jpg

After looking at my setup...I am going to take this rig off and see if it is the cause of the incessant warble I get.

Maybe that speaker and aluminum are being picked up by the coil....

All I have to do us cut loose the rubber tape and try it.....so no grief there.

Will report back later...paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By rob baum
      I bought a house in meadview about 4 years ago.  Every couple months when I go there I try to get over to gold basin to do some detecting or drywashing.  It took me a couple years to find my first nugget out there and its been a couple of years since then and I havent found another.  I swing an SDC and I've read people have done pretty good out there with that model.  I find plenty of lead and boot tacks a inch or two down but not much deeper than that.   What settings are people using out there?  How deep down are people finding the gold?  Would I be better off with a  different model that can go deeper?  I'm not very confident in my abilities since I learned this machine on my own and have only found 2 pieces in the 4 years and dozens of times I've used it.  Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Here's the 1st video Minelab USA did for TV.  You might know the English sounding dude from FL.
      What's interesting is we were able to see Minelab Mine Detector as it turned into a gold detector.
      The comments towards the end about seeing what's in the ground before you dig it, I'm still waiting.
      Do you feel, we'll see a detector that can actually see the item or at least the shape of it with any accuracy and if so how long out?

• By PPP
      Hi!
      Another classic question,but i have a ctx3030 with 17inch coil and do mostly detecting in the saltwater.It goes deep and thats what i'm looking for,depth,,I know that SDC2300 is a PI machine and very sensitive to gold.But when it comes to depth comparison in saltwater and knowing the SDC2300 has 8 inch coil,then the question is which detector goes deeper?is it worth buying that expensive unit just for saltwater beahhunting? 
    • By Bear
      Glad to see Simon is back.
      I know there are previous posts about SDC battery compartment seal, I had problems with mine this summer.  

Here is the background that I have posted about before.
      I dredge in an old cut that wasn’t cleaned that good into the bedrock.  The bedrock is a quartz muscovite schist that through frost shattering and dissolution is deeply weathered making it easy to dredge into for a couple of feet.  Because it is a cut the water is always murky and work is done by feel.  A couple of years ago I dug a big section that I thought was cleaned up.  Previously I seen a guy use an Excalibur to check where he had dredged so I took the SDC in.  There was targets so dredged deeper and recovered a couple more nuggets.  Now this has become standard practice.  
      This summer while changing the batteries there was water in the battery compartment.  I cleaned and dried the compartment.  Also cleaned the seal and the machine worked fine but I would like to change it.  Through a search nobody sells replacements?
    • By Lunk
      With the fantastic weather in the Rye Patch region during the month of October, I was chomping at the bit to get down there, but my summer job didn't end until the 30th. It still took me a few days afterward to get everything wrapped up, so I finally hit the road and met up with Gerry and friends at Rye Patch the following Tuesday. The detector training class we were scheduled to give that weekend ended up being cancelled, thanks to a winter storm that was forecast to move into the area on Friday. Needless to say, having only two days of optimal detecting conditions before being snowed out and forced to move on to Arizona was a total bummer.😞 Intent on finding a few bits of gold in-spite of the looming storm system and armed with our trusty Minelab GPZ 7000 gold detectors (and one SDC 2300 - also quite trusty, btw), we hit an old patch in hopes of digging up some previously overlooked yellow metal. Only two small nuggets were found after a couple of hours searching with four coils on the ground - not a very good start. It was then that I remembered another old patch nearby that I had completely forgotten about, it had been so long since I had been there. It wasn't a very good producer back in the day, but perhaps we would be able to find a few nuggets that the VLF and early PI machines may have left behind. Within minutes of hitting the ground, my good friend Chef Rusty and I both popped a shallow sub-gram nugget; not a bad start. Soon, everyone was digging good gold! My second target gave an obvious yet deep sounding signal response from the GPZ's stock 14” coil. I imagined it to be a three or four gram piece at a depth of 12” to 18”. Gerry noticed me digging quite an excavation and came over to capture the action on video. At a measured depth of 20”, the target was finally out of the hole, and as I held it aloft there was an audible gasp from the audience that had gathered to watch, followed by cheers and fist-bumps:

After a thorough cleaning, the specimen weighed in at a whopping 40 grams - a totally unexpected and pleasant surprise! The nuggets kept biting sporadically for everyone the rest of the day, and the same was repeated the following day. Just goes to show that sometimes the ZVT tech can really ignite an old burned-out nugget patch. Much fun was had by all, and it really made up for such a short two-day detecting trip. Pictured below are my finds, including the 40 gram chunk, a couple nuggets at over 8 grams, and all the small bits, with a total combined weight of over 66 grams.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Four used ones advertised on The Classifieds in the last couple days, one sold already. Seems like Gerry’s circle of people... you know something the rest of us do not know Gerry?