Very Satisfied

Doesn't look to impressive does it?  Only one wheat penny!  Several old memorials, is that all you might say.  One old copper ring and a two piece button with gold gilt still showing.  You might be thinking, why Mark would post such a picture, well there is a story behind yesterdays very enjoyable hunt.

It all started over 10 years ago for this particular site.  An old school where they've burn coal for heat and discarded the coal waste in and around the entire school property.  This waste ranges from nickel to BB size and most will attract to a common magnet.  The material has always played havoc (reduced depth and continuous ground chatter) on all the regular VLF machines that have hunted this property, and I might add, the most expensive machines on the market at that. 

Now what I'm pleased about is finding these items in what I would consider a hunted out site.  

Wanting to hear everything I started with park 1, ground balanced, then set to tracking, opened up the discrimination, set the tones to 50 and did a noise cancel.  During the hunt I also tried park 2 and both the field programs, all of which performed very well for me. 

While hunting I listened closely to the audio response of the ground and all the iron signals I was hearing.  After a few minutes and no success I started noticing mixed high tone bleeps and stopped to sweep the coil over each and before long discovered these coins either mixed in or around some of the iron audio responses I was getting.  Carefully rotating around some of these signals I noted, if the audio cleared up and gave a repeatable tone it was a coin or similar non-ferrous target.    If the audio stayed a more iron audio it was always a nail of some sort. 

Even though no silver was found, I counted the hunt extremely successful and enjoyable at that.  Already looking forward to next time!

GEDC0066.JPG

• Like 9

Great Report Mark..   Reminds me of an old school site that is now a park that I need to take the Equinox too.. I’m not sure what happened there but the the iron and charcoal in some parts of the location is overwhelming.. My CTX was not productive in those locations.. I will have to see if the Equinox can pull some goodies out of those areas.

Thanks for sharing your results..

Bryan

Hunting pounded out sites is fun just to see what the new technology can pull out of them. I hit a coupe today and the Nox did not disappoint. I think I'm starting to like Park 2...and it seems that proper ground balance is necessary when out in the field? I'm still learning this thing without reading the manual lol Thats a good hunt for a pounded site. Thanks for sharing..

strick

• Like 1

That’s the thing. We hit a 1799 homesite on our first outing with the 800’s. We had been there a bunch of times, my son got a 1742 1/2 Reale, and a couple of large cents also came out of the ground in our hunts. The entire area is covered with iron, square nails, globs of lead etc.

Our first trip with the 800’s yielded no real keepers, but the amount of non ferrous items we found, in ground we had gone over really well with the CTX was very telling. The Equinox can see things amongst the iron/crap like no Machine we have used, and we have used the best: CTX, ET etc. Couldnt be happier with the “upgrade”, having a ball with this machine!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

While hunting I listened closely to the audio response of the ground and all the iron signals I was hearing.  After a few minutes and no success I started noticing mixed high tone bleeps and stopped to sweep the coil over each and before long discovered these coins either mixed in or around some of the iron audio responses I was getting.  Carefully rotating around some of these signals I noted, if the audio cleared up and gave a repeatable tone it was a coin or similar non-ferrous target.    If the audio stayed a more iron audio it was always a nail of some sort.

Thanks for those details, Mark, and thanks for your YouTube videos which have made me feel better about the things I see and hear with my Eqx800.  I don't know how many times I have to hear (and tell myself) that the site determines the settings and performance.  You hunt difficult sites (ditto your test garden) and your reports are relevant to others of us who do also.

• Like 2

well Done! over here in the UK I have been using  2 tones. low for iron and high for everything else. this really picks out the non-ferrous targets