Which Frequency Is Running In Each Mode?

I want To know that for the multi IQ . 

I suspect park 1 ,field 1 , beach 1 and 2 .

To no run in 40khz in his multi.

So i dont understand why minelab tell the 5 frequency run in multi ? 

I wonder what are the combination?  

2? 3 ? 4 ?  Frequency?  And wich frequency? 

Now i think some people must know that.  It can be helpful for choosing the good mode. 

Anyone have an idea ? 

• The title was changed to Which Frequency Is Running In Each Mode?

It is easy to scope an Equinox to find out what it is transmitting. What nobody except Minelab knows is how the transmitted wave is being received and processed. In my opinion looking at the link it is more complicated than one mode using all five of the single frequencies and other modes using fewer than 5. It is quite possible Multi-IQ is a whole separate thing from a processing standpoint and then the single frequency options are just tacked on top. Minelab says Multi-IQ encompasses the entire range from 5 kHz to 40 khz but it can be any portion of those frequencies that are actually employed and there could in fact be other frequencies utilized within that range. We just don't know. However, here is my best guess from my post in January:

In order or "hotness" :

Hottest (more sensitive to small targets, hot ground/rocks, and saltwater - high frequency weighting)

1. Gold Mode
2. Park Mode 2 and Field Mode 2
3. Park Mode 1 and Field Mode 1
4. Beach Mode 1
5. Beach Mode 2

Least Hot (less sensitive to small targets, hot ground/rocks, and saltwater - low frequencty weighting)

The bottom line however is that this is proprietary information and everything known about Multi-IQ has been published by Minelab. I have collected all the Multi-IQ technology blogs together into one page....

http://www.detectorprospector.com/metal-detecting/minelab-multi-iq-technology-details-explained.htm

So how is the transmitted waveform processed? This from page 7 of the White's V3i Owner's Guide can provide some insight...

whites-v3i-how-does-it-work.jpg

• Like 3

Unless someone goes to the trouble to reverse engineer the hardware and software--and explains it all--we'll never know the details.  But it shouldn't matter at all in terms of using the Nox effectively.  What Minelab says about the modes and the weighting given the frequencies is a good starting point; and beyond that it's experimentation all the way down :)  Already a lot of good user experiences with modes and settings in different conditions posted. 

• Like 2

There is art and science or is it science and art?  I don't know what comes first.  Let's just say in this case the 'science' comes first.  An instrument is made.  It produces and receives signals.  Some are single frequencies and some are a new signal called Multi-IQ.  This technology is probably not random.

When a detectorist (musician) uses this instrument he/she can test it in a very mechanical way and produce sounds or the detectorist can use it in an artful way and make good finds (music)!

Make any musical instrument analogy you would like.  In this case I would choose a violin.  Master violin makers stand the test of time for hundreds of years.  How well will the Nox fare in time?

It sounds pretty good now in many detectorists hands.  At least I am using what some of the best are using.  This doesn't mean I can't use some other instruments also.  I was making some music with other instruments before this one showed up.

Mitchel

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Make any musical instrument analogy you would like.  In this case I would choose a violin.

And If your violin starts sounding like a flute - my vast experience this weekend tells me that it's probably a hot rock. :laugh:

Regarding, the original question.  You can gain some insight into how each mode biases or weights frequency high or low and, therefore, roughly the corresponding  optimal type, size, and conductivity of the targets and site conditions for which each mode is optimized by reading the detailed search mode descriptions in the manual.  Optimized also does not mean "only", too.  For example nothing wrong with running beach mode in really mild soil hundreds of miles from the nearest body of water just as gold mode helped me to find the tiniest of brass relics in mineralized Virginia soil (see the percussion cap (top), grommets, and two-hole button below).  Just as in music (e.g. jazz), improvisation and working outside norms and conventions sometimes creates beautiful music.20180407_213255.thumb.jpg.1bce0e115f0b2f64a33f5a2702ebae7e.jpg

And as Mitchel says, beyond that level of technical information (i.e. where and for what target types each mode is preferred), as a detectorist, I do not really need to know more about what is going on inside the "instrument" because that won't really help me detect or "make music" better.  Hours of practice and actual experience take over from book knowledge ("music theory") at that point.

20180407_213246.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dubious said:

Unless someone goes to the trouble to reverse engineer the hardware and software--and explains it all--we'll never know the details.  But it shouldn't matter at all in terms of using the Nox effectively.  What Minelab says about the modes and the weighting given the frequencies is a good starting point; and beyond that it's experimentation all the way down :)  Already a lot of good user experiences with modes and settings in different conditions posted. 

Awesome reply.

Im not Bill Nye....... so all i have to go by is results testing the various modes for what im doing looking for depth and sensitivity.   Sometimes all you need to know is it works.........not why.   Anytime someone throws in Algorithms, multi freqs, or weighed signals in the same sentence...... count me out of the conversation.    

• Like 2

Geez just go and detect and listen to your machine . The minelab Techs seem to do ok and I don't give a damn how which and why they did this . Anyway  it would waste my detecting time digging the $1 and $2 coins here in OZ If I tried to figure it out . When it goes ding I dig ( oops Hubby digs) and 90% of the time BINGO  it's a keeper ???

• Like 2

To me there's nothing wrong with wondering about how it works so long as a person has the mental faculties to process the possible answers. Metal detecting technology is far more complex than most people would imagine. So whether out of curiousity, out of hopes that deeper understanding will make one a better detectorist, or whether you'd rather not know and just focus on the product, all positions are valid. I'm in camp one and two, and I figure that even if it doesn't make me a better detectorist, I love wrapping my mind around complex issues.

To me multi-IQ is just a smarter and more balanced approach to multifrequency. FBS is a successful platform, but it lacked sensitivity to small, low conductors. I believe what Minelab has always done with multifrequency is run it in a sequential pulse like manner (utilizing time and frequency domain). This has an advantage over concurrent multifrequency, like the V3i, where there is very little depth loss vs any single frequency and it doesn't require filters. The dead giveaway that multi-IQ is using a sequential approach is the reports of no loss of depth between single frequencies and multi-IQ, and the way Multi-IQ seems to perform as well as single frequencies in nearly any scenario. This probably wouldn't be the case if the frequencies were run concurrently. 

I believe in multi-IQ Minelab has taken their FBS approach and expanded on it. I don't believe every mode uses 5 frequencies. But the system is able to utilize the best of the available frequencies for the task at hand.

For example, in gold mode, frequencies 5 and 10 would be of little value . It's quite possible these frequencies are not utilized at all in Gold mode, and if they are, they are likely run or processed at a lower ratio in the sequence than 20 and 40.

Conversely, 20 and 40 would not be as stable in beach mode where lower frequencies handle conductive salt better. It is possible they are not utilized at all in beach mode or if they are, then at a much lower ratio than 5 and 10.

This is what they mean by weighting. The frequencies best suited to the task at hand are given the most repetition in transmission and/or in the processing algorithm, whereas with FBS it appeared that at least in terms of transmission, the same two frequencies were fired at every task (3.125khz and 25khz.) with the higher frequency a bit underpowered. 

• Like 3

Did he just say i lacked my mental faculties or did he call me dumb...... lol.  JK..... good points.   I agree .... not sure its using all 5 either..... just take a look at how they are weighted...... say beach mode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1