Rye Patch ?

Thank you i will check it out. I printed some off My Land Matters today too.

I'm thinking about going to Rye Patch in the fall.  There's a big detecting rally there each year in the fall, it's free and from what I've heard it's a great event.  Probably a good way to break the ice there for me. 

Found the link to it for this years Rye Patch Nugget Shoot Out:

http://renoprospectinganddetecting.com/rye-patch-nugget-shoot/

Interestingly I've been all over Nevada, but I've heard that Rye Patch in particular is really tough on tires. I've heard countless stories of multiple flats on one vehicle on one trip.  What's up with that? 

• Like 1

There must be a Lot of sharp rocks in the area that cause all the flats. Thanks for the info on the Fall get together.

The flats are caused either by cheap tires or speeding or both. I have a 4Runner with a good set of Michelin steel belted radial tires, and stay at lower speeds like about 35 mph max. I have had one trailer tire pop but no vehicle tire failures in five years of driving out in that country. And I get way back in on some barely visible tracks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good to know Steve, but i still think i will carry a couple truck spares just in case. I have that kinda luck. lol

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I'm thinking about going to Rye Patch in the fall.  There's a big detecting rally there each year in the fall, it's free and from what I've heard it's a great event.  Probably a good way to break the ice there for me. 

Found the link to it for this years Rye Patch Nugget Shoot Out:

http://renoprospectinganddetecting.com/rye-patch-nugget-shoot/

Interestingly I've been all over Nevada, but I've heard that Rye Patch in particular is really tough on tires. I've heard countless stories of multiple flats on one vehicle on one trip.  What's up with that? 

Yes there is. It will be in September this year. It is my gold club that puts it on each year. It is totally free to attended. We also have a guy that goes out there and cook tri tp sandwiches. You have to buy those unless your his detecting partner like me. ? got to love those perks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The flats are caused either by cheap tires or speeding or both. I have a 4Runner with a good set of Michelin steel belted radial tires, and stay at lower speeds like about 35 mph max. I have had one trailer tire pop but no vehicle tire failures in five years of driving out in that country. And I get way back in on some barely visible tracks.

Good to know.  I have a Toyota FJ Cruser TRD with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires with Kevlar sidewalls, so should do OK.

I've offr-oaded into some crarzy places in Nevada,  and never had a flat yet (knock on wood) but you hear a lot of stories about flats at Rye Patch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Well my staff/I just finished the season and wrap up of field training for 2021 and our customers...and boy did it go out with a bang and big belly's thanks to Chef Rusty Bucket.  Smoked ribs, Bourbon shrimp in garlic sauce, berry pie and ice cream, smoked Brisket, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos and more.  Wish I would have taken more pics of the food.  As I have said before, the food/drinks/people are part of why I enjoy these trips, as I know the gold will eventually come.
      As many know, Gerry’s Detectors has been training out there at the burn barrel with a few different staff members since the 90’s.   We have been using just about every model of gold detector from the top manufactures as well as coils to see what the best results are.  The comparisons of customers detectors continue to see the improvements of technologies and capabilities which is what we want.  Yes there are times a more expensive detector may not produce the best signal response on that particular targets, but it’s what it is and part of learning.
      Some of what we found most amazing and it’s exactly what I expected would happen during the training at RP.  The gold nuggets being found during the 3 days of class was the most of any session in at least 5+ yrs.  More people went home with actual Rye Patch gold than what my staff/I have witnessed in quite a long time.  The knowledge shared was the same stuff we always go over, but the knowledge retained was higher.  The class size is usually around the same, but the amount of golden smiles of success was better than many yrs prior.  We know the VLF detectors when fit with small coils are going to find a few pickers, but to see the bigger PI machines perform so well and produce such higher %’s of beautiful NV gold was most impressive.
      So lets go over it again to see what my Staff/I observed, in no particular order.  Knowledge of customers detectors was actually retained, smiles of happy customers making the right choice of detectors, the amount of successful customers who went home with gold and the overall numbers of gold nuggets dug by the students.  There is one thing that I corollate all these positives and it’s the new GPX-6000, period.
      Yes we had SDC-2300’s, GPZ-7000, GPX-5000’s and the usual VLF’s in the class being learned by the students and those who were there with the GPX-6000 had the most Success.  But the success of gold nugget finds was just part of the fun.  Ease of operation and simplicity we’ve never seen from a PI Minelab was also most impressive.  The customers were actually not afraid of their detectors.  They didn’t worry if the timing and or sequence of adjustments was correct, as the GPX-6000 is pretty much a turn on and go.  The old way, a big multi page instruction manual (is missing) and now we get a 3 step Quick Start…and it’s true.  1) Turn On.  2) Raise/Lower Coil for 10s, 3) Begin Detecting.  Are you kidding me, no way that can’t be true.  We just paid $6000 for one of the latest technology fine tuned gold detectors in the world and all we get in the box to help learn, is 3 short steps with a combined total of 10 words?  

Well folks,  it’s all true and so is the amount of happy customers who invested in our training and the new GPX-6000.
      If anyone thinks there was some other reason for the above, please chime in as all indicators are bulls eyed at the GPX-6000.  Overall the trip went exceptionally well consider the 100 yr rain storm that came through while we were down there.  I still love the natural beauty of Northern NV in the fall and the colors on the gold nuggets we dug.
      Hopefully the Spring/Summer class will be just as productive with a group of new enthusiastic customers and more gold being unearthed.

• By sevastras
      I purchased the GPX 6000 from @Gerry in Idaho a few months back and had only taken it out once for about 45 minutes and had to put it away because it was screaming at me due to iron scattered everywhere. Fast forward to this past weekend, I went down to Rye Patch to @Gerry in Idaho's training to really get out and try this thing out.  I ended the trip with 8 pieces totaling 3.7 grams, cleaned.  The biggest piece was pretty cool so I am including pictures of both sides of that one, 1.5 grams cleaned.  All 8 were found right around the burn barrel area. Thank you to Gerry and all of his staff for a great time and knowledge! @Lunk  @afreakofnature and the rest of the team.
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Rye Patch is a scenic area (for its own reasons), this time of yr.  If you can catch warm Temps in 60s, no wind, and sunny days, it doesn't get much better.   Add the chance to cross paths with some DP members makes it even better.  A few other things allowing an adventurous trip, a hairy legged tarantula, some more intricate nuggets and always a handful of lucky crystals. 
      I have been blessed so far with all.  Including chatting with members,  Condor,  Bill in CO,  Chet and Tom from  CA., and today hopefully a few others. 
      Memories to add to my scrapbook. 

• By LuckyLundy
      Early wet Weather in Northern Nevada, sure messed up a few of my hunts!  But, this last Hunt was called Rain or Shine!  Be there or miss out with the original hunting party.  We had half the amount of coils on the ground during this hunt and managed to find a few sweet spots of dinks to add to our pokes.  Rain on us with snow in the ground 200’ above us all 4-Days!  6000, Retune Button got a workout.  I kept the 11” Mono on.  Tried the DD for a few hours with no luck, don’t know if the ground and line I took was bad, but the guys behind me where finding nuggets…so back to the 11”.  My truck is out in the drive way in the wet Weather still loaded up with me gear!  Getting wet again to unload it, I can’t wait 🤨
      Until the next Hunt!
      LuckyLundy

• By LuckyLundy
      We had a 3 party hunt scheduled Condor, LuckyLarry and myself.  I set sail East Bound and down on I-80 to Rye Patch from Reno.  I texted the Boyz and received a text back from Condor that his Truck was sick and couldn’t make this trip!  Well just meant more Rib Eyes on my dinner plate!  LuckyLarry, was on his way from Elko to Rye Patch and the timing was perfect he followed me in to our camp site!  Temperature Gauge was a solid 97 at the 3 O’Clock hour.  Larry, hunted out here in the Hey Days of Rye Patch.  He was just learning Gold Detecting back then and scored many nice nuggets!  But, ended up being a Top Notch Relic Hunter.  That’s how we met.  We met on the Internet with me needing some old Relic’s ID.  He was my go to guy to tell me the history of anything I’d dig up in the Goldfields of California.  Of course, I avoided these extra trashy old camp sites and would pass the location to Larry for his Relic hunts when he traveled to California.  We set up camp and hopped into my RZR Buggy into the heat to swing our 6000’s on my old patches.  Finding left over nuggets that our older models missed, but the heat!  Had to hit a 100 before some clouds moved in to cool things down!  Them clouds had rain and in front of them was the wind.  Headed back to Camp to beat the rain, as I left my Trucks Windows half open which was the way the wind and rain was blowing in.  Made it back to camp wet Windows up with a gust of wind that had to be over 50 mph.  Well early to bed with showers on and off and the next morning with more rain to heavy to detect in which gave us time to eat some cookies and for me to remember where some more old patches where at to swing on.  Gone for 4-Days with 2 1/2 days of good detecting!  We ended up with 20 Dinks each!  Two Lucky 🍀 guys with plenty of smiles for our efforts fighting Mother Natures last blasts of Summer!  I figure I’m now about 80% done with having the 6000 over our old patches in Rye Patch.  I’m sure we left gold in the patches we hunted for further visits…never can get them all and every day is a different day!
      Until the next Hunt!
      LuckyLundy