Rye Patch ?

Thank you i will check it out. I printed some off My Land Matters today too.

I'm thinking about going to Rye Patch in the fall.  There's a big detecting rally there each year in the fall, it's free and from what I've heard it's a great event.  Probably a good way to break the ice there for me. 

Found the link to it for this years Rye Patch Nugget Shoot Out:

http://renoprospectinganddetecting.com/rye-patch-nugget-shoot/

Interestingly I've been all over Nevada, but I've heard that Rye Patch in particular is really tough on tires. I've heard countless stories of multiple flats on one vehicle on one trip.  What's up with that? 

• Like 1

There must be a Lot of sharp rocks in the area that cause all the flats. Thanks for the info on the Fall get together.

The flats are caused either by cheap tires or speeding or both. I have a 4Runner with a good set of Michelin steel belted radial tires, and stay at lower speeds like about 35 mph max. I have had one trailer tire pop but no vehicle tire failures in five years of driving out in that country. And I get way back in on some barely visible tracks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good to know Steve, but i still think i will carry a couple truck spares just in case. I have that kinda luck. lol

8 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I'm thinking about going to Rye Patch in the fall.  There's a big detecting rally there each year in the fall, it's free and from what I've heard it's a great event.  Probably a good way to break the ice there for me. 

Found the link to it for this years Rye Patch Nugget Shoot Out:

http://renoprospectinganddetecting.com/rye-patch-nugget-shoot/

Interestingly I've been all over Nevada, but I've heard that Rye Patch in particular is really tough on tires. I've heard countless stories of multiple flats on one vehicle on one trip.  What's up with that? 

Yes there is. It will be in September this year. It is my gold club that puts it on each year. It is totally free to attended. We also have a guy that goes out there and cook tri tp sandwiches. You have to buy those unless your his detecting partner like me. ? got to love those perks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The flats are caused either by cheap tires or speeding or both. I have a 4Runner with a good set of Michelin steel belted radial tires, and stay at lower speeds like about 35 mph max. I have had one trailer tire pop but no vehicle tire failures in five years of driving out in that country. And I get way back in on some barely visible tracks.

Good to know.  I have a Toyota FJ Cruser TRD with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires with Kevlar sidewalls, so should do OK.

I've offr-oaded into some crarzy places in Nevada,  and never had a flat yet (knock on wood) but you hear a lot of stories about flats at Rye Patch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By LuckyLundy
      Early wet Weather in Northern Nevada, sure messed up a few of my hunts!  But, this last Hunt was called Rain or Shine!  Be there or miss out with the original hunting party.  We had half the amount of coils on the ground during this hunt and managed to find a few sweet spots of dinks to add to our pokes.  Rain on us with snow in the ground 200’ above us all 4-Days!  6000, Retune Button got a workout.  I kept the 11” Mono on.  Tried the DD for a few hours with no luck, don’t know if the ground and line I took was bad, but the guys behind me where finding nuggets…so back to the 11”.  My truck is out in the drive way in the wet Weather still loaded up with me gear!  Getting wet again to unload it, I can’t wait 🤨
      Until the next Hunt!
      LuckyLundy

• By LuckyLundy
      We had a 3 party hunt scheduled Condor, LuckyLarry and myself.  I set sail East Bound and down on I-80 to Rye Patch from Reno.  I texted the Boyz and received a text back from Condor that his Truck was sick and couldn’t make this trip!  Well just meant more Rib Eyes on my dinner plate!  LuckyLarry, was on his way from Elko to Rye Patch and the timing was perfect he followed me in to our camp site!  Temperature Gauge was a solid 97 at the 3 O’Clock hour.  Larry, hunted out here in the Hey Days of Rye Patch.  He was just learning Gold Detecting back then and scored many nice nuggets!  But, ended up being a Top Notch Relic Hunter.  That’s how we met.  We met on the Internet with me needing some old Relic’s ID.  He was my go to guy to tell me the history of anything I’d dig up in the Goldfields of California.  Of course, I avoided these extra trashy old camp sites and would pass the location to Larry for his Relic hunts when he traveled to California.  We set up camp and hopped into my RZR Buggy into the heat to swing our 6000’s on my old patches.  Finding left over nuggets that our older models missed, but the heat!  Had to hit a 100 before some clouds moved in to cool things down!  Them clouds had rain and in front of them was the wind.  Headed back to Camp to beat the rain, as I left my Trucks Windows half open which was the way the wind and rain was blowing in.  Made it back to camp wet Windows up with a gust of wind that had to be over 50 mph.  Well early to bed with showers on and off and the next morning with more rain to heavy to detect in which gave us time to eat some cookies and for me to remember where some more old patches where at to swing on.  Gone for 4-Days with 2 1/2 days of good detecting!  We ended up with 20 Dinks each!  Two Lucky 🍀 guys with plenty of smiles for our efforts fighting Mother Natures last blasts of Summer!  I figure I’m now about 80% done with having the 6000 over our old patches in Rye Patch.  I’m sure we left gold in the patches we hunted for further visits…never can get them all and every day is a different day!
      Until the next Hunt!
      LuckyLundy

• By Condor
      It's been drizzling all day, now turned to heavy rain and thunder.  If you're planning a trip out here plan accordingly. 
    • By LuckyLundy
      The weather may have turned for the better in Northern Nevada.  It was time to get out and check how my GPZ 7000, would handle the moisture/salt from the Winter Storms.  I pulled into the Burn Barrel to camp, but it was like pulling into a KOA.  I unloaded my trusty RZR and hit the trail to find a nugget.  I ran into several folks out trying their luck, all had smiles on their faces and enjoying our outdoor hobby.  I was told that Gerry was having his training at the Burn Barrel which explained the crowd of RV’s.  I did get time for a short visit with Gerry and Lunk, before heading out.  The soil, is a little noisy with High Yield/Normal.  Using Difficult settled it down perfectly, but not my preferred setting for dink nuggets.  Anyways, I hunted in Normal and ground balanced often to give my ears a rest from the noisy ground.  I didn’t find any dink nuggets which are the Bread & Butter to any poke, but did find a couple of Steak & Lobster nuggets before loading up and heading home from the short Dirt Recon Trip.  There’s gold out there, you just need to get your coil over it, I need some Bread & Butter Nuggets to complete my meal.  Talking about meals, my Dog Marley refused to eat his normal dog grub on this trip, and only wanted what I brought “Fried Chicken”.  Until the next Hunt!
      LuckyLundy

• By mn90403
      I am not affiliated with this company nor am I an investor.  I do like a map they have put together.  It shows gold 'finds' all over norther Nevada with the center in Winnemucca.  They want investors and I liked reading some of the discovery info.  What do you think?
      I took a 'day trip' one Sunday north of Winnemucca leaving from Rye Patch.  It is a long distance up there.  Getting back I drove on the longest dirt road I've ever been on.  I know they are much longer in Australia but this road was a 'short cut' with 80 miles of nothing.  I should not have done it alone.  It wasn't in the summer but I still wouldn't do it again.

https://investingnews.com/company-profiles/bald-eagle-gold-tsxv-big/