Loose Rods, Wobbly Rods, Rod Flex

Yeah the problem being a strong arm can force a twist so there is an amount that is acceptable or not. Twist locks are only meant to hold a rod in place against normal detecting forces. It really does need to be obvious and pronounced. Hopefully Minelab does not get a bunch of false alarms over this but the fact is there are some people that really are having an issue, and if so a fix is available for those people. Reports on turnaround time have also been fantastic so far, which is good.

I agree, I should said it moved 1/4 or more easy,no torqueing on it.

• Like 1

No issue with my 600. Rock Steady!

Well, I've read this thread and my Equinox shaft is still solid.  I must be immune to the power of suggestion.

Strange, I just noticed one of the legs of the chair I'm sitting on is wobbly.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tsunamiscott said:

Well, I've read this thread and my Equinox shaft is still solid.  I must be immune to the power of suggestion.

Strange, I just noticed one of the legs of the chair I'm sitting on is wobbly.

That's great,gorilla glue outta handle it! 

My 800 is Ok on land but put it into the water and with some water inside the tube its wobbles .

I have just purchased some carbon fiber tube and a Plugger shaft lock so will make up water hunting shaft when the parts arrive.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:56 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Yours sounds normal Vez. The Equinox as far as rods compares to other detectors in the comparable price and weight range. The CTX at triple the price and almost double the weight is built like a tank by comparison.

I am not used to cam-locking mechanisms and I isolated the "spongy" feel to that location.  The Etrac didn't do it either and it has been a few year, but I don't think it was a cam-lock.  Not a complaint, just a statement of what I am experiencing.  A nice thing I noticed, is I don't think that this mechanism will wear out nearly as quickly as the ones on the Etrac and 3030 did for me.     

On 4/9/2018 at 2:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

If you have not noticed it then it is very unlikely you have a problem - it is apparently rather pronounced. My main fear posting this thread was people who have not had an issue before now deciding they do (power of suggestion) so people do need to be sure and contact Minelab before doing anything. If anyone ever gets a firm line on how to diagnose the problem as being sufficient to justify Minelab replacing something let us all know. There must be something that measure out of specification that can be checked to verify the problem.

I checked mine this morning, it seems rock solid.

So what's the point of swapping to an Anderson straight shaft when these already come on a straight shaft? 

• Like 1

Just now, Cal_Cobra said:

So what's the point of swapping to an Anderson straight shaft when these already come on a straight shaft? 

I had a buddy tell me he wanted it to be able to be shorter for storage and I believe he said the Anderson was considerably shorter.

5 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

None imho seems like a waste of moolah to this guy but I can see it some folks just like what they like!