Consolidated Thread For Issues / Bugs / Flaws .. ?

Sinclair

Steve Herschbach, do you know if Minelab reads this forum?

I wonder what we could do with all the information on our observed issues.

Some of them probably could be fixed by a firmware update - like the pinpoint audio for example.

Or is there any official way to report such things?

Yes, the manufacturers read this forum and the other good ones also. I and some others report issues when we think they are real. Minelab is aware of what’s going on, and Equinox was designed to be able to have bug fixes issued at some point. No few testers can find them all and so it was almost inevitable a few bugs would get found once enough units are in the field. I am sure Minelab would like to make sure any such bug update is comprehensive rather than issue numerous updates to single issues.

Long story short, there is no need for people to make special lists or efforts. Minelab already has one. If you personally are having a problem or what you think is a genuine bug, by all means report the issue to Minelab. There is no need to do anything other than that. Do not report bugs or issues to Minelab you are not personally experiencing.

The last time I saw such a bug list thread attempted on a detector it just turned into a pile on list of issues real and imagined stirred with glee by trolls.

• Like 2

Thanks for your detailed explanation, sounds good. You can delete this thread if you want to.

The few little quirks I noticed with my 800 were chalked up to inexperience with the 800. Things such as pinpoint going silent and then coming back. I read as much as I can from those that know detectors well and extract what I can learn from them. I am getting my 800 back on Thursday but have no idea what they did to repair it. What I do know if it would have not totally quit working I would have kept using it. Hopefully whatever they did to fix it can be used in a firmware update later on. 

To be truthful my biggest take away from watching the experts and reading what the experts have posted is the  preloaded modes by Minelab are close to perfect unless a person is in an area where the soil is highly mineralized. Everytime you tweak a mode to get what you're seeking you give up something to gain something else. That's my observation only. 

3 hours ago, Norm S said:

The few little quirks I noticed with my 800 were chalked up to inexperience with the 800. Things such as pinpoint going silent and then coming back. I read as much as I can from those that know detectors well and extract what I can learn from them. I am getting my 800 back on Thursday but have no idea what they did to repair it. What I do know if it would have not totally quit working I would have kept using it. Hopefully whatever they did to fix it can be used in a firmware update later on. 

To be truthful my biggest take away from watching the experts and reading what the experts have posted is the  preloaded modes by Minelab are close to perfect unless a person is in an area where the soil is highly mineralized. Everytime you tweak a mode to get what you're seeking you give up something to gain something else. That's my observation only. 

Hi Norm S, If you find out what the issue with the pinpoint going silent is, can you please report on it here. Mine goes silent when I pinpoint but suddenly comes on after a couple of seconds, or sometimes I have to pinpoint a second time to get full volume. I'm not sending my unit in...... I just got it LOL It's finding gold and my beach season ends when the crowds get there at the end of May. I'll double pinpoint for the duration if I have to. Just curious on what that issue is.

10 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Hi Norm S, If you find out what the issue with the pinpoint going silent is, can you please report on it here. Mine goes silent when I pinpoint but suddenly comes on after a couple of seconds, or sometimes I have to pinpoint a second time to get full volume. I'm not sending my unit in...... I just got it LOL It's finding gold and my beach season ends when the crowds get there at the end of May. I'll double pinpoint for the duration if I have to. Just curious on what that issue is.

Do a search on Pinpoint on this forum and you can get an idea of the spectrum of issues regarding pinpoint volume.  As Steve has said, some of it may be "real" as in an actual "volume" bug (that seems to happen while going into or out of pinpoint) and some of it may be imagined, because people are not used to how the pinpoint works on this detector where the volume appears to have to "lock on" to the target before it gets louder.  It is something ML is probably looking into for refinement because it does appear to be a little quirky.

Given the number of equinoxes out there and that it's been some time now, it says something that this thread has so few posts. A pretty good roll out record I'd say. 

Well done, Minelab 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Do a search on Pinpoint on this forum and you can get an idea of the spectrum of issues regarding pinpoint volume.  As Steve has said, some of it may be "real" as in an actual "volume" bug (that seems to happen while going into or out of pinpoint) and some of it may be imagined, because people are not used to how the pinpoint works on this detector where the volume appears to have to "lock on" to the target before it gets louder.  It is something ML is probably looking into for refinement because it does appear to be a little quirky.

Thanks, I'll search it. Mine is definitely and intermittent issue. I'll see if anyone else has the same exact problem. But this machine is a killer on small gold!!!

• Like 1

While I didn't have much luck at the beach yesterday, it was my first beach outing with the 600 and I learned quite a bit.

Totally amazed at the depth at which this detector will find the very smallest bits. I dug 12" in the sand yesterday to find a very small sliver of aluminum... smaller than my little fingernail. Wow!  Wasn't what I was hoping for, but very impressed nonetheless. These Equinox's rock!

• Like 1