1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

You better be careful.  Your likely to get hooked on coin hunting if you keep this up.

Oh I have always enjoyed coin detecting, and it's even more fun when there is a chance at older coins. Still, I was already thinking that next week I should shift to jewelry detecting soon, which is what I normally do when not nugget hunting. For now though weather is mild and a little rain now and then, and I want to take advantage of that. Once the summer heat starts I do not like plugging the turf around here as the ground gets so hard and dry. So I think I will keep honing the Equinox coin hunting skills as long as conditions favor digging plugs, then shift to jewelry detecting and of course nugget detecting later on.

I do go to Park 2 and Field 1 & 2 from time to time when I get a good deeper "iffy" target but so far have not been convinced to move off Park 1. The targets will sound different and target ids present differently but not in any way yet that seems clearly better or worse - just different. Park 2 and Field 2 are hotter on small objects, but that does not help me much for hunting silver. It just lights up the smallest foil and can slaw bits.

• Like 4

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I enjoy the Nox success stories.

Yep, those who are getting Nox and using a few times and offing.  Oh well.  I guess all I can say, I hope these folks live near me. :smile:

The 50 tones talks to me, even with no disc but iron.  Like a nickel will just jump out sound wise, even though there are things that reads like or close to them.  

did you look for an 'S' on the back of your '08 IH? congrats on the several firsts you had. I hadn't found an IH for several years and scored an 1865 in nice shape just today, pretty happy with it. Still want to find a seated and especially a standing liberty quarter. Good luck on the $5 gold, I think you've got a very good shot at it,  especially with some research into more old locales....

• Like 1

Good reminder to look for the S on the 08 Indian... I always forget.. My hunting partner actually found one a little over a week ago while I was hunting with him. It’s a nice one too..  I haven’t found one yet myself..

Bryan

Congrats on those "firsts" Steve. 

We must think alike as 12-13 and 17 up are the settings I had decided on as well. Set to high tone and low volume on all the rest.

For coin hunting my old sites the comparison I want to try is Park 1 vs Field 1.  Mainly to see if there is any difference in iron handling.

Tom

• Like 2

Thanks for the settings!  Really jump starts the learning process on my new 600 and later when my 800 finally gets shipped. Heading for a couple of parks today and will use those parameters. 

As an aside, I spent the morning yesterday, before the thunderstorms (and nickel-sized hail) trying to find the survey studs that define our property boundaries. I own the lot my house sits on, as well as the 3/4 acre, empty lot next door that has some interesting multi-angled boundaries. The 600 was perfect for that. I got three of them with it, and four to go yet.  One of them was buried 8" under the soil and sang loud at 14.   I have had to use Google Maps to generalize the GPS coordinates for the other four, which should get the area to search to about a 10' diameter.  Surprisingly, while searching for the studs, I found a few quarters and pennies on what was virgin overgrowth before construction started in this development in 2000.

2lots.jpg.3a3d14b6bd5e4aad3c920fd4c19e1e38.jpg

This is our permanent home in Palm Bay, Florida.  I go back and forth to wherever my wife is stationed in the Air Force, and that will be in Oklahoma for the next two years beginning in June. I think I'll leave the 600 at this house, and have the 800 in Oklahoma so I don't have to carry them on a plane when jumping from one to the other. (Hoping to hook up with SteveG in OK who will be less than an hour away from where we will be stationed at Tinker AFB.) Mostly Beach and Park hunting in Florida, and Parks and Relics in OK.

HOLY COW, Steve, it just keeps getting better!!!

You might look into ways to have that cleaned, without damaging...given that it has some value!

SittingElf -- by all means, let's hook up when you get here!

Steve

• Like 1