Videos Suggested For Beginners Using AT Max

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Videos Suggested For Beginners Using AT Max

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mh9162013
      I mainly run a Minelab Vanquish 540 and search for coins and/or jewelry. So it's a rare occurrence for me to hear it sound off on iron or EMI.
      I recently acquired a barely used AT Max and compared to my 540, it sounds like it's nuts, with chatter like crazy. Some of this appears to be EMI. But it also seems to be super sensitivity to faint signals, especially iron.
      I used it outside for a bit and I usually needed to set the sensitivity to 2, 3 or 4 (out of eight) to stop the chatter. My understanding is that I have 3 realistic options to reduce chatter.
      One, I can adjust the frequency/channel (F1-F4) and see if that helps.
      Two, I can reduce the sensitivity while the machine is on. This seems to work, but I'm afraid it's killing my depth (although I don't know by how much).
      Three, I can set the sensitivity to 1 and turn off the machine. Then, turn it back on and only then, adjust the sensitivity to as high as I can get away with. The higher the sensitivity is set when turning it off, the more chatter I get when I turn it on.
      Are there any of things I can do to get a less fritzy machine?
      Any insight or experiences will be appreciated. Most likely I'll sell either this or one my Vanquishes and right now, the AT Max is getting clobbered by the 540. But to be fair, I've used the 540 for probably 50 or so hours and the AT Max for less than 2.
    • By JCR
      I purchased the new Viper coil for my AT Max and have run it thru my Test garden. I think it will do just what I had hoped; a little deeper than the excellent 5x8 with near matching separation coupled with the ground coverage of the stock 8.5X11. Very stable & sensitive.
    • By Dances With Doves
      With all the talk of Minelab dominating the prospecting part of metal detecting lately   how often has any one used a Garrett for gold prospecting in the last  few  years?  
    • By B0SC0
      Is it me, or am I missing something here.
      How do you tell how much battery capacity there is?
      I believe somewhere I was reading about the universal  Z-link  module led will blink with 3 hours left.
      Is this true for the headphones?
      If so, that would drive me crazy not knowing the level until then.
      Scenario: Leave the house to detect 6-8 hours or more, hour into the hunt led flashes, meaning only 3 hours left,  for a total of only 4 hours.
      This will cause me to recharge the headphones before every hunt. Even iIf they didn't really need it.
      Probably shorten battery life, too.
      If this is the case, maybe Garrett needs to add a battery level meter on the headphones or wireless to the AT MAX with an icon showing the level on the display.
      Your thoughts?
    • By GB_Amateur
      As always I look forward to your review (if you get one of these new coils).  And you're the first person here that I can remember in a long time (since Steve's review) saying something good about the AT/Gold.  👍

• By N7XW
      Hello Detector Prospector forum!  I've been inactive in detecting for quite some time and am now getting back at it.  I've used this forum in the past and received great advice so I'm back for more. 
      I'd like to detect the national forest for gold particularly in the rivers and areas of exposed bedrock.  I currently have an AT Pro with multiple coils (among other machines but none are dedicated gold detectors).  I'm thinking of using the 5x8 and sniper coil.  I don't foresee spending a great deal of my time gold detecting, particularly due to the distance I would have to travel and lower chance of success as compared to coin detecting.  So, given this situation, my question is this - do you think I would be much better served by buying a dedicated gold machine?  I was thinking the AT Gold due to river detecting (waterproof).  But would the AT Pro do "almost" as well on gold?  Loaded question, I know.  How much difference does 3 kHz make in detecting small gold?  I'm going to do a little testing on small lead fragments to get an idea as to how small of a nugget the Pro will pick up.
      Thanks in advance!