Sign in to follow this  

Nice finds. I get excited everytime I find a wheat penny. I sold a 1909 V.D.B. penny for $35 a cpl of years ago. There is something about a wheat penny that reminds me of my childhood when pennies could buy candy

• Like 2

Those wheats are in great shape Bryan.  It is rare I find one is as good condition as any of those in my area.  I found two wheats yesterday that I could only decipher the 'x94x" on one and the "1x5x " on the other.  I'm with you though.  Yes, wheats are a good indicator for other possible finds, but they are great coins in their own right :).  Good post!!  :) Tim

• Like 2

This location I hunted yesterday was pretty kind to the Wheats..  One trend that I have noticed is that the older Wheats tend to hold up much better then the ones from the 40s and 50s..  You can see in the bottom photo that a couple of the Wheats in the top row from the mid 40s and the 28 S have some corrosion on them.. 

I figure it’s either a depth factor or coin composition factor.. I tend to lean to the composition of the coin being the difference  since the early Wheats and Indian Head cents have a lower ID then the later Wheats.. 

Bryan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I tend to lean to the composition of the coin being the difference  since the early Wheats and Indian Head cents have a lower ID then the later Wheats.. 

That makes sense.

On 4/12/2018 at 3:34 AM, Cabin Fever said:

The two Semi key date Wheats are probably worth far more then any silver I might have found today so I thought I would show them off.

Absolutely.  Those early mintmarked Lincolns (1915 and earlier) are great finds.  Nice going.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:13 PM, Cabin Fever said:

I figure it’s either a depth factor or coin composition factor.. I tend to lean to the composition of the coin being the difference  since the early Wheats and Indian Head cents have a lower ID then the later Wheats.

Interesting hyphothesis.  Pretty sure all US pennies from late 1864 to early 1982 are 95% copper (with the obvious exception of 1943 zinc coated steel).  However, the last 5% can vary among tin, zinc, or both.  Recent years have been zinc.  Maybe those with tin hold up better.

• Like 1

Those wheat cents are in great shape. Chris Gholson and I just returned from a  productive relic hunt with the 
Nox and recovered a bunch of wheat cents. I haven't even looked at all of mine yet for dates and MMs. After your post I'm gonna go do just that. Thanks!

Dean

• Like 1

It's got to be a soil thing or a fertilizer thing or both. Here are 50 recent wheatback digs from Reno parks. It takes me some work just to read the date on most of them. Something about the soil here is not kind to copper pennies or nickels. Silver comes out of the ground nearly as clean as the day it was dropped thankfully.

Click for larger version...

herschbach-50-wheatback-pennies.jpg

Nice finds Bryan.

Thanks for sharing.

I look at the wheats like this.

Any one of them could have been a killer silver coin.

Besides the art of detecting, wheats just as hard to find in pounded sites.

David

• Like 1

These are my wheats since around August of 2017. Some I can read easy out of the ground but most are just too hard to clean up so I just throw them in here. I have no idea how many are in the glass jar but like TNSS said any one of them could have been a smokin' silver coin. 

IMG_1008.jpg

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      This thread is so people don't think metal detecting is just digging good stuff. I do a lot of detecting where I just toss stuff in a pile for sorting later. Time to clean house so here are a few piles and some notes.
      First up - learning session with Minelab GPZ 7000 at Lake Tahoe beach. Fresh water lake but very mineralized beaches, loaded with magnetite sands and hot rocks. Just digging everything, and did find a ring, but just a little silver one with fake stones. Basically coins except nickels and zinc pennies go lo-hi tone. Only other lo-hi tones normally nails. Everything else hi-lo tones.
      First photo the pile, next photo sorted out so you can see most common trash items. Call this BEACH TRASH

Next up mostly stuff found nugget detecting, but also some park detecting snuck into that pile. The sorted pile shows trash you might find nugget detecting. Nuggets of course got pocketed as found so nothing to show there. Call this NUGGET DETECTING TRASH.

Extra photo showing volume of small trash targets not worth trying to sort out....

And finally some park detecting with various detectors, mostly DFX and Gold Racer plus Racer 2 and Deus. I am digging a lot of trash items for educational/learning purposes while comparing machines. The sorted pile only shows common trash; I discarded all the weird stuff. Call this PARK TRASH.

Anyway, I hope this shows that it is not all digging "good stuff" and also an idea what the most common trash items are for people who have not done this sort of thing before.
    • By phrunt
      I had about two hours this morning where I was able to go to the spot I've found quite a number of odd old coins in the past, it's not far at all from my house and it's the site of an old farmhouse that was ripped down sometime around the 60's.  I only had a short time as the weather is kicking in and we are meant to get a snowstorm tonight, the wind really picked up so I had to leave as it was blowing strong wind and rain, it was painful to leave as I was having such a good hunt..  I've found out the farmhouse had an old horder live in it and it was riddled with junk, he had about 15 cars parked on the land and he just collected all sorts of old things.  When he died eventually the old weatherboard house was demolished but I think they just pushed it all over and buried most of it in the land.
      The site is just now a paddock but I watched the farming plowing it yesterday ready for planting out so I thought now is the time to try hit it again just incase the plough has brought something up within my range, and right I was.
      I used my Equinox 800 this time as I had a few questions answered by people on the forum yesterday about coin and jewellery hunting and how I should best go about it in junk filled areas.  I was previously just blocking out every VDI number except about six or so numbers which I knew coins would fall into which made cherry picking these coins quite simple and successful but I was missing out on finding anything else like rings or coins that fall outside of my cherry picked numbers.
      Instead on this hunt I ran in Park 1 with sensitivity 25 and left everything else at Defaults except, I pressed the Horseshoe button!  I was prepared to dig everything that wasn't obviously a bad iron target and I was preferring to dig solid numbers, not really wild VDI's as I only had a couple of hours knowing the weather was about to pack it in.
      I was pulling up quite a number of coins with my weirdest coin of the hunt an old NZ Half Penny, I can't read the date properly on it but it looks like 1960 which rang up a perfect VDI of 26, a number I had previously blocked out, and a 1965 threepence which is made of nickel and is the second one of them I've found in the past couple of weeks and they seem to always come up as VDI 5 to 6, again numbers I'd been blocking out previously.  Two coins are in such bad condition I can't work out what they are but they were coming up as 9 and 21 and two reasonably modern NZ $1 and$2coins which come up as 21 but the funny thing about them is their date is both 2008 and they were both right near each other when I found them.
      I suspect one of the unreadable coins is a very bad condition 5 cent as it comes up as VDI 8, very close to the 9 of the 5 cent that is legible, perhaps being corroded it comes up slightly lower, its the exact same size.
      The other unreadable coin is slightly smaller, so I'm not sure what it is as it comes up as a VDI 21, I actually thought I was going to be digging a $1 coin when I found that.
      So now that I know to leave my numbers open and not discriminate out everything I may have more success in finding things other than the items I was chasing.
      I think I'm going to have to hit the beach I found all the coins the other night again with the numbers wide open this time, digging a lot more, but also possibly getting more good targets.

I've just been washing my coins in water when I get home to take the photos, is that the best method? I'm not sure about older coins if I should do much in the way of cleaning them such as the threepence has a big mark on the front and back of it, not sure if I should try clean that mark off or just leave it there.  Modern coins obviously don't matter but I don't want to damage older coins trying to clean them.

• By normmcq
      Went for an afternoon hunt yesterday to an area that had several music festivals over the years. I didn't expect to find any silver coins, and I didn't.
      A relatively small area produced a good number of coins, pull tabs and other miscellaneous junk along with a Swiss Army knife that was in three pieces. The handles had become separated from the knife.
       After getting home and inspecting my finds,I discovered the knife handles are 925 sterling with an engraved name on one of them.I will try to contact that person. A very expensive little knife

• By Happa54
      Hey everyone,
      I get out on Sundays. Some half days and some full days. Half days you don't get much except a lot of clad, and full days you will work your butt off literally, for a few worth mentioning finds.
      You really gotta work these parks. You have to find areas where there aren't crowds so driving around finding that right spot takes time from your day. Leaving the house at 6am or earlier is the norm for me. 
      I'm still on a buffalo/V nickel quest and averaging 20 -30 nickels per hunt. Got a buffalo this past Sunday, 2 silver dimes and a few wheats. I come home dirty/sweaty due to the heat but I'm liking every minute of it.
      I hope everyone had a great weekend hunt.

• By Buzzard
      I got out for a little bit , so I took my Nox out to see how the new update worked.
      So far UI am happy with it, and to me it seemed a little more sensitive.
      My finds.
        First pic is ll I found on the walk , 2nd pic is close up of an earring I found

• By phrunt
      Yesterday started as a day to find gold, I went to the place I went last weekend with Kiwijw where he found 12 nuggets or something, seems to be his norm lately that he gets into double digits.  I only had my Nox with me last weekend and I was getting overloaded with pellets so this weekend I decided I'd take my GPX to avoid getting so many pellets and hopefully a little nugget, but no such luck, the GPX was still getting lots of pellets, only they were deeper ones, missing some of the surface pellets, but not all.  Now instead of digging pellets 2 cm down, I was digging pellets 10 cm down.
      I am sure if there was a nugget there I would have found it, the GPX was running like a dream, even with big high voltage power lines nearby, some days they mess with it, others they don't... and this day was perfect.  I followed everybody's advice and took my time, covered the area completely at a slow pace, digging everything, after a couple of hours once I'd covered the area completely with the GPX and Nugget Finder 14x9 Evo I went back over it with the Nox and 6" in Gold 2 with Iron bias 0 and sensitivity 24 and the horseshoe button pressed, ended up digging another 14 pellets the GPX missed although it had got 21 pellets and about half of them were 10+ cm and old brown looking things, not the usual pellet I get with the Nox as they're usually still grey or shiney silver.  It was starting to get dark and my chicken and chips from lunch was starting to wear off so I thought I'd go get a burger for dinner.

These are the pellets, the larger rusty looking ones are the type the GPX was getting down deep, they look very old.  the tiny ones below are some of the smallest pellets I've ever found, The GPX was able to detect them as a slight change in threshold but I really struggled to find them with the large coil so used the Nox to pinpoint where they were.  I am surprised just how small the GPX can detect with the 14x9 EVO when my settings are fine tuned for small gold.
      I really didn't want to go home with my second skunk in a row, I hate doing that as my wife questions why I bother, she just doesn't understand so while eating my burger I decided I'd go hit a local playground as I read on here often how well people do in playgrounds and I knew this one had at least one ring in it as my daughter was playing there one day about 6 months ago and a lady and her friend were wildly digging in there searching for a ring one of them had lost, she was quite upset at losing it but they eventually gave up as the fine little pebbles in the playground were about 30cm deep and so easy to lose something in.  I went back the next day at 4am as this playground is on the lake and is full of people from first daylight until late at night but I was new to my Nox at the time at the 11" coil was just going nuts with all the bottle tops and ring pulls and alloy wrapper bits and so on I had no hope with my Nox ability to use it in this junk filled gravel.
      Now I am much better at using and understanding my Nox and I was armed with the 6" coil which wouldn't overload so much on the junk so I was eager to give it another try.  I got to the park only to find out they've ripped the entire park out and are rebuilding a new bigger better park, all the wonderful pebbles filled with treasures were gone!!!!! 
      I was determined to go home with something so I started detecting the waterfront and coins were popping up all over the place

I didn't dig too much junk at all even though the gravels on the waterfront are filled with bottle caps and pull tabs as I was exclusively cherry picking coins and only left the coin numbers available on the VDI, all other numbers were discriminated out, I will go back one day and hit the area without the discrimination just in case there is some jewellery to be found but on this particular trip I didn't have time to mess around, I just wanted to go home without a skunk.
      The oldest coin there is a 1937 NZ threepence which is 50% silver, and it was on edge 🙂 The Nox update worked   A lot of these coins were on edge, It must just be how the lake gravel lets them sink down.
      The little LED on my Garrett Pro Pointer AT was a life saver and made detecting in the dark possible, it's so bright I was able to use it as a torch, the Carrot was also used to quickly recover all the coins, I really like my Carrot for coin hunting, I couldn't imagine doing it without it.  The 6" coil is brilliant for trashy areas and the Nox is so versatile, gold prospecting by day, coin shooting by night!  
      All the modern coins are now in my daughters money box, so she's happy as can be and I turned my skunk around in their eyes.