Ideas For Changing Audio Tones/Sounds?

Hi all,

A new detector is only as good as the new owners ability to set it up properly, and understand what he/she is seeing/hearing...

I agree on some detectors sounds being acceptable, where others may be very irritating to the ear. I don't mind the Minelab pulse detectors sounds, as well as Gold Bugs, and Whites Goldmasters, BUT while I would like to like the sounds of a Minelab Explorer and the CTX 3030, they just annoy me, for some reason...maybe there is a way to internally make their sounds more acceptable???

I am all ears...

Gary/Largo

On older units there may be an ability to vary tones internally via a pot but newer detectors it is usually done in software.

Different headphones sound different to a certain degree so that can possible make a difference. I always wondered about the use of various audio plug in devices to possibly vary tone outputs but have never experimented at all with that.

• Like 1

I actually find myself using the green leds on my SDC 2300 quite a lot. I know as a system it is not exactly high resolution, but it gives my ears a rest and is pretty good at indicating when a target is close. Maybe converting the sound waves to a high quality visual representation would be an interesting way to go. Then you can get rid of the headphones altogether.

I hear you Largo. I used a Sovereign for years,best tones ever in my oponion. Owned 3 explorers,and nevet could like those flutey tones. Now I relic hunt more than anything. The AT Pro is real good in working iron...but with the iron i.d on,damn iron tone gives me a headache. Now I can run my Deus all day in Full tones in a carpet of nails,and doesnt bother me at all. The Tesoro Tejon adressed this by making the tone adjustable...nice feature. Ray

• Like 1

Hi all,

Ray hit it on the head with his "flutey" description of the detector sounds which are somehow irritating. That is exactly the word description I was looking for.

That detector sound just grates on me, like fingernails dragged across an old chalkboard. I can tolerate it for a while, but it seems to take the enjoyment out of the process somehow. These days, chalkboards are something to be found in a museum, so we may have to find another comparison, so the younger set will know what we are talking about...

Have a great day!

Gary/Largo

I've always wondered why someone couldn't make a device that would take the audio signal, like from a Gold Bug 2, and have it "listen" for the tones for you. I can tell the difference between lead and gold on my GB 2. Seems like a device could do this better.

The funny thing is some people just love that fluty sound!

Signal processing is where it is at for sure. The best detectorists hunt by ear, and they are discerning things that good software should be able to emulate. I think that is where Minelab maintains their edge with the FBS detectors. A lot going on in software there.

Anyone that can tell the difference between lead and gold with a detector is a far better detectorist than I am!

• Like 1